What's new

Pod2g now has all 5.1 exploits needed and is working on bypassing ASLR

Jmills87

Reaction score
Today, pod2g made an update on the progress him and the chronic-dev team have made on the 5.1 jailbreak. Last time we heard from him, he said that he didn't have all the exploits needed for the jailbreak and even if he did that it would still be weeks before it was finished. Well today, he announced that he now has all the exploits needed and is currently working on bypassing the ASLR security(introduced by Apple silently in iOS 4.3).

Still probably weeks away but at least we got a status update.

On another note, it doesn't seem like we will be getting anything from i0n1c in the future(not for free anyway). He had a little argument with pod2g today on Twitter basically stating that he will never release anything for free again because he can make much more money by providing the exploits to security companies.

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 4.10.09 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 4.10.09 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 501
I saw this on pod2g's twitter feed a few minutes ago. Good news indeed :)

it is very good news, I saw this earlier also and even though it will be weeks still its good to know the exploit is there and for the ipad 3.. I never expected anything more from ionic thats why I stopped following him and hes right if he can make a tone of cash from companies why not? instead of releasing a tool for free and get a pretty decent amount from "donations." Shame though.

Ok so let me get this straight we will be getting a free jb from pod probably but we should not expect anything soon from i0n1c and if something does come from him it won't be free?

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

Ok so let me get this straight we will be getting a free jb from pod probably but we should not expect anything soon from i0n1c and if something does come from him it won't be free?

pod2g, the chronic dev team and the iPhone dev team will never charge money for their tools. At this point it doesnt look like we will ever see anything released to the public from i0n1c again. His career is working for a computer security agency, so he has connections that can earn him a lot of money if he sells the exploits to companies instead of releasing them to the public for free. Like Unleashed, I can't blame him. This is his job after all so we can't really hold it against him. Besides, the jailbreak community is, for the most part, a bunch of immature demanding kids that have no respect for the amount of work that goes into jailbreaking. I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were him.

pod2g, the chronic dev team and the iPhone dev team will never charge money for their tools. At this point it doesnt look like we will ever see anything released to the public from i0n1c again. His career is working for a computer security agency, so he has connections that can earn him a lot of money if he sells the exploits to companies instead of releasing them to the public for free. Like Unleashed, I can't blame him. This is his job after all so we can't really hold it against him. Besides, the jailbreak community is, for the most part, a bunch of immature demanding kids that have no respect for the amount of work that goes into jailbreaking. I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were him.

I would probably do the same not going to lie, there is a lot of money in selling those exploits to companies. I'm also not going to lie right now I'm being selfish cause I updated to 5.1 with out thinking twice about JB now I want it so badly.

Jmills87 said:
Today, pod2g made an update on the progress him and the chronic-dev team have made on the 5.1 jailbreak. Last time we heard from him, he said that he didn't have all the exploits needed for the jailbreak and even if he did that it would still be weeks before it was finished. Well today, he announced that he now has all the exploits needed and is currently working on bypassing the ASLR security(introduced by Apple silently in iOS 4.3).

Still probably weeks away but at least we got a status update.

On another note, it doesn't seem like we will be getting anything from i0n1c in the future(not for free anyway). He had a little argument with pod2g today on Twitter basically stating that he will never release anything for free again because he can make much more money by providing the exploits to security companies.

Actually the argument about free exploits was about other people making money off of they're work. Not just because he knows he can make a bunch of money off it. I think they always knew that.

Well today, he announced that he now has all the exploits needed and is currently working on bypassing the ASLR security(introduced by Apple silently in iOS 4.3)

translation?????

zig9449 said:
Transition.......
Not done yet.

Dude, you should warn us before you post replies like that. I almost fell out of my chair.

translation?????

ASLR is Address Space Layout Randomization. And it is a very critical obstacle that has to be overcome. The simplest way to explain it requires us to go back to the very beginning days of hacking, from whence I came.

*Starting here, I have direct first hand experience in the hacking of OSes and Software.*

When programs used to load into memory, they were always loaded into a fixed memory space. That meant we always knew where to start looking at the machine code (commonly refereed to as Assembly Language) to see what the programmers had done. They sometimes would try to get tricky and "hide" the code by using one piece of code to load another piece. Sometimes even trying to hide it in video memory thinking "they will never look there". But simply put, because the very first piece of code always had to load at a fixed address, it meant we simply had to keep reading the code till we found out where they hid the next section.

Skip forward to the Windows days of the 90s. The problem still existed. While yes we could load multiple programs into memory, they code was still started at X address and always stayed in a contained space that was easily identifiable. Which means we still could see the code, read it and finally figure out "how things worked". This is also, in my opinion, when the age of "buffer overruns" exploits took off. I'll explain more in the next era.

*This is where I left "the scene" and my direct first hand knowledge ends. From here on I am writing about my understanding of the scene as it has evolved from watching the next generation do more than I had ever dreamed.*

Then came along Windows 2000. And things started to change in "end users (us everyday folks)" Operating Systems. They figured out how to start protecting memory (or so they had thought). They would introduce things called Rings. And that would help protect the core OS from the programs that were running. But it wasn't fool proof. Not by a long shot. Buffer overruns, the simple trick of injecting more data into an offset address from the programs known starting point and allowing code to be run that the original programmer did not intend. While buffer overruns have been around since the beginning days of computers it was in 2001, in my opinion, where it became the de facto way to take over and exploit all code and OSes going forward. The old days of reading all the machine code to figure things out had simply become passe.

ASLR took birth that same year. But how do you keep an OS stable when the OS, the drivers and the users code were constantly being loaded into random locations? By 2005 they had it worked out enough that the 2.6 Linux Kernel was introduced with it. OSX Leopard, Windows Vista, iOS 4.3 and Android 4.0 would be the next major releases that introduced the "Random Layout" of the "Address Space".

So how does ASLR help protect from buffer overruns? The hacker can no longer predict where to inject his code to be successfully run. Because the ASLR keeps moving things around. Does this mean ASLR stops all buffer overruns? No. Does it make it harder? Oh yes. Today the hackers are looking for ways to simply by-pass ASLR. But it takes time and lots of hot pockets (watch "The Core" to get the reference) to find those types of exploits. And each new version of an OS usually means having to start over in identifying the holes.

*Anyone with more direct knowledge, please feel free to chime in and correct my explanation. Watching it from the outside doesn't always provide the best insight.*

ASLR is Address Space Layout Randomization. And it is a very critical obstacle that has to be overcome. The simplest way to explain it requires us to go back to the very beginning days of hacking, from whence I came.

*Starting here, I have direct first hand experience in the hacking of OSes and Software.*

When programs used to load into memory, they were always loaded into a fixed memory space. That meant we always knew where to start looking at the machine code (commonly refereed to as Assembly Language) to see what the programmers had done. They sometimes would try to get tricky and "hide" the code by using one piece of code to load another piece. Sometimes even trying to hide it in video memory thinking "they will never look there". But simply put, because the very first piece of code always had to load at a fixed address, it meant we simply had to keep reading the code till we found out where they hid the next section.

Skip forward to the Windows days of the 90s. The problem still existed. While yes we could load multiple programs into memory, they code was still started at X address and always stayed in a contained space that was easily identifiable. Which means we still could see the code, read it and finally figure out "how things worked". This is also, in my opinion, when the age of "buffer overruns" exploits took off. I'll explain more in the next era.

*This is where I left "the scene" and my direct first hand knowledge ends. From here on I am writing about my understanding of the scene as it has evolved from watching the next generation do more than I had ever dreamed.*

Then came along Windows 2000. And things started to change in "end users (us everyday folks)" Operating Systems. They figured out how to start protecting memory (or so they had thought). They would introduce things called Rings. And that would help protect the core OS from the programs that were running. But it wasn't fool proof. Not by a long shot. Buffer overruns, the simple trick of injecting more data into an offset address from the programs known starting point and allowing code to be run that the original programmer did not intend. While buffer overruns have been around since the beginning days of computers it was in 2001, in my opinion, where it became the de facto way to take over and exploit all code and OSes going forward. The old days of reading all the machine code to figure things out had simply become passe.

ASLR took birth that same year. But how do you keep an OS stable when the OS, the drivers and the users code were constantly being loaded into random locations? By 2005 they had it worked out enough that the 2.6 Linux Kernel was introduced with it. OSX Leopard, Windows Vista, iOS 4.3 and Android 4.0 would be the next major releases that introduced the "Random Layout" of the "Address Space".

So how does ASLR help protect from buffer overruns? The hacker can no longer predict where to inject his code to be successfully run. Because the ASLR keeps moving things around. Does this mean ASLR stops all buffer overruns? No. Does it make it harder? Oh yes. Today the hackers are looking for ways to simply by-pass ASLR. But it takes time and lots of hot pockets (watch "The Core" to get the reference) to find those types of exploits. And each new version of an OS usually means having to start over in identifying the holes.

*Anyone with more direct knowledge, please feel free to chime in and correct my explanation. Watching it from the outside doesn't always provide the best insight.*
i was very impressed with what you have described. i may be new here, but i learded iOS is very excited with the explanation you give. thank you

Last edited: