What's new

iOS 5.1 Released

as always thanks, Skull. I know you don't live in the jailbroken world. But those of us who live in the jailbroken world have a constant readout of all memory usage through a status bar we can engage called "SBS Settings". I am regularly emptying ram down to its bare bones. So I'm quite sure that has nothing to do with my battery issue personally. It's just in the jailbroken world it's way easier to keep control of your RAM usage than it is in the un-jailbroken world.

It's with that same app from Cydia that I can tell for 99% sure that none of the apps I use regularly are releasable from ram by using the status bar wiggly icon removal technique you refer to. After a couple of hours of testing today I verified that it has no effect on emptying the ram. SBS settings "free up memory" subroutine clears all processes, wired or otherwise, that you've been referring to.

But I am eager to discover your findings when you wish to share them. And, again, thank you for your always clear and detailed answers.

I do the same...I think I may have a little case of OCD, I cannot keep stuff running or open if I am not using it. Interesting what Skull said though that doing this can actually drain more battery....

pianoman said:
Well - still confused. I did exactly what you prescribe with the one at a time method (not with phone or message apps) and absolutely no difference whatsoever in RAM availability when I "force quit" the app the way you mention. I'm 99% convinced that status bar is simply a list of shortcuts to your most recently used apps. . :)

If u had a jail-broken phone and was running background killer with sbsettings ram indicator at the top u would see that if you had abou10t-15 apps on that board then used background killer it would free up about 100 mb

bkkperson said:
If u had a jail-broken phone and was running background killer with sbsettings ram indicator at the top u would see that if you had abou10t-15 apps on that board then used background killer it would free up about 100 mb

Yes it does free up ram, but on mine it is not consistent, in fact sometimes I run out of ram and the phone will crash immediately after performing the background kill but will have approx. 300mb when it restarts...quite annoying

Final stats for the first battery run of 5.1

42% Battery Left
Usage: 5:04
Standby: 17:00

Not bad. Using simple extrapolation I should have been able to hit 8.75 hours with no issue.

Tomorrow I do the same test without closing anything.

Skull One said:

42% Battery Left

Not bad. Using simple extrapolation I should have been able to hit 8.75 hours with no issue.

Wow that's goood

What's a good benchmark

I'm on usage 1hr
Standby 2
Now at 85%

Very interesting. I may have to acquire a device to jailbreak then. Because after dissecting Android down to the kernel, it has been rather frustrating trying to troubleshoot a closed system.

Oh and keeping the RAM cleared at all times actually does cause battery drain. The penalty for constantly having to rotate things into memory can be steep.
Doh! Yes, good point. I'm not OCD about the ram emptying - but the main thing I wanted to clear up once and for all was to dispel the myth (which I can now) that emptying the app status bar has anything to do with clearing ram. It does not.

That status bar is only a "list" of "recently used" apps - which is what all Apple's written materials tell us too.

Last edited:

42% Battery Left

Skull, are you running with all Location Services buttons turned on for all apps? And for the system apps - are all those buttons turned back on? An upgrade of software wouldn't have reset them to on if you'd turned them off at all. And is your mail set to PUSH? And what interval? I just want to see how hard you're pushing you're phone. Most of us don't have our phones on standby in anywhere near that amount of hours. We use it a lot more. While in standby what were you doing with it? Just some forum chat? A few emails? Talk to us about your usage that day.

Thanks!

Is there a reason this thread (IOS 5.1) is not viewable in the main Verizon Forum listing. Got to it via the link closing the 'stutter' question.

Last edited:
Doh! Yes, good point. I'm not OCD about the ram emptying - but the main thing I wanted to clear up once and for all was to dispel the myth (which I can now) that emptying the app status bar has anything to do with clearing ram. It does not.

That status bar is only a "list" of "recently used" apps - which is what all Apple's written materials tell us too.

That is exactly what I was saying as well. It changes the status of which RAM "bucket" it is in but it only unloads it from memory if another application calls for memory and iOS determines it needs to free it.

I still want to play with a jailbroking phone now to see if I can trace the exact steps iOS takes as it removes an app from Active/Wired to Inactive memory allocation.

Skull, are you running with all Location Services buttons turned on for all apps? And for the system apps - are all those buttons turned back on? An upgrade of software wouldn't have reset them to on if you'd turned them off at all. And is your mail set to PUSH? And what interval? I just want to see how hard you're pushing you're phone. Most of us don't have our phones on standby in anywhere near that amount of hours. We use it a lot more. While in standby what were you doing with it? Just some forum chat? A few emails? Talk to us about your usage that day.

Thanks!

I have locations services on. I have 27 apps that are listed. Of those 9 are set to on.

Under system services I have 4 of the possible 6 on. Diags and iAds are turned off.

This configuration was originally on my iPhone 4 and was then restored to my iPhone 4S on Oct 14th. So I have been at this constant state for almost 5 months.

My daily routine is rather predictable:
Words and Hanging with Friends: 20 minutes a day.
Flipboard: 45 minutes
IPF.Net: 30 minutes.
Email: 30 minutes.
Texting: 20 minutes.
Calls: 40 minutes.
Safari: 60 minute
Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Angry Birds, GD Swarm (very graphic heavy): 90 minutes
A lot of little apps probably add another 75 minutes.

Yesterdays run was actually lite because I was working with my wife on an insurance issue last night and then I was upgrading Parallels from version 6 to version 7 along with rebuilding 3 of my virtual machines. So I am missing easily 2 hours of usage from that run.

Why when I go to iTunes to update it shows the newer version being 5.0.1. Not the 5.1. Do I have to update to 5.0.1 first?

I thought I did a recent update. Where do I see what version of iTunes I have?