What's new

Review Otterbox Defender for Iphone4!!!

robredd72

Reaction score
I purchased my new iphone 4 a couple weeks ago at Best Buy. Bare bones no case! So I knew I needed a case that same day. Nothing is scarier than holding a new Iphone 4 without protection lol! Since my cash was depleted I went to the local mall and bough a cheap thin black case that covered the back and sides but not the screen. I decided to leave the initial plastic protective coating on the screen. It actually works quite well if you leave it on and dont lift the flap. A couple days later I found a 3 pack of Invisishield for $8 at my local Walmart. So I removed the initial screen protection, installed the invisishield, and put it back in my cheapie case! The invisishield is great although I couldnt quite get all the bubbles out. After I got some more cash I decided to invest in a final case for my new toy. Looking at local stores Otterbox seemed to have the look and protection level I was after. But the retail stores tend to carry them in cooky looking colors! Pink stripes over a yellow case isnt going to get me any additional cool points! So I went online and found the Otterbox Defender in solid black! I purchased it new for $29.99 (Amazon) with free shipping. When it arrived a few days later I was impressed. Being the top of the line in protection (Otterbox makes to other levels of protection), it is very solid. Although a little bulkier, the case is very streamlined, molded curves, and complimenting to the Iphone 4. Install was easy. First an inner case holds the ipod, with a nice fingerprint resistant built in screen. The back is felt lined to avoid scratching. Then a silicone rubber jacket slips snugly around the inner case doubling its protection. I like that it closes off areas of phone that can collect dirt like the place where the power charger goes, volume controls, silent button, headphone jack, and sleep button. However these controls are easily accessable by either flipping up hidden flaps, or simply being able to press rubber buttons through the case like sleep, volume up and down, and the center menu button. The case has perfect openings for front and rear cameras, speakers and mic. The Ipone looks very fortified and solid . It comes with an additional snap case and belt clip that I dont use. It is however great to use as a stand to sit up your Iphone horizontally and view movies! All in all I highly reccomend this case to anyone who wants a fortress wrapped around their new investment. These cases are truelly built to withstand more than heavey drops, bumps, and bruises!!!

Incidentally I did take advantage of the free case Apple is offering for Iphones purchased recently. Although I think they should just offer a freebie at the time of purchase rather than making you register and have it mailed. It came and it was so so as expected. Anything free is good but you have to pay for a case to really protect your investment. It'll be good as an emergency back up.

I love my otter box defender for my iphone. It protects it great. 5/5 in my book.

I too opted for the Defender & compared to other cases & screen protectors I have tried, although expensive, it is in my view, it is by far the best.

I like the defender except I wish it had a gasket to protect the rear camera and flash like the seidio rugged.

Marc

I'm just really impressed with the screen protector.... No bubbles or discoloration!

I thought 30 bucks was a little high until I thought about my uninsured iphones value! Plus cheaper cases were 15 and up! Much less protection.