What's new

Good news on ios 5 untethered jailbreak

The tethered jailbreak, semi-tethered jailbreak and now the untethered jailbreak were all piggy-backing on top of a bootrom exploit that is not available on the 4S and the iPad2. It doesn't mean there won't be a A5 jailbreak, its just because all of those jailbreaks were based off an exploit that has been around since 4.2.1.

The untethered that was released just now was a userland exploit, not the bootrom one.

Also the people that are doubting the a5 exploit, the reason it's taking longer is because of the way the new processor handles things.

This isn't the greatest example, but you can probably understand what I mean:

Compare a 32bit to a 64bit pc. In order to run 64bit programs on a 64bit pc, it needs to be compiled FOR a 64bit pc.

The same applies here in a similar way. pod2g needs to find a way to deliver the payload and that's why it's taking a while.

I do have one question though to someone that can answer it. I'm on 5.0 atm and haven't upgraded to 5.0.1. According to pod2g, the exploit will most likely be for 5.0.1 but if I were to stay on 5.0 just in case, can apple stop me from upgrading to 5.0.1 at a later time? For example, if the 5.1 comes out before pod2g releases the jailbreak, can apple block me from updating to 5.0.1?

lolwaitwut said:
I do have one question though to someone that can answer it. I'm on 5.0 atm and haven't upgraded to 5.0.1. According to pod2g, the exploit will most likely be for 5.0.1 but if I were to stay on 5.0 just in case, can apple stop me from upgrading to 5.0.1 at a later time? For example, if the 5.1 comes out before pod2g releases the jailbreak, can apple block me from updating to 5.0.1?
Yes, Apple will close the signing window very quickly (usually within 24-48 hours) on the previous firmware version when they go live w/ an update.

"I made a step today for the A5. With some luck we could expect a release in a week."

@pod2g

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Good news on jailbreak for iPhone 4s and iPad 2nd gen

$image-2089078207.jpg

Last edited:
lysin said:
"I made a step today for the A5. With some luck we could expect a release in a week."

@pod2g

Saw this a few minutes ago - I am pretty excited :)

Take care,
Rob

Even better news!!!!! Apparently pod2g made more progress after his twitter announcement this morning. He is now saying the jailbreak will be released THIS WEEK!!!

Screen-Shot-2012-01-03-at-4.24.14-PM.png

YAY!!!!

Jmills87 said:
Even better news!!!!! Apparently pod2g made more progress after his twitter announcement this morning. He is now saying the jailbreak will be released THIS WEEK!!!

YAY!!!!

Cydia will be destroyed from hits this week

Jmills87 said:
Ya, I just hope he pulls through! Setting release dates is a dangerous game in the jailbreak community lol!

Hell it's dangerous in general. Like at work. You never predict when your gonna leave. Always bad luck.

Anyone have any info on the unlock? I'm guessing after it's jailbroken people will start working on unlocking it. I also know that musclenerd has twitted a few times on being very close to unlocking it as well.

But is unlocking as hard as jailbreaking it? I don't know a lot about ios, old android user, but wouldn't unlocking be easier since you have full control of the system? Or does it still require an exploit?

Ya, I just hope he pulls through! Setting release dates is a dangerous game in the jailbreak community lol!
Yes!. Well newdestinyx is banned now I just noticed. It would have been heaven to see him eat his words if the jailbreak actually comes out this week. I CAN'T WAIT to get my winterboard back. If I saved all thru that cydia app called pd backup thru drop box. Should I be able to get all my settings and apps back via it after the jailbreak?