What's new

Coming from Android, Comparisons and Questions

hookbill

Reaction score
I've already found out without jail break you cannot customize your screen. Stock Android you could, but that's not a big deal, I can live with it the way it is.

I took a movie of my cats this morning and attempted to email it to my wife. Too large it said. Well, if it's too large for email then maybe I can put it in dropbox.

But there is no option to do that unless you have dropbox configured to move everything over there. And I wanted this in my wife's shared folder with me.

I got it there but I had to go into dropbox on my computer and then move it to my desktop. From there I could place it in the correct dropbox location.

Am I missing something here? Is thee an easier way o do this?

Overall I like the camera but I feel the sharing options are are bit limited. Oh strangely enough it did text to her, that I don't understand at all.

I thought losing customization meant simply that I wouldn't be able to do as much with jail break. I didn't know that you I'd lose so many basic things, custom home screens. No widgets to turn wifi and bluetooth on and off without going into settings.

I still like it, don't misunderstand me. I'm just making sure that I'm not missing something.

Things I do like: Siri...Works great sometimes when a mistake is made it's usually funny. I asked her for a list of animal hospitals and she came back with gas stations. Navigation was pretty close to google maps but it did miss a key street for me to turn on. Since I knew where I was going anyway no problem but following the directions would have left me in a water parks parking lot.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, I do believe it's an awesome phone but it's kind of like getting a new car. Not everything is in the same place and even though the car is better one or two options might not be available.

I too just switched to iphone from android and like you, I've found that some things are better and some worse. Siri is really nice, it has much better voice recognition than android. Camera is also superior to the one on my evo. I hate apple maps though. It gave me accurate directions, but the street names/exits are too small. I prefer to have that as larger text and the number of miles to next turn etc. to be smaller. I was squinting to see the names. No doubt the smaller screen size on the iphone contributed to that as well. I suggest downloading the Waze app, (its free) the maps are better and you get additional info as well (traffic/wrecks/speed traps/hidden cops etc).

The safari browser is good, and I found some games that are not available for android. I also prefer the keyboard on my evo, I miss having punctuation easily accessible. I have not found a good keyboard app to address this. When texting, I often get messages that my message was not delivered. This happened occasionally with my evo too, but not as frequently. I'm not sure if this is a phone or network issue though. My primary issue with the phone now though is overheating while using gps. I'm going to buy a vent mount today and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise it will be returned to sprint.

Last edited:
Also, regarding videos, I sent one to my husband yesterday and he said that the quality was too degraded to be worth watching. My old phone had direct upload ability to facebook, but I'm not seeing that on iphone? Does anyone know how to do that?

Don't do facebook. I sent a video of my cats to my wife this morning via text. She said it looked great.

But this is unacceptable: No call blocker without jail breaking. It's the political season, I'm in Ohio where it seems like it never ends and I don't want to hear from these jerks.

The best I could find was an app that has a no sound ringtone. That way at least I won't hear them after I set them up but I have to make them a contact to do that! Ugh!!! Totally unacceptable and very disappointing.

I hear ya, here we are two years after I said goodbye to my blackberry and I would never have thought that I would still be waiting for some features that I had enjoyed on my blackberry for several years by that time.

But you get used to what is missing, you find workarounds and you still wait patiently, haha. I still think it was worthwhile and use my phone for all kinds of things, loving it's elegance and simplicity. One of the best things I think was buying into the apple ecosystem with an iPad, MacBook and apple tv. Crazy yes but it works.

To do a put a period in fast after the word you want to put a period after just double space and it does it automatically.

You can upload specific movie or picture files in drop box to a specific folder. In the upload section if the app there's a bar at the bottom for choosing which folder to upload to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to Apple also. I switched from a Sammy Fascinate that failed (screen spidered at less than two weeks and had never dropped it) then that replacement later had touch screen issues, and so did the next one. Now my Moto Xoom is another matter .. bought it on launch day 2/24/11 and I am very satisfied with it's performance and solid hardware. I doubt that I will ever buy Apple iPads when Androids can do more, and such a variety to choose from. I don't want my phone to be like a tablet. I want my tablet to be able to perform more like my laptop.

New to Apple also. I switched from a Sammy Fascinate that failed (screen spidered at less than two weeks and had never dropped it) then that replacement later had touch screen issues, and so did the next one. Now my Moto Xoom is another matter .. bought it on launch day 2/24/11 and I am very satisfied with it's performance and solid hardware. I doubt that I will ever buy Apple iPads when Androids can do more, and such a variety to choose from. I don't want my phone to be like a tablet. I want my tablet to be able to perform more like my laptop.

I bought the phone based on the way the iPad's OS performed over Android. I would never own an Android tablet. Other then the fact that it would not allow anything but Safari to be my default browser I have no complaints about iPad.

But now coming from Android to iPhone, I do see a lot of limitations. And I say that without rooting, you don't need to root to have a custom home screen on an Android phone. iPhone you have to jail break and I'm not doing that.

As a telephone it is wonderful, I can hear like I'm on a landline except when my wife uses her bluetooth and she says she can hear me much better as well.

I'm digging the phone, I just am surprised that with all the apps available there are somethings I can't do.

Hey everybody, the OP has questions about his iphone and not with discussions of android tablets.

Thanks...all off topic comments will be deleted to keep this conversation on track. Thanks for your understanding.

I just left android, I had a S3 & I hated it's cheap feel & pentile screen which everyone pretends they don't notice . Customization isn't everything, I really didn't like widgets because it makes the home screen realy messy. I love the build quality of the iphone & how polished the os is. I honestly don't miss android.

I just left android, I had a S3 & I hated it's cheap feel & pentile screen which everyone pretends they don't notice . Customization isn't everything, I really didn't like widgets because it makes the home screen realy messy. I love the build quality of the iphone & how polished the os is. I honestly don't miss android.

Sorry, I disagree about some of the customization. I used Beautiful Widgets and I had a breathing background that was like the sunset. I did find a way, if I can remember, to have a good looking home screen. I bought a weather app that you can sort of customize and if I leave that up when I turn on my screen that's nice to see.

I also miss the ease of switching from wifi the LTE, turning off bluetooth without going into settings. That was all part of Beautiful Widgets. Doesn't make it a deal breaker, I was just surprised that the app store didn't offer something similar.

hookbill said:
Sorry, I disagree about some of the customization. I used Beautiful Widgets and I had a breathing background that was like the sunset. I did find a way, if I can remember, to have a good looking home screen. I bought a weather app that you can sort of customize and if I leave that up when I turn on my screen that's nice to see.

I also miss the ease of switching from wifi the LTE, turning off bluetooth without going into settings. That was all part of Beautiful Widgets. Doesn't make it a deal breaker, I was just surprised that the app store didn't offer something similar.

You sound like someone that may be interested in jailbreak ;-)

Hopefully it won't be too long this time for it to become available.

You sound like someone that may be interested in jailbreak ;-)

Hopefully it won't be too long this time for it to become available.

You know when Blackberry was big I loaded custom OS. I have rooted Droids (and bricked one). There is one problem I have with messing with the OS.

Usually somebody else has something news in days, possibly hours. You get on this never ending roller coaster of uninstalling and reinstalling. At some point you will lose your data and not have aproper back up. Sometimes that happens every time you instlall a hybrid, root, or jailbreak. It's all the same thing.

So no, I'm not interested in Jailbreak. I'm interested in simplicity and with Android doing such a thing as customizing your home screen didn't involve anything more then maybe purchasing and installing a widget or two.

This has not changed my mine that I prefer the iPhone. It's simply something I thought I'd be able to do without doing any hacking.

I agree with having data disabling features in the pull down like I did on my Fascinate instead of having to go into settings all of the time. I stay wifi as much as possible to save on the plan for when really needed. Gotta admit the screen resolution is so much better when outside. I can't believe I am admitting to this .. lol .. My biggest gripe is that the bigger and thinner the Samsungs get, the prone t breakage they will become. Bigger doesn't always equate to better. Besides, I already have a tablet. I love my old Xoom.