What's new

Made the mistake of updating to 5.1, want to downgrade to 5.0 for untethered JB.

lthodde116

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I previously had my iphone 4 untethered jailbroken but I stupidly updated it to 5.1 and now I can only tether jailbreak it and it's getting really annoying. I know there's a way to downgrade your ios but I can't seem to figure out how to get 5.0 back. I tried one method I saw using TinyUmbrella but it didn't work. I'm using a mac btw. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately... there isn't a way to downgrade to any iOS 5.0+ version. It's just not possible...

Allow me to correct myself.... you can downgrade. However, it's only possible if you've used a stitching tool to stitch the SHSHs to the specific iOS version, creating a custom firmware, while it's being signed by Apple. If it's a version that's no longer being signed and SHSHs haven't been stiched there's no way.

lthodde116 said:
I've seen a lot of tutorials for it by using iFaith for Windows though.

There has to be a way to down grade or wait for the developers to come up with something new for the 5.1 but there's always a way!

LoveRhyme said:
There has to be a way to down grade or wait for the developers to come up with something new for the 5.1 but there's always a way!

Hum, is jail breaking worth the effort, it becomes a challenge for the developers; are we always going to have this problem every time Apple upgrades their firmware?

LoveRhyme said:
Hum, is jail breaking worth the effort, it becomes a challenge for the developers; are we always going to have this problem every time Apple upgrades their firmware?

Oh wow, I'm stuck with the current boring features on this iPhone 4S until this this new crack becomes available for 5.1; I've learned my lesson NOT to upgrade unless it's absolutely necessary!

It's likely to get more difficult as well, not less...

Yes, I did it too, I wasn't paying attention; what a bummer; nonetheless, it gets too complicated from here, can anyone make it simple; too many channels, I just need one person to direct me and get me back on the right path; are you out there?

Thomasjtsi said:
Allow me to correct myself.... you can downgrade. However, it's only possible if you've used a stitching tool to stitch the SHSHs to the specific iOS version, creating a custom firmware, while it's being signed by Apple. If it's a version that's no longer being signed and SHSHs haven't been stiched there's no way.

The stitching process works whether Apple is signing the firmware or not. That's the whole point.

One you have SHSH blobs your good. It does not matter if Apple signing them. Again....that is the whole point.

If the user has blobs for 5.0.1, all he has to do is stitch the blobs to an ipsw with redsn0w and he will be able to restore to that 5.0.1 ipsw.

You got the whole SHSH blobs thing all wrong.

Last edited:
LoveRhyme said:
Yes, I did it too, I wasn't paying attention; what a bummer; nonetheless, it gets too complicated from here, can anyone make it simple; too many channels, I just need one person to direct me and get me back on the right path; are you out there?

You simply have to Open Tiny Umbrella, plug in your phone and click "Save SHSH". Whatever iOS versions show up in the list are the iOS version you will be able to downgrade to. Simple.

zig9449 said:
The stitching process works whether Apple is signing the firmware or not. That's the whole point.

Correct, any A4 device can be downgraded with SHSH blobs. If your device is, or has been, jailbroken in the past, there's also a chance your SHSH blobs have been saved by Cydia automatically and might be recoverable via TinyUmbrella or iFaith.

cackspurt said:
Correct, any A4 device can be downgraded with SHSH blobs. If your device is, or has been, jailbroken in the past, there's also a chance your SHSH blobs have been saved by Cydia automatically and might be recoverable via TinyUmbrella or iFaith.

Exactly.

And redsn0w now does the same thing that iFaith does with building self signed IPSW's.

Just iFaith can extract SHSH blobs even when te iOS the device is currently running is not being signed. Just for Windows only.

zig9449 said:
Exactly.

And redsn0w now does the same thing that iFaith does with building self signed IPSW's.

Just iFaith can extract SHSH blobs even when te iOS the device is currently running is not being signed. Just for Windows only.

I didn't know iFaith did all that. I'll have to try it out next time instead of using TinyUmbrella and having to start the TSS server and edit the file to change the server to Saurik's.