What's new

Otterbox Defender w/ VZW Iphone - Not Quite

From the Otterbox site .... it seems like it should be a perfect fit!!!!

I ordered one from the site ...

20110210-ver-fit.jpg

*Please post again if you swap the 1 u got from BB for another and have any better luck.*
TY VM!!!

The picture is correct - but what they don't say is that they just take a Dremel to it! BS if you ask me - not for a $50 case!

Umm yeah. Just came from Best Buy and exchanged my AT&T version for the 'Verizon' version. It's pretty much the same case - you can even see where they took a Dremel and sawed off the clip - and they did a shittier job then I did. Oh yeah, and the clip is now CRACKED so the case snaps together loosely. This one will be going back as well.

Sure, it fits, but the switch is still completely off to the side just barely clearing the clip, it's a pain to operate.

Tsk, Tsk, Otterbox - taking the sloppy, easy way out!

I just noticed the same thing at Best Buy... I saw two different iPhone 4 models, AT&T style, and a newer box that said "Fits all models." The salesman said the shipment of the Verizon models just came in last night, so I asked to try it on. Same as in the pics, the mute switch was partially obstructed by the plastic case.

I might end up going with the Sedio Innocase Rugged model. The pics from the AT&T model look comparable to the OB. The VZW model isn't out yet, but the site says coming soon. Same price as the OB Defender.

Here's a pic of the AT&T model:
BD3-HKR4IPH4-5.jpg

I like the design of the belt clip on the Sedio model better than the OtterBox too.

Oooo that Seido one looks sexy!

Just to let a you know I spoke with the guys at Otter box and they said Best Buy would have the VIP4 case today (10th) available in black. So I went and got one and all THEY did was CLIP the little piece just below the mute button. They did not remove it but basically cut it in half horizontally. So then for the wife I went and got a Pink case from somewhere else and done the same modification they did and everything else is unchanged. Just a heads up if you don't want to wait.
progress.gif

Just to let a you know I spoke with the guys at Otter box and they said Best Buy would have the VIP4 case today (10th) available in black. So I went and got one and all THEY did was CLIP the little piece just below the mute button. They did not remove it but basically cut it in half horizontally. So then for the wife I went and got a Pink case from somewhere else and done the same modification they did and everything else is unchanged. Just a heads up if you don't want to wait.

Thanks for the info ... based on your call with Otter ....

Did it seem like this VIP4 model avail @ BB was a different version than the one they are shipping now (via the website) ?????

Also ... are you satisfied with the modification that you made??? Meaning, are you comfortable that it's still a worthwhile investment???

@ wildrage - what are you going with??? are you simply taking it back to exchange for another???? getting a refund and purchasing a completely different model???

Last edited:

Did it seem like this VIP4 model avail @ BB was a different version than the one they are shipping now (via the website) ?????

Also ... are you satisfied with the modification that you made??? Meaning, are you comfortable that it's still a worthwhile investment???

@ wildrage - what are you going with??? are you simply taking it back to exchange for another???? getting a refund and purchasing a completely different model???

Appretiate all the posts for this item!!

The one that I have from bestbuy is the VIP4 model, with a sticker on the front that says "Compatible with AT&T and Verizon"...the fact that they used a sticker, instead of a new box put up a red flag right there. I still really like the case, but it bothers me that I paid the same $50 as an AT&T customer and got a less customized case.

I ordered the Rugged case on the Verizon website and will check it out when I get home tonight...maybe that will be better. I'm going to continue to use this case until when/if something better comes along. I have the Best Buy 30 day warranty, and Otterbox also is really great with returns, even after the first 30 days.

I'm guessing that Otterbox will change the mold at the point of manufacturing as soon as they run out of all of the old AT&T cases.

Agreed!

(.....and there's no telling how long it will be before it gets they run out!)

I called and spoke with a Otter rep & he told me that the ones online and in stores today are identical & both have "UNI" on the case.

I am not happy about this! This is very shaddy on there part! They make you think they are making a "new case" but truth be told they are "Modifying" there old case! No wonder best buy has them all ready! Best buy prolly had there employees cut and modify the case! This sucks I was ready to go buy one! I am not going to put out 50 dollars for a "Used case"! This is bad business OTTERBOX! I hope you guys read this! I am sure "Otterbox made plenty of money since they came out! This is just absolutely Poor!

EDIT: When I went to bestbuy thats when I seen the unified case and the sales rep said this is for the ATT and Verizon Iphone. So I test fitted the case on my phone and that is when it did not line up with the top button. So later tonight I decided to take a ride to the Verizon store, They had the Otter boxes also, But in a different box! So immediately I asked to try it out! And what do you know, fit like a glove! No problem with that little top button etc.! So moral of the story is there are apparently 3 versions of the Otter box out there! An ATT, Uni,and Verizon. Make sure you get the one in the Verizon box! Here is a pic of the box

7559c13c.jpg

Last edited:

I am happy with my mods. I feel the job I done on my wifes was better than what I received but I took my time trying to make it perfect for her. I personally like the otter box and the small silly notion that I can see the little apple on the back even with the case on, oh and she had to have pink. That may not be enough for some. On another note, if you do the customizing yourself and it does not fit as tight then returning may be difficult, but if you buy one from best buy and it is not tight then you could easily swap out for another. I actually bought her pink one from an att store and new I was taking a chance but that made it more exciting.

I am happy with my mods. I feel the job I done on my wifes was better than what I received but I took my time trying to make it perfect for her. I personally like the otter box and the small silly notion that I can see the little apple on the back even with the case on, oh and she had to have pink. That may not be enough for some. On another note, if you do the customizing yourself and it does not fit as tight then returning may be difficult, but if you buy one from best buy and it is not tight then you could easily swap out for another. I actually bought her pink one from an att store and new I was taking a chance but that made it more exciting.

I agree. I was a lot more happy with the job that I had done with the original case. I also love the stupid little apple window. I know it's useless, but it gives it some character.

If you do decide to do your own mod, check your local walmart. The one near me has them for $39

I received a case today from www.seidio.com and very happy with it, comes with a Holster/belt clip. it's called: Innovatve II Surface, you can buy the case only or purchase the combo, case & holster. Very surdy and not too bulky.

I just went to the VZW store today to pick up a screen protector, and I noticed an Otterbox iPhone 4 case with verizon logos all over the box...

It seems as though VZW stores are starting to get the updated OtterBox cases. It looks exactly as the picture above. They actually re-designed the case so that the whole mute button is shown. No dremmel hack job either...

I'll upload some pics when I get home from work.

Edit: I managed to upload some pics. As shown, The mute switch isn't covered by the new case design at all.

Attachments

• $IMAG0003.jpg
    $IMAG0003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 486
  • $IMAG0010.jpg
    $IMAG0010.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 470
  • $IMAG0002.jpg
    $IMAG0002.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
I just went to the VZW store today to pick up a screen protector, and I noticed an Otterbox iPhone 4 case with verizon logos all over the box...

It seems as though VZW stores are starting to get the updated OtterBox cases. It looks exactly as the picture above. They actually re-designed the case so that the whole mute button is shown. No dremmel hack job either...

I'll upload some pics when I get home from work.

Edit: I managed to upload some pics. As shown, The mute switch isn't covered by the new case design at all.

Look at the top of the clip thats closest to the bottom of the mute switch. Does it look like it was altered or snipped?

...the switch still looks like its not aligned in the center.

It doesn't look modified or hacked like the other ones at all. I'm guessing it's not centered to make it compatible with the at&t iPhone as well, they're just marketing it toward Verizon.

It is much different than the factory modified OB case that I tried on in best buy last week.

I bought it from Otterbox the day they were available -

The Mute switch is NOT centered - It's way too far down to even be close, but it still works...

I like it, It's defiantly durable!