What's new

Time for upgrade (coming from Android world...)

Battery life on Apple i5 .. 4.1

on S3 .. 3.8

Ya the problem with that is the amount of people in the world that are fan boys for one side or the other and slant their opinions towards one side or the other for whatever reason when they have never even seen the other side to base a real opinion on. I don't know why people cannot have a bias opinion when it comes to android and apple.

I can't really comment on the battery life of a stock s3 because mine was rooted within 15min of getting it lol but I can say 100% my s3 out lasts my 4s and my wife's ip5 two fold when it comes to battery life. Now my 4s is jail broke with over 40+ tweaks and my wife's ip5 obviously stock.
Here's a ss I took of the s3 the other day. 14± hrs since it was unplugged. Not plugged in at all as you can see from ss, and I was only at 61% battery
e2y9a9em.jpg

I can get decent battery life out of the 4s but not anywhere near this. Only thing I wish I took a ss of the hours the screen was on because I believe I was already at 2.5hrs screen on time when the ss was taken...

Tapatalk'd / Galaxy SIII / Beans Rom

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1349292485377.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1349292485377.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
If you root/unlock/flash custom kernels and roms then you will NOT find a better phone out right now than the S3. The s3 hands down with the right kernel and rom is faster and out performs all phones on the market.

BUT, if you do not root/unlock/flash then you may as well have an iphone because that is what android is all about anyways. I can't think of one android phone that is perfect without flashing it. IPhones are meant for the user friendly people that buy a phone and don't mess with it.

That's my. 02, I have the s3 and the wife has a ip5, they are both great phones. It's really all person preference. The whole android vs ios war is ridiculous because it all boils down to person preference.

Couldn't agree more! I originally had the OG Droid, and just came from the Rezound, and love the iPhone 5. When I first got the OG Droid, I was obsessed with flashing ROMs, kernels, everything. Slowly I started not having the time to play on my phone 24/7, so the Rezound was a good choice, as it is pretty fast, and I just would flash a ROM once a week or so. Up until I bought the iPhone 5, flashing ROMs and everything just didn't excite me like it used to, and I started noticing the little things that bring Android down IMO. Things like stutering while swiping through the homescreen, poor(er) app quality, the amount of hangups/freezes, etc. and played with my fiance's new 5 and was impressed, especially by the battery life lol

dan323 said:
When you sell your iPhone down the road to get the iPhone 6 you'll get more money for the trade then you will for the s3.

and part of that is within the post above.

I went IOS from Windows CE, what swayed me as a businessman?

Android makers are forever bringing out new OS's, but few offer to upgrade promptly, restricting what new app's you can use, often after seemingly a very short time, if ever.

my fear is the Android front runners today, for all their admitted glitter will 'tarnish' much quicker. if you have disposable income to keep buying new Android models seeking that real iPhone beater, it is then possibly a less of a factor.

Androids have got more stable but then Apple IOS devices have been the most stable platform from day one.

TBH i disliked the casings on pre ip4 models, and the iPads moved to the same shape (why?) from the iPad. i'd prefer a smaller screen option for the ipad2/3, but i do not want a phone handset the size of the S III.

Personal choice of what i like is more important to me, than being seen to be going with the herd. whatever phone you have it will not make you more attractive to the other sex (or the same sex!?), it won't even make your car go any faster either!

There's a few advantages iPhones have over most droids.
First off, iPhones are built very solid and feel good in the hand. Lots of droids are made of cheap plastic.
The operating system. This is a matter of opinion, but personally I find iOS to be a lot simpler, smoother, good looking, and easy to use.
The app store. Nobody can beat the apple app store. There's an app for everything.

imnew2ios said:
I had the Samsung galaxy S3 which is the best android phone that's out. I got rid of it to get the iphone 5. I don't regret it at all. Android OEM's don't pay attention to detail like Apple does. They just seem to rush headsets out in a hurry to stay on top. When picking up an iPhone I can feel the quality. I can't say the same about any of my android phones in the past. Get the iphone 5 don't settle for less :)

And this is why I'm thinking of switching to a iPhone. I love some of the things you can do on a android but there is always something they didn't do right in the hardware.

And this is why I'm thinking of switching to a iPhone. I love some of the things you can do on a android but there is always something they didn't do right in the hardware.

Depending on what phone you have makes the difference if it's a good move. If you have the gs3, you'd be crazy to switch. If you have anything else then I could see how ip5 would be a good switch

iphone feels awesome in hand unlike samsung which still gives old plastic feel when u hold it....

InkedAdrenaline said:
Depending on what phone you have makes the difference if it's a good move. If you have the gs3, you'd be crazy to switch. If you have anything else then I could see how ip5 would be a good switch

Why would he? Maybe he's sick of feeling plastic on a $650 phone every time he picks it up.. Plus he might be tired of looking at pentiles, & the camera that has a 8mp camera but lacks in the sensor department. I would say he's pretty sane.

InkedAdrenaline said:

Yea I know what you are saying. I have a galaxy nexus. Its a pretty good phone but just a few things from being great. I'm look at the gs3 but have been wanting to try iPhone cause of the build quality and the "it just works"

Last edited:
I have the S3 and iPhone 4s. Both feel awesome. You just have more connectivity with S3 aside from being able to expand the storage. I think Android has more free apps. Since Apple only releases a new iphone every year the market value stays at a very good level... Unlike Samsung which releases phones every month... If you need more connectivity go Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used a an iPhone before and currently have the S3. I've been using androids since 2010 and I guess I'm bored, I really want to try the iphone 5. I've come close to getting like 3 times already but the people at the stores always stop me saying it would be a bad move to go from an S3 to an iPhone because of all the features I'd lose.

I am a bit worried about it, like I said, I've never had an iPhone before, so I don't even know what exactly I'd be losing. Ive grown bored of rooting and roms, didnt even bother with the S3. So now all I do is message, calls, emails, browse a lot, and I have a few apps I use all the time, which are available from your app store as well. So im not sure what I'd be losing if I make the switch. I know I'd lose a bit on the ability to customize the look of my phone, but since I've been doing that for so long with different launchers, I'm kind of sick of it so its not a deal breaker.

I played with a 5 yesterday for about 20 minutes, the screen makes my S3 look like a piece of crap. Camera is a big issue with me, although the iphone camera seemed better in the store, I can't tell for sure as there was good lighting and I couldnt move much so the pics were just of things on the display lol what I do know is I'm not happy with my S3 camera. More often than not my shots come out blurry, even in great lighting.

I guess I just need a little encouragement as I'm scared since I'm so used to android and it will be expensive.

I can either trade my phone +200 with someone from kijiji, or pay $429+tax to pay off the S3 from my contract, and then its $279+ 35 for the 32gb iphone 5 and then I would sell whichever one I didnt want to keep.

Sorry for the long confusing post, this decision has been driving me nuts lol what do you all think?

This response is for Chicki and anybody else looking to switch to the iPhone so this may be long response.

My first smartphone was a Droid X and right off the bat I hated it because the speaker volume was too silent so I traded it back in for a Samsung Fascinate. The Fascinate was a great phone for the first 2-3 months and then it started freezing, lagging, etc. which was a pain. On top of those problems the GPS was way off and Froyo wasn't available on that phone and wasn't availabe until April 2011 (I got the Fascinate late Sept 10' early Oct 10'). I added another line in Feb 11' to get the iPhone 4 when Verizon got it. I tried out the Nexus back in Dec 11' not that I didn't like the iPhone 4 but to see what the fuss was about. I didn't like the Nexus(poor speaker and camera) so I tried the Droid Razr and didn't like that phone (great speaker but the camera and screen display was awful) plus I just didn't like Motorola's OS, I just missed iOS. So I went back to my iPhone 4 and I will never go back to Android and here are my reasons:

Built quality: The only Android phone thats built quality comes close to iPhone is Motorola but even that still has that plastic feeling to it. I've owned two Motorola Droids and wasn't impressed with both cameras and one of the external speakers. Picking up the iPhone you can feel the sturdiness and durabilty of the phone. Sure the iPhone 4 is covered in glass but I have a case to protect my phone and those instances where my phone wasn't covered and I did drop my iPhone, the phone itself still held up pretty good just a little scratch on the corner and this was on concrete while I was grilling.

iOS: I've had my iPhone 4 since February 2011 and its been working flawlessly for almost 2 years and feels like I just got it yesterday. When I had my Fascinate it worked perfectly for 2-3 months and then it would constantly freeze, lag, etc after that, so I had to take the battery out and put it back in to get it to work. Apples OS system is more flawless, smoother, and over all more user friendlier than Androids OS. You just can't beat Apple's iOS.

Accessories: There are way more accessories for the iPhone than Android hands down. You'll find more docks for your iPhone than you will for Android phones but there are some newer docks that have both connectors for both phones. There are more cases for iPhones than there are for Androids and I like variety.

Apps: There are way more Apps in the App Store than there are in the Market or Google Play whatever its called now. I believe that there are more free apps in Google Play but its never bugged me to purchase an app in the App Store as long as that app works. It may just be me but it seems like the apps in the App Store are more reliable than apps for Android.

iCloud: Sure its nice to have more storage like Android has with its Micro SD cards but what happens if you lose your phone or its stolen? How will you get your photos, apps, music back? With iCloud you'll get all of those back and other stuff like notes, contacts, calender stuff I believe which is really nice. The only thing I wished iCloud would also save and store would be the videos I've taken.

iPhone Brand: Every new phone is always being compared to the iPhone there is no denying that. Why is that? I believe its because Apple has taken the time to make the best smartphones on market in all phases: OS, built quality, call quality, apps, and so forth. Its no secrete the way the iPhone has changed the phone industry and the way these newer Android phones are trying to catch up. Sure the newer Androids may have a faster processor and some cool/weird features, but why does all of that stuff matter when more than likely within a few months that phone will probably crash, lag, crack.

Software Updates: All Apple phones will get the new software updates on day one where all Android phones will not. Again why spend $200+ on a phone with the latest and greatest features when that phone won't get the latest software update until a few months down the road to take advantage of your phones cool new features? Some Android phones will get the new update while a lot of other Android phones will have to play the waiting game.

I feel like I'm missing out on some stuff but thats all I can think of at the moment

Last edited:
*snip*

iCloud: Sure its nice to have more storage like Android has with its Micro SD cards but what happens if you lose your phone or its stolen? How will you get your photos, apps, music back? With iCloud you'll get all of those back and other stuff like notes, contacts, calender stuff I believe which is really nice. The only thing I wished iCloud would also save and store would be the videos I've taken.

*snip*

Have good news for you. If you do an iCloud backup, it does backup videos from the camera roll.

Now Photo Stream does not handle videos that are taken and that is where some of the confusion stems from.

Having owned both an SGS3 (sold last week) and an iPhone 5 I can honestly say that there are only four things that the S3 has over the iPhone; expandable memory, removable battery, a bigger screen and NFC.

Yes, I know there are lots of other little things, such as the frankly useless picture-in-picture (I used it once and that was to show someone the cool picture-in-picture function), widgets and UI customisation, but none of them are what I would call essential. The speeds of the phone are for the most part very very similar in a real world perspective. Sure, benchmarks might say otherwise in day-to-day use, you won't notice any difference in speed between the SGS3 and iPhone 5.

Of the four things listed above, here are my thoughts and opinions on them from my experience.
  1. Expandable memory - Quite handy if you want to move lots of large files about
  2. Removable battery - Essential for me as the stock battery on my SGS3 would not even last a day on standby with less than an hour of use (yes I probably did have a 'Friday Afternoon Phone'). Compared to teh iPhone which will easily go two days between charges with moderate use. Mind blowing!
  3. Bigger screen - Actually the SGS3 was juuuuust too big to use with one hand. The iPhone 5 screen is pushing it, but still just about useable with one hand.
  4. NFC - No NFC enabled business anywhere near where I live or work, so this is purely a gimmick for me. Maybe in the years to come it will gain prominence but for now, in the South UK, it's not an essential feature.

What do I miss from the Android device?
  1. Well, I would actually like to have a couple of widgets on my home screen to present information I need at my fingertips for my job.
  2. The customisation options were great (jailbreaking, once released to the public, will open up customisation for the iPhone anyway).
  3. The expandable memory was useful but I can always carry a 64gig USB stick with me instead of the USB charging cable, so that's not really an issue.

What I don't miss?
  1. Woeful battery life.
  2. An operating system that just kept on crashing again and again and again. I was constantly told that in order to make the OS stable I need to root the phone. In all honesty, if I need to do something not recommended by the manufacturer in order to make the phone work properly then there is something seriously wrong somewhere.
  3. Wondering if the app I have bought will actually be compatible with my phone even though Google Play says they will (yes, a few apps just refused to work or would force close, even though they were allegedly compatible with the S3. Once you miss the refund window, you're stuck with a paid-for app where its only function is to take up space on your screen. You can delete it, but you PAID for it damnit!).
  4. The cheap feel of the phone. Mine suffered from torsion, i could actually bend it by gripping the corners and twisting.
  5. Updates being rolled out when the carrier decided to as they needed to make the new OS version compatible with their apps
  6. Bloatware. Oh the bloatware. Again, you can get rid of it if you root the phone but see point 2 above.