What's new

To Jailbreak or Not to Jailbreak..that is the question

rolltide78

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm about 4 days in to using my iPhone and so far I like it a lot. I've come from a BB and am tolerating the multitasking feature of the native os as well as the messaging but everything else in the experience has been excellent. I have some concerns about jailbreaking. First, I have no idea how to keep iTunes from backing up my iphone every time I hook it up so if I did jailbreak it and I forgot to cancel the backup process when it synched I'd be screwed in being able to restore back. I really want to back it up and save iTunes to a disc so that I always have a copy of that backup. I spent a lot of money coming over to AT&T so my wife could get an iphone and would hate to end up with a brick. Secondly, what are the odds of jailbreaking and something going awry and ending up with a bricked phone? Third, what are some of the apps that really improve the experience in a big way. Ive seen the 5 dock and some of the themes but honestly I can live without that stuff. Multiflow/backgrounder and the "today" screen app (i forget what it's called) are the types of things I'm looking for and would love to have a list of more. Anyways, thanks a lot for your input and hope you guys have a good day.

rolltide78

Ok guys I'm about 4 days in to using my iPhone and so far I like it a lot. I've come from a BB and am tolerating the multitasking feature of the native os as well as the messaging but everything else in the experience has been excellent. I have some concerns about jailbreaking. First, I have no idea how to keep iTunes from backing up my iphone every time I hook it up so if I did jailbreak it and I forgot to cancel the backup process when it synched I'd be screwed in being able to restore back. I really want to back it up and save iTunes to a disc so that I always have a copy of that backup. I spent a lot of money coming over to AT&T so my wife could get an iphone and would hate to end up with a brick. Secondly, what are the odds of jailbreaking and something going awry and ending up with a bricked phone? Third, what are some of the apps that really improve the experience in a big way. Ive seen the 5 dock and some of the themes but honestly I can live without that stuff. Multiflow/backgrounder and the "today" screen app (i forget what it's called) are the types of things I'm looking for and would love to have a list of more. Anyways, thanks a lot for your input and hope you guys have a good day.

rolltide78

hi,

there is a way to stop itunes from automatic sync. but when you sync with itunes it only backups and saves official files and settings. if i jailbreak and then sync the iphone itunes does nto save any of the jailbreak at all so thats not really going to be a problem...

there is no chance of a bricked iphone when jailbreaking. none at all. it was only in the 1.XX firmware days when that twat zibri had the tool that would brick everyones phone, they had a term for it.. ziphoned! and even ZOMG ppl started saying...

so its safe now that hes got no work left to steal. you can trust the dev team for a safe jailbreak. or the other ones who provide jailbreak.

From what I've read people recommend to not back up your phone once you jailbreak. You seem to say it doesn't matter either way so I'm somewhat confused. I come from the Blackberry world where you can take as many backups of the phone as you'd like and you can save them off somewhere and restore any time. If there is a way you can get the same type of functionality or similar (backing up to a disc, etc) definitely let me know.

well i never had a problem with jailbreaking then backing up because tunes backup has nothing to do with jailbreak . saying that i never jailbroke my iphone 4. so if they are saying not to then maybe dont...

Once and if they release a jailbreakme for 4.0.2... definitely jailbreak it. Ive had numerous iphones dating back to the original 2g and its just flat out a different much more enjoyable phone once its jailbroken.

And like paliometoxo said, ive also never had a problem with jailbreak and syncing. Ive done restores and downgraded FW with no issues.

I'm new to iPhone, and I just bought a iPhone 3GS Version 4.0.2. When iTunes said I CAN UPDATED the software, I clicked, and then iTunes didn't regonize my iPhone, Did it happen to you? More unfornately, I check the "Restore Factory Settings" option, then it turned out to be a brick. OMG!

I could not go back to a caged iPhone.

??

banner.png

Ok. Jailbreaking is unlocking? I would like to unlock mine so I could use it in Costa Rica when I go there.

Ok. Jailbreaking is unlocking? I would like to unlock mine so I could use it in Costa Rica when I go there.

jailbreaking is the ability to install any app on your iphone with out the approval of apple and unlocking is using the phone world wide with any gsm carrier..

is there a reason why u want to jailbreak? If not, then dont do it

is there a reason why u want to jailbreak? If not, then dont do it

I want to be able to manage your call log the way it means to be, so i jailbreaked
7b796dff-72d3-7559.jpg
602cbb1c-7310-86f6.jpg
602cbb1c-7328-0ab5.jpg

I wanted to be able to theme my phone, so i jailbreaked
ade71d19-65e9-64aa.jpg
ade71d19-65fe-96bd.jpg
ade71d19-6610-f21e.jpg
ade71d19-661d-b51e.jpg

I wanted to be able to download youtube videos, so i jailbreaked
ade71d19-6656-18f3.jpg
ade71d19-6662-2aa3.jpg

I wanted to be able to upload pictures to my social networks accounts, i jailbreaked
ade71d19-66c4-a197.jpg
7b796dff-7163-acef.jpg
7b796dff-718a-5a93.jpg

I want to be able to download right from safari, so i jailbreaked
7b796dff-7222-d2cd.jpg
7b796dff-7252-c75d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bab2010 What is that theme you are using...

Bab2010 What is that theme you are using...

I'm using
UI Revamped: for the user interface.
Glasklart HD: for the theme.
I use both at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk