What's new

Iphone 4s jailbreak question - more like confusion actually

Supahrob

Reaction score
Heya everyone! First off, thanks for all the info. In the last week or so, I have learned a great deal more about jailbreaking. But I have a question about the 4s jailbreak - related to pod2g's recent tweets & a recent IOSVlog video. In the video, Phil said that pod2g had an exploit for the 4s but it Apple patched it. My confusion is this: us 4s owners who want to jailbreak haven't upgraded the OS. We are still on 5.0 - so (as I understand it) the patch Apple made is irrelevant to us. It seems to me that pod2g should go ahead and release the jailbreak because we are sill running the OS he found the exploit in.

Now, obviously, I am missing something. So I am just hoping someone will be able to explain things to me.

Take care,
Rob

The exploit used in pod2g's jailbreak works on 5.0 and 5.0.1 so you can go ahead and update to 5.0.1 if you want. All we are waiting on is for pod2g to port the jailbreak to the iPad2 and the iPhone4S and then he will release it sometime after that(possibly after 5.1 is released publicly).

No disrespect to Jmills intended, but can I get some confirmation on this? I own a 4s, and I very very much want to jailbreak. Is it correct that pod2g's jailbreak will work on 5.0.1 - can I indeed go ahead and upgrade from 5.0?

Take care,
Rob

You can upgrade to 5.0.1 but there is no jailbreak at all yet for the a5 chip devices ( which is what all iphone 4s,s have) the known jailbreak which will hopefully be released soon is only confirmed to work on all a4 devices which is a regular iphone 4, not a 4s. From what i have been reading, they are expirementing with a 4s now or soon to see if they can get a jailbreak but that could take some time. I am a newbie so someone please correct me if i am wrong here. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. You may want to keep your 5.0 until more info about the a5 chip jailbreak comes out. Better to be safe than sorry. You should save your 5.0 SHSH blobs also just in case you need to downgrade if you do update to 5.0.1

Oops - my fault, I should have been more clear I suppose. I am completely aware that there is no jailbreak for the 4s. Pod2g has a jailbreak for OS version 5.01 for the iPhone 4. My original question was not answered, but an interesting possibility was offered instead. Jmills posited that pod2g's current jailbreak WILL work on a 4s running 5.01 WHEN it is released. I am simply looking for corroboration on that (and I would also still like my original question answered).

Take care,
Rob

Jmills posited that pod2g's current jailbreak WILL work on a 4s running 5.01 WHEN it is released.
Incorrect, this is what Jmills stated...
The exploit used in pod2g's jailbreak works on 5.0 and 5.0.1.... All we are waiting on is for pod2g to port the jailbreak to the iPad2 and the iPhone4S...
He merely stated that the Jailbreak exploit works on iOS 5.0 & 5.0.1... and that we're WAITING on pod2g to PORT that jailbreak to the iPad 2 & iPhone 4S (A5 iDevices).

Hmm - then maybe I extrapolated too much. I had mentioned that I had a 4s and had not updated to 5.01 (which was related to my original - and still unanswered- question) and Jmills had said that I could upgrade to 5.01 if I wanted. I apologize for the mistake - but given the context, it still seems like a reasonable misunderstanding.

So I take it I should NOT upgrade to 5.01 if I want to jailbreak.

Anyway, I still hope someone can answer my original question about why the exploit pod2g had for the 4s won't work any more since Apple patched it - like I said, since WE (4s owners who want to jailbreak) havnt upgraded, shouldn't the exploit still work? Again, I understand that it doesn't - I am just trying to understand why.

Take care,
Rob

Simply put... pod2g has not had an exploit for the 4S or iPad 2 as of yet. The exploit he has is a Firmware Exploit that was designed for 5.0.... just so happens that it works for 5.0.1 as well. To this date it has only been tested on A4 and earlier devices. Hope this clears up anyconfustion...

Simply put... pod2g has not had an exploit for the 4S or iPad 2 as of yet. The exploit he has is a Firmware Exploit that was designed for 5.0.... just so happens that it works for 5.0.1 as well. To this date it has only been tested on A4 and earlier devices. Hope this clears up anyconfustion...

Hmm - I am not trying to be difficult, I am only trying to understand. In the IOS Vlog video on the iPhone Forum home page - "State of UNTETHERED iOS 5.0 JAILBREAK| iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPod Touch, 3GS" (located here), approximately 50 seconds into the video, Phil says that pod2g DID INDEED have an exploit working for the 4s and iPad 2. Was Phil incorrect? Or am I misunderstanding it still (a sincere possibility, I freely admit).

Take care,
Rob

I haven't watched the video... but if Phil is reporting it then it's probably true. Like it's been said... when a "WORKING" Untethered Jailbreak is available it will be reported all over this site.

Oh, I totally agree with that. My question is simply: since the exploit was patched in an update, but us 4s owners who want to jailbreak have NOT upgraded - why did pod2g have to scrap work on that exploit?

I understand that maybe no one but pod2g knows, and in the end it doesn't really matter... I am just curious is all.

Take care,
Rob

Very good question Rob... hopefully when pod2g begins the release process of his Jailbreak tool for 5.0 & 5.0.1 we'll know more information. It makes sense for him to be tight liped right now, though.

I'm not sure which exploit you are speaking of, nothing was ever scrapped. At JailbreakCon the Chronic Dev Team announced they had found multiple exploits in the (then beta) iOS5 firmware. It was later discovered that a few of those exploits had been patched in the public release of 5.0, they never started work on a jailbreak until that time in case that exact scenario had happened. I commented after Chronic Dev Team's keynote that it was probably not a good idea to tell Apple exactly how many exploits they had found, whether that announcement led to Apple patching a few of those exploits, we will probably never know.