What's new

iOS 5.1 Released

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS_5_1_out.JPG

9to5 Mac reports that iOS 5.1 has finally been released today. It was mentioned during the launch of the new iPad in San Francisco today that the new iPad was running iOS 5.1. The new OS seems to have a lot of features for the photography aspects of iOS devices, including the ability to delete photos from Photo Stream, an always-visible camera shortcut on Lock Screen for the iPhones and iPod touch 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gen, the ability for camera face detection to now highlight all detected faces, and a redesigned camera app for iPad. Other general fixes include the addressing of bugs affecting battery life, which is bound to please a lot of people, as well as podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad, Genius mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers, louder and clearer audio for TV shows and movies on iPad, an updated AT&T network indicator, and a fix for an issue that caused audio to sometimes drop for outgoing calls.

The update is out now, so why not try connect to iTunes now and download it, or simply go to Settings> General>Software Update to download wirelessly.

[FONT=&amp]Source: iOS 5.1 is out: Redesigned Camera app, battery optimizations, delete Photo Stream images | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence, Apple[/FONT]

Just updated mine and I can't notice any difference other than when I single press the home button the camera icon shows up rather than double click before! WOW so glad I updated! I know there's secret hidden things like battery performance and all that but the way these updates get hyped I wanted it jumping all over me.

iHolophyte

Click on Safari, it should no longer go straight to bookmarks!!!

That is progress!

OH I just thought of another one!

You can now delete photos in the Photo Stream. Now there is progress in making an app actually worth using!

Up and running.

Sent from my Tricked Out Pink Hearts Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Love the swipe up on the new camera on the lock screen. Somehow this thing seems faster even though that wasnt part of the update.

If I wanted to upgrade my 4s jailbroken on 5.0.1 to 5.1, could i just do the upgrade via the phone? Yes, I would lose the JB, but I can't afford to lose some game DATA, like FIFA12, which has no backup features, either to iCloud or their own service. Do I have to back up the entire phone through iTunes, or something else?

i started the download and its saying it will take 6 hours to download

egobuster1 said:
i started the download and its saying it will take 6 hours to download

YIKES.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Anybody got update on battery, that would be the only reason id lose my jailbreak

yeah well i found somewhere that is hosting the IPSW files so im downloading it and going to see if it works

Just updated mine through iTunes because the phone had an error every time I tried. Appears too many iPhone users were trying to download at the same time.

Hope to get a few more minutes of charge.

Skull One said:
Click on Safari, it should no longer go straight to bookmarks!!!

That is progress!

Mine never goes to bookmarks when I open safari and I'm on 5.0.1