What's new

Current Android User..moving to iphone..

jws86

Reaction score
Hey all! I currently have a galaxy s3 on verizon. Have had the phone for 3 weeks and I am already wanting to switch to the iphone world. I was on us cellular for 8mths hated their selection of phones, switched to verizon signed a contract with the s3 but realize android is just to buggy. To many force closes and crap reception with this device. Even with 4g at my house I can't get 4g and I use wifi at home anyway. At work I cannot get 4g unless I'm outside my building during lunch, so in other words 4g essentially does nothing for me besides waste data when I use it. I wanted to wait for the iphone 5 release to see if it had 4g but I don't think I really need it. My one downfall with the iphone is the screen size. Compared to the s3 its so small and I do like big screens. Should I try and find someone to trade for a 4s right now or wait till the iphone5 comes out with possibly a bigger screen and try and trade up? What else can you guys give me to persuade me to come to iphone?

ps. sorry for the rant 1st post and all lol...

As a former android user I can only give you the reasons I switched to the iphone.

Stability
More and cleaner apps
Accessories
Battery life ( although the s3 has decent battery)
Support and updates (android phones, especially samsung dont get very good support)

Screen size did take some getting used to. However after a week I found i preferred the smaller phone

jws86 said:
Hey all! I currently have a galaxy s3 on verizon. Have had the phone for 3 weeks and I am already wanting to switch to the iphone world. I was on us cellular for 8mths hated their selection of phones, switched to verizon signed a contract with the s3 but realize android is just to buggy. To many force closes and crap reception with this device. Even with 4g at my house I can't get 4g and I use wifi at home anyway. At work I cannot get 4g unless I'm outside my building during lunch, so in other words 4g essentially does nothing for me besides waste data when I use it. I wanted to wait for the iphone 5 release to see if it had 4g but I don't think I really need it. My one downfall with the iphone is the screen size. Compared to the s3 its so small and I do like big screens. Should I try and find someone to trade for a 4s right now or wait till the iphone5 comes out with possibly a bigger screen and try and trade up? What else can you guys give me to persuade me to come to iphone?

ps. sorry for the rant 1st post and all lol...

One word; fragmentation. I was an android developer and I grew tired of creating apps that worked perfectly on my devices but either wouldn't install or wouldn't work once installed on someone else's device. There is a company that tests their android apps on more than 100 android devices before releasing them.

One of the reasons iOS apps are more polished is because iOS developers don't have to deal with the fragmentation that plagues the android platform.

One word; fragmentation. I was an android developer and I grew tired of creating apps that worked perfectly on my devices but either wouldn't install or wouldn't work once installed on someone else's device. There is a company that tests their android apps on more than 100 android devices before releasing them.

One of the reasons iOS apps are more polished is because iOS developers don't have to deal with the fragmentation that plagues the android platform.

Is not fragmentation, its diversity! For developers is a pain and I understand but for users is freedom of choice :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That is one thing I am concerned with is battery life. I've had to root/flash rom/flash kernel to extend my battery on the s3. Remove all the crap bloatware. Just tired of it all. I would like to jailbreak and be done with it. I actually have set up a meet tomorrow with someone wanting to trade from a 32gb s4 for my s3. Going straight to verizon with them to have them swap everything for us. So hopefully if the phone is mint as he says it is ill be on here a lot more starting tomorrow.

jws86 said:
That is one thing I am concerned with is battery life. I've had to root/flash rom/flash kernel to extend my battery on the s3. Remove all the crap bloatware. Just tired of it all. I would like to jailbreak and be done with it. I actually have set up a meet tomorrow with someone wanting to trade from a 32gb s4 for my s3. Going straight to verizon with them to have them swap everything for us. So hopefully if the phone is mint as he says it is ill be on here a lot more starting tomorrow.

Excellent. I think youll be happy. It is a learning curve so be patient. I havent found one thing my androids could do that my iphone cant do, and in alot of cases better.

Yeah I think Ill be happy. I was gonna wait for the 5 like I said but at this point trading straight up for a bigger capacity phone that is worth more to begin with is better in my opinion. Not to mention the price tag we will see for the 5 I'll have to for sure add money to a trade which I am not really willing to do at the time being. Thanks for all the input!

You complained about cell coverage, as if it was a problem with the S 3. Unless your S 3 was faulty, reception will be the same with your 4S.

I personally couldn't use the S 3 because of It's size. Anything over 4.5" is too big in my book. The 4S is a wonderful device, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One S

Well I complained about the 4g coverage at home and at work. I got decent 3g coverage in those areas. I don't need 4g at work and at home as I said I'm always on wifi.

As far as Android goes, the dozens of devices that run Android operating systems actually works to its disadvantage, I think. It's so hard to have consistency on all of the devices. I had the Galaxy S and Samsung refused to upgrade our OS for the longest time, so you had to root the phone for any chance of its performance levels being competitive. In comparison iOS is so smooth and almost foolproof. Sure, apps close on me sometimes, but unless it's a bug (that is fixed super quickly) it doesn't happen the next time I open it.

Glad to see another Android convert on here. I'm sure your iPhone will not disappoint once you get it.

Mr.Mischief said:
You complained about cell coverage, as if it was a problem with the S 3. Unless your S 3 was faulty, reception will be the same with your 4S.

Not necessarily. Samsung android phones have always had major cell reception problems on cdma. From the moment to the s3. Most of them were ports from gsm phones that used the same modems. That was the MAJOR downfall with the S2 that caused me to go to iphone. Ive since gone to at&t but if you look anywhere on cdma samsung threads on xda youll find they suck at reception.

Not necessarily. Samsung android phones have always had major cell reception problems on cdma. From the moment to the s3. Most of them were ports from gsm phones that used the same modems. That was the MAJOR downfall with the S2 that caused me to go to iphone. Ive since gone to at&t but if you look anywhere on cdma samsung threads on xda youll find they suck at reception.

The only problem I've heard of with the Galaxy series is poor GPS. It would take for ever to connect with the satellites, if ever. But, from the Galaxy S II and newer, GPS has been fixed.

I've had 6 Galaxy S Vibrants, 3 Galaxy S II's, and 5 Galaxy Nexus's, and I've never had connection issues with any of them.

I haven't had the S 3, but I haven't heard of any reports of signal problems.

Sent from my HTC One S

Last edited:
Like I said, on cdma. Your on gsm. Samsung phones are ported from gsm. They generally release in Europe first. When they come to cdma carriers they use the same modem.bin and it doesnt work properly until they create a new modem. AT&T and TMoble versions will always work fine because its the modem they were intended to use. The s2 on sprint was plagued with data lockups and signal locks until december when they finally released a new modem file.

The OP is on verizon (cdma) so its quite possible he'll get far better signal on iphone since it runs natively on cdma.

Well I have made the trade and now have a mint 32gig 4s in my hands. As for reception quality I can tell already this is better in the 3g aspect for reception anyway. Sitting inside my house I have full signal consistently. On the s3 I would never get 4g, and on 3g I would have 2-3 bars max. I use wifi at home anyway so not to big of a deal but I'm loving it so far.

Well I have made the trade and now have a mint 32gig 4s in my hands. As for reception quality I can tell already this is better in the 3g aspect for reception anyway. Sitting inside my house I have full signal consistently. On the s3 I would never get 4g, and on 3g I would have 2-3 bars max. I use wifi at home anyway so not to big of a deal but I'm loving it so far.

Excellent! Check out the FAQ's on jailbreaking and themes. Definitely gonna want to dive in to that aspect.