What's new

Droid terms and Apple terms - same or different?

maxwell

Reaction score
I guess I should have asked these questions when I first became a member here. Anyone here familiar with the rooting of an Android phone and the jailbreaking of an iPhone?

Rooting and jailbreaking? Same thing?

Nandroid backup the same as backing up on iTunes?

Leaked updates to droid os and upgrades to individual os (ex. gingerbread 2.0, gingerbread 2.1 and so forth) found on forums, ios updates only on iTunes?

Currently on ios 4.2.6. iTunes offering 4.2.9. If I want 4.2.8, am I SOL?

"Backing up" on iTunes is "syncing" on iTunes? If not, what is the difference and how do you "backup?

Can you make mutliple backups and restore to any of your choosing (like nandroid backups)?

When restoring because you bricked your iPhone, do you go back to the original os that came on your phone or do you restore to the latest os available thru iTunes?

Rooting and jailbreaking? Same thing? About the same, you will have the available to do think that the phone is not able.

Nandroid backup the same as backing up on iTunes? No, there is no need of nandroid backups because you can restore the phone with iTunes. However you want to look at saving SHSH blogs and a cydia program call pkgbackup, saving bolts allow you to go to a previous os version if you have them and pkgbackup allow you install all your tweaks back.

Leaked updates to droid os and upgrades to individual os (ex. gingerbread 2.0, gingerbread 2.1 and so forth) found on forums, ios updates only on iTunes? You will not find them here but google will be your friend.

Currently on ios 4.2.6. iTunes offering 4.2.9. If I want 4.2.8, am I SOL? There is no way to go to a previous version unless you have you SHSH blogs previously save = out of luck if your phone come with 4.2.9

"Backing up" on iTunes is "syncing" on iTunes? If not, what is the difference and how do you "backup? As I mention pkgbackup if you are jailbreak

Can you make mutliple backups and restore to any of your choosing (like nandroid backups)? You can have multiples iTunes backups as well.

When restoring because you bricked your iPhone, do you go back to the original os that came on your phone or do you restore to the latest os available thru iTunes? iTunes will restore to the current OS.

Hey Froggy, thanks for the quick responses and clarifying many questions I had.

One more new question and one old question. You mentioned SHSH Blogs. What are those? And how do perform a simple backup?

PS. Thanks for tip on PKGBACKUP.

I had a lot this question my self as a former android user :)

Ok, l will try to make it simple.... When you upgrade your software the device get a signature from the apple servers, like a license key kind of deal, when you save the SHSH blogs you can simulate that locally and get the previous software or so. You have to do that when the software is active otherwise you cant get it save because apple stop signing the software.

Do a search for tinyumbrella and you can use that to save your blogs. There is a lot of good videos to help you out in YouTube as well.