What's new

Coming from Android, Comparisons and Questions

mister69 said:
Just navigating through screens and apps etc

I don't want to get into a debate about why benchmarks are generally misleading. When you have two different devices only high level application type benchmarks are really valid. Such as page load speed or photo taking or search. Even then these can be influenced by external factors making them invalid unless you control all variables.

I can tell you both are pretty fast devices compared to the rest of the market.

I don't want to get into a debate about why benchmarks are generally misleading. When you have two different devices only high level application type benchmarks are really valid. Such as page load speed or photo taking or search. Even then these can be influenced by external factors making them invalid unless you control all variables.

I can tell you both are pretty fast devices compared to the rest of the market.

You know it's not like it's really going to make a difference to me if one device takes 1 second longer to load a page then the other. That could depend upon your carrier as well as the device Both are high end, do you want an Android or IOS.

I just ran a test against my dual core Bionic and my iPhone bringing up the same web site. iPhone smoked the Bionic and the Bionic was not slow, I was amazed at how much faster it was. But had I not done the side by side I probably never have noticed.

Thanks all!

I have verizon

How long did it take u all to get ur iPhone.?

Apple.com says 4 week wait....any suggestions.?

I'm about a week into my first iPhone, and I REALLY miss the widgets Android provided. I know it's a "first-world problem" but I don't want to click into my calendar to see what's in store for today....I had a widget that would show 3-4 days of activity at the top of my screen, without any clicking. It really helped my terrible memory. Now I have to REMEMBER to click the calendar app in order to REMIND myself of appointments....something I now have to get used to. Hopefully I don't miss any appointments. (And yes, I know about alerts.)

Plus, apparently I type too fast for Android AND iPhone. I thought this problem would go away switching to the new phone, but it didn't. My phone would and does delete words after typing the entire word. I have to re-type them slower. Also, it will do this with common letter combinations, like "th". I never thought it would be detrimental to be able to type fast (although my phone typing is slower than my 98wpm on a PC keyboard.) I used the SwiftKey app on my Android phone, which helped noticeably; I haven't tried it on the iPhone yet.

I AM enjoying the faster processing speed, but I know that will decrease with time as it does with all computer-related products. Just like my new laptop won't be as fast on day 600 as it was on day 1. And a factory-reset once a year still doesn't bring it back to 100%.

There are also a lot LESS free apps with iPhone than with Android, and using the App Store is not as user friendly as the (Android/Google) Play Store.

I am also disappointed that I can't play streaming radio (Slacker) through my car stereo. I can play the stock "Music" app, like an iPod, through the stereo, but not streaming radio. I was sure I'd be able to do this, upgrading to an iPhone.

The battery life is also not what I expected. It IS an improvement over my previous phone, but it's not this "omg it lasts forever" that I keep reading about. And I'm not a steady user; my phone sits idle most of the day except to light up with the occasional email notification. I rarely talk on the phone. I AM very happy that Verizon finally sends out emails, telling you when your network usage is at certain levels of usage. Maybe they've been doing that for a while, but it was never available to me until I switched to the iPhone. The iPhone is also significantly heavier than my HTC, which was a surprise.

I need more time with it, but I already have many disappointments and complaints.......which shouldn't happen, especially since I'm a general, everyday user, not a phone geek (for lack of better word). I'm not interested in jailbreaking or rooting....I already have too many things to do/remember/control/futz with. I need my phone to work for ME, not for me to work for my phone.

So what do I like about my iPhone? I like that I can now carry 1 device as opposed to a phone+iPod. I anticipate improved picture/video quality (which is probably phone- not OS-related). I like the better processing speed (until that decreases...). Switching phones is a PITA, with having to move everything, make sure contacts are properly organized so as to not lose any....I sure hope later on that I decide it was worth it.

Last edited:
iPhones do not slow down over time. Period. End of that line of thought. Android does because as you add applications that require access to background processing, whether you requested or not, if the user doesn't delete the app from the phone it will simply keep going until the end of time.

You can not replace the keyboard application in iOS unless you jailbreak.

Android apps are free because that is exactly what they are worth. Also if you choose to have your data plan used up by advertisements, by using free Android apps, so be it. But I don't see the return on value at all since it would have been cheaper to spend the $1 to avoid the possibility of going over your data plan and getting charged $15.

The reason iOS is so stable is because they avoid widgets that constantly use CPU and GPU resources. Which is why the tag line "It just works" is true. But if you think you can't live within the so called "Walled Garden" of the iOS environment, I suggest you trade in your iPhone ASAP and switch back to Android before you can't do that cost effectively.

And no, this response is not a slam. It is a very serious response based on the fact that I have extensive backgrounds in both operating systems.

kittykatty said:
I'm about a week into my first iPhone, and I REALLY miss the widgets Android provided. I know it's a "first-world problem" but I don't want to click into my calendar to see what's in store for today....I had a widget that would show 3-4 days of activity at the top of my screen, without any clicking. It really helped my terrible memory. Now I have to REMEMBER to click the calendar app in order to REMIND myself of appointments....something I now have to get used to. Hopefully I don't miss any appointments. (And yes, I know about alerts.)

Don't know if you know about notification center - under settings - notifications? I ensure my calendar is on, drag it to top of the notifications and make sure your calendar events and emails are on in notification center then you don't have to click into calendar to show upcoming appointments. You just swipe down from the top of the screen which will work without exiting any current app you are in. Giving you a quick view of your notifications.

Well, I am eager to compare 2 yrs of Android use to 2 yrs of iPhone use. Especially the bit about "not slowing down over time".

Any comments on my typing problem? Other than the obvious "type slower"?

Full bars and phone timed out with my first reply, which I have to retype...slower than I usually would. Nice. Any comments on my typing problem and why my words get erased after I see them on the screen? Apart from the obvious "type slower"?

Well, I am eager to compare 2 yrs of Android use to 2 yrs of iPhone use. Especially the bit about "not slowing down over time".

Any comments on my typing problem? Other than the obvious "type slower"?

I really wish I could give you a better answer than "slow down", but I can't. Both of my daughters have exactly the same issue. The oldest is now on her 5th different Android phone in the past 3 years looking to solve that issue and my younger simply puts up with her iPhone 4 as it is after watching her sister deal with it by throwing money at the problem.

My oldest granddaughter, who is 4, simply uses Siri to text message family members. And she keeps up with everyone just fine. Personally, I think she is the smartest of the bunch. LOL

Typing isn't slow to me but the size of the screen makes a bit of a difference. Unfortunately on several different types of logins iPhone5 does not allow landscape. So that's a bit of a pain. But voice recognition is great for text or email. Makes up for typing issue.

I had the Samsung galaxy S3. It was okay but Samsung copies Apple but lack the attention to detail part. I got tired of feeling I own a knock off Gucci wallet from china town, so I got rid of it & waited in line for my iPhone 5. It didn't so down because it had 2gb of ram. It was like 45 processes running at once, it drove me nuts that it runs exactly like a computer but has a battery that would die faster than old ppl in the nursing home. " no offense to the elderly".

I had the Samsung galaxy S3. It was okay but Samsung copies Apple but lack the attention to detail part. I got tired of feeling I own a knock off Gucci wallet from china town, so I got rid of it & waited in line for my iPhone 5. It didn't so down because it had 2gb of ram. It was like 45 processes running at once, it drove me nuts that it runs exactly like a computer but has a battery that would die faster than old ppl in the nursing home. " no offense to the elderly".

U like the iPhone a lot better than the g3?