What's new

How to untether 4S

cackspurt

Reaction score
My buddies friend(who has an ios developer kit) said he used a stock 5.0.1 Ipsw from an iPhone 4, pointed the server to saurik's, and loaded it to a 4S with redsn0w. Basically tricking iTunes into thinking the 4S was a 4, and getting an untether jailbreak courtesy of @pod2g. I didn't personally see his 4S jail broken. Is this method possible?

not really.. if it was that easy then the devs would of mentioned this a long time ago

It's currently not possible to untether the 4S as it has the A5 chip. Same story for the iPad 2.

The A5 untether is being worked on at the moment so hopefully isn't too far away now...

cackspurt said:
My buddies friend(who has an ios developer kit) said he used a stock 5.0.1 Ipsw from an iPhone 4, pointed the server to saurik's, and loaded it to a 4S with redsn0w. Basically tricking iTunes into thinking the 4S was a 4, and getting an untether jailbreak courtesy of @pod2g. I didn't personally see his 4S jail broken. Is this method possible?

Doubt it

LOL.... no, this is not even possible in theory. First of all iTunes has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Secondly, even if you could trick Redsn0w into thinking your 4S was a 4, the phone still would not be susceptible to the limera1n exploit and the jailbreak would not work.

That's exactly how I felt. The untether jailbreaks have been using geohot's limera1n exploit in the A4 bootrom to insert the untether and the A5 doesn't have that available. Having said that, I still don't think you could even load an iPhone 4 Ipsw on a 4S even if you did trick iTunes.

That's exactly how I felt. The untether jailbreaks have been using geohot's limera1n exploit in the A4 bootrom to insert the untether and the A5 doesn't have that available. Having said that, I still don't think you could even load an iPhone 4 Ipsw on a 4S even if you did trick iTunes.

You would get the "device not eligible for requested build" error...

He said he's part of the apple development program and has a custom Ipsw and bootrom, can you even have a custom bootrom? Or is this guy smokin rocks?

He is lying to you. It doesn't matter if you are a developer or not. You cannot use a bootrom exploit on a device where that exploit doesn't exist, period.

And no, you cannot have a custom bootrom. The bootrom is built into the hardware, it is read-only.

As stated earlier, the limera1n vulnerability used to insert all jailbreaks on A4 devices does not exist on A5 devices. No bootrom exploit has been found in A5 as of yet. It is therefore not yet possible to load custom firmware into A5 devices, as the various components of the boot loader sequence will recognize the incorrect signature and deny the installation of said firmware. While the vulnerability used in pod2g's untethered jailbreak for A4 devices exists in A5 devices, it cannot yet be exploited without a bootrom level vulnerability first.