What's new

iOS 5.1 Finally Ready for Release

iHolophyte said:
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
Redesigned Camera app for iPad
Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
Updated AT&T network indicator
Addresses bugs affecting battery life
Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Thats the spec for the update I've just done. I can't see any change at all other than single home button click now shows camera icon instead of double click.

iHolophyte

The camera short cut appears not to work on my iPod touch did before update

Touch the icon and slide up to open the camera app i dont know why its like that but thats how mine is.

YAY!!! Working on it now!! I had to crank up the ole' computie to update my devices because it had to update iTunes.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update From NYC iPF.net

tlbaker said:
YAY!!! Working on it now!! I had to crank up the ole' computie to update my devices because it had to update iTunes.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update From NYC iPF.net

OK up and running!!

Sent from my Tricked Out Pink Hearts Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Whats 5.1 got that 5.01 hasnt? (not sure if i will bother updating at all to be honest if all you get is a camera icon on the lockscreen which i already have anyway with a cydia tweak?)

prawns said:
Whats 5.1 got that 5.01 hasnt? (not sure if i will bother updating at all to be honest if all you get is a camera icon on the lockscreen which i already have anyway with a cydia tweak?)

Fixes for the bugs that 5.0.1 had of coarse. Supposedly.

Ignoring bugfixes, are there any actual features added? (new features not just cosmetic changes like different telco logos)

I read somthing about face detection but Im not sure if this applies to a iphone4 or not (whether its a new feature or a bugfix applicable only to a different device)

Google is not my friend today, i seem to be doing circles with the same information just rehashed makes it hard for clarification

prawns said:

If you have jail broken iphone, its recommended that you do not upgrage any way.

yeah might skip it I think. I notice a tethered JB is out already for 5.1 - thats fast! perhaps a untethered JB isnt too far off anyway :)

prawns said:
yeah might skip it I think. I notice a tethered JB is out already for 5.1 - thats fast! perhaps a untethered JB isnt too far off anyway :)

The Tethered JB on 5.1 is only on pre-A5 devices. Since there's a bootrom exploit that will always exist on the iPhone 4 and previous iPhones, there will always be a Tethered JB for them.

Just downloaded the update and I know have 4g on the screen where it was 3 g before the update on my 4s. Did the update on my wife's 4 and it stayed 3G.

The Tethered JB on 5.1 is only on pre-A5 devices. Since there's a bootrom exploit that will always exist on the iPhone 4 and previous iPhones, there will always be a Tethered JB for them.

Cheers for the heads up on that - I was unaware thats how it worked :)