What's new

Otterbox Defender w/ VZW Iphone - Not Quite

wildrage

Reaction score
I've seen videos and testimonials about the Otterbox Defender case built for the ATT iphone, and how it is supposed to work for the Verizon iphone.

I just bought one from Best Buy, and while it 95% fits, the mute button is pinned down by the clip on the upper left hand side of the case. I don't really care - I never use the mute button - but I'm actually affraid that the constant pressure on the button may cause scratching or even malfunction on the button. At a very minimum, the button is completely inoperable when used in conjunction with the case.

Just thought I'd give everyone a head's up.

Good to know. I was planning on getting one, but I'll wait until OB comes out with a VZW specific case.

Are you going to return it?

Yeah, i think so. I'm going to post a picture of it in a second. I don't get it, becasue the video going around on YouTube clearly shows it working. My only thought would be that it had to have been modified.

The volume keys work perfectly, but the case clips need to be like 1.5mm down.

iWkc8Nq4tGQnBHuKDWJoVdcqJh0TJKpWPYJq6H2XtMc

Your image didnt load, but when I right-click on the icon and "open image in new window" i see your photo. Wow, it IS off by more than I thought. I'm sure I saw the youtube vid you mention, and it appeared far better than that.
Thanks for the info!

I was actually able to trim a half of a centemeter or so off of the clip, and now it fits fine. I just used a little Exacto knife, beleive it or not.

I probably won't end up returning it, even though the opening isn't ideal, the mute button now works (and I almost never use it).

I've seen videos and testimonials about the Otterbox Defender case built for the ATT iphone, and how it is supposed to work for the Verizon iphone.

But Otterbox said themselves it wont fit... And that they have a new version for it coming out... So why did you not listen to them lol

But Otterbox said themselves it wont fit... And that they have a new version for it coming out... So why did you not listen to them lol

Because some dude posted a video that showed it fitting perfectly. Anyway, I got it to fit with very little modification. If Otterbox is able to have a VZW out by tomorrow, it will take another week for them to deliver, and probably several weeks before you see them in stores. I'm too impatient lol

Because some dude posted a video that showed it fitting perfectly. Anyway, I got it to fit with very little modification. If Otterbox is able to have a VZW out by tomorrow, it will take another week for them to deliver, and probably several weeks before you see them in stores. I'm too impatient lol

they are supposed to be in stores tomorrow. I believe I read somewhere that someone even grabbed one tonight at best buy when they were out on the floor stocking them.

Umm yeah. Just came from Best Buy and exchanged my AT&T version for the 'Verizon' version. It's pretty much the same case - you can even see where they took a Dremel and sawed off the clip - and they did a shittier job then I did. Oh yeah, and the clip is now CRACKED so the case snaps together loosely. This one will be going back as well.

Sure, it fits, but the switch is still completely off to the side just barely clearing the clip, it's a pain to operate.

Tsk, Tsk, Otterbox - taking the sloppy, easy way out!

Pics to come...

71r2v7.jpg

See the white mark? That's where they sawed it off.

28vd7wg.jpg

Switch Alignment still sucks (this is on the VERIZON version!)

Last edited:
Umm yeah. Just came from Best Buy and exchanged my AT&T version for the 'Verizon' version. It's pretty much the same case - you can even see where they took a Dremel and sawed off the clip - and they did a shittier job then I did. Oh yeah, and the clip is now CRACKED so the case snaps together loosely. This one will be going back as well.

Sure, it fits, but the switch is still completely off to the side just barely clearing the clip, it's a pain to operate.

Tsk, Tsk, Otterbox - taking the sloppy, easy way out!

I just noticed the same thing at Best Buy... I saw two different iPhone 4 models, AT&T style, and a newer box that said "Fits all models." The salesman said the shipment of the Verizon models just came in last night, so I asked to try it on. Same as in the pics, the mute switch was partially obstructed by the plastic case.

I might end up going with the Sedio Innocase Rugged model. The pics from the AT&T model look comparable to the OB. The VZW model isn't out yet, but the site says coming soon. Same price as the OB Defender.

Here's a pic of the AT&T model:
BD3-HKR4IPH4-5.jpg

I like the design of the belt clip on the Sedio model better than the OtterBox too.

Thanks for the heads up on the Otterbox guys! I've been pondering going to the local Best Buy or perhaps just ordering thru the Otterbox site.

Based on your information & the images from the Otterbox site, they seem to be 2 different "universal" cases ....

From the Otterbox site .... it seems like it should be a perfect fit!!!!

I ordered one from the site ...

20110210-ver-fit.jpg

*Please post again if you swap the 1 u got from BB for another and have any better luck.*
TY VM!!!

I have an order saved on the site, but I think I might run by best buy before I place it. I am a little annoyed that so far all I have read is they only have the black case. why not have some variety in stores?