What's new

Back-up before jailbreaking?

J

jpcamaro70

I recently jailbroke my phone, iphone 4s 5.0.1, everything went smooth, no problems with a lot of help from weezy to get my theme the way i wanted it.

However, i recently spoke to someone who did a tethered jb some months ago and her instructions differed greatly from mine. She was told to have certain backups of itunes and said she had to back up her phone, use tinyumbrella? for something?

I just got the link to jb and did it. I didn't confirm an itunes version or store a backup or anything near what she's mentioning. did i screw this up? If i want to un-jailbreak will i be able to get back to normal?

I recently jailbroke my phone, iphone 4s 5.0.1, everything went smooth, no problems with a lot of help from weezy to get my theme the way i wanted it.

However, i recently spoke to someone who did a tethered jb some months ago and her instructions differed greatly from mine. She was told to have certain backups of itunes and said she had to back up her phone, use tinyumbrella? for something?

I just got the link to jb and did it. I didn't confirm an itunes version or store a backup or anything near what she's mentioning. did i screw this up? If i want to un-jailbreak will i be able to get back to normal?

Dont worry about that.. its just always advised to have a recent backup in itunes even if you dont jailbreak but if anything goes wrong you can restore and not lose anything..

you dont need to worry about using tinyumbrella (used to save SHSH's to be able to downgrade firmware) or a tethered jailbreak as that would mean you would have to re jailbreak your device every time you reboot it so I would avoid tethered jailbreaks.

Every firmware you usually use a different tool and a slightly different process and we have seen so many tools used to jb so you dont need to worry just use redsn0w and a un tethered jailbreak and you are good to go.

Plus you can always backup while jailbroken any way it makes no difference when you do it.

Thanks for the help.

I used absinthe for the untethered jb. is redsn0w something different that i need to be concerned with?

And how do you backup your phone? she's got me all nervous now.

Thanks for the help.

I used absinthe for the untethered jb. is redsn0w something different that i need to be concerned with?

And how do you backup your phone? she's got me all nervous now.

itunes auto backs up and no you dont need to be concerned about anything.. some firmwares/devices use different tools but in the end its the same thing.. you did the right thing.

?, hang on a minute this can't be right,

my JB was 5.1.1 absinthe 2.0, I forgot to backup and now I can't fix it, no point in backing up once JB'd because it will be a backup with a broken 3G and imessage,

no other choice but to do a full factory restore and loose all my purchases contacts messages, everything..

?, hang on a minute this can't be right,

my JB was 5.1.1 absinthe 2.0, I forgot to backup and now I can't fix it, no point in backing up once JB'd because it will be a backup with a broken 3G and imessage,

no other choice but to do a full factory restore and loose all my purchases contacts messages, everything..

I backup all the time on a jailbroken device it beats losing everything.. though your purchases in cydia and the app store save so it will just be a bit of hassle installing everything again

Yes but what is the point in restoring to a backup that is unstable and features not working?

Yes but what is the point in restoring to a backup that is unstable and features not working?

its not really un stable and the features do work.. or at least they do for me even when I restored to a backup of my jailbroken iphone on my ipad nothing was wrong with it, or just backup contacts with a 3rd party app from the app store or cydia you can save them and not lose the important data at least

I can only think it is the push for the iMessage activation it has disabled, yea pro my worked for you as you had a totality different backup to me was your backup JB 5.1.1 with absinthe 2.0.4?

Fixed my 3G but I reckon my iMessage until the release a fix or until iOS 6!

When I JB with my 4S I used absinthe and everything still backed up fine and when I had to restore there was no problem everything was right in my iTunes... My iPod touch 4G is still jb and it and my 4S both are 5.1.1 ... So after my iPhone started to glitch somewhat that's when I switched back and have had no problem since.. that's when I was more at ease knowing if I go to jb again that the method I used is fine... so I felt just the same as you jpcamaro70 at first... I had seen some different methods on youtube and it had me second guessing but I done some research here and found everything I needed to know... so don't worry your iTunes will have everything covered if you ever go to restore for any reason...