What's new

Time for upgrade (coming from Android world...)

maxwell888

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm due for an upgrade to my current phone Droid X.

I am torn trying to convince myself to buy an Iphone 5 over a Samsung S3.

I really want to get the Iphone as it feels super good on my hands. This thing is 'physically' a piece of art. Put it in my pocket, canÂ’t even tell I have a phone there...really good light weight but durable/hefty.

My problem is the everyday use that I have been struggling with vs. when I see what my buddies S3 can do.

What can the Iphone do that the S3 cannot do? I need someone to convince meÂ…
Web browsing speeds: almost sameÂ…iphone a bit fasterÂ…like a split second fasterÂ…but nothing so huge that is a WOW factor.
Opening and executing AppsÂ…both are super snappyÂ…cannot really tell any lags between the two phones. I think iphone is a little/tad quicker (againÂ…split second)Â…but not enough to wow me.
Camera: both look like they have good cameras for a “phone”. I have a Nikon D7000 that I use if I want to get a bit more serious with taking pictures….so camera is not such an issue for me.
Panoramic pics…so many articles boasting about Iphone panoramic ability…but the S3 also has/had this ability too which takes just as good images again…for a ‘phone’…no WOW factor on either side
IÂ’m on Verizon networkÂ…S3 can make calls and surf webÂ….Iphone cannot. Was thinking going AT&T but I want to stay on Verizon due to wider coverage of LTE where I live. I also use maps and talk at the same time a lot when I driveÂ…something Iphone cannot do at this time on current network.
Battery timeÂ…looks like they both have good battery lifeÂ….but S3 allows removable battery. Something good when I travel a lotÂ…I can keep a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] battery with me vs. being chain and balled to an outlet at the airport.
Hard drive space. Iphone have up to 64 gigsÂ…but S3 can go up to 96gigs and soon up to 128 gigs.
Iphone charges $400 for 64gig right nowÂ…but S3 I found would only cost me $300 to get to 96 gigs.
I think the one big thing that I really like about the iphone is the physical aspects of the phoneÂ…but everything elseÂ…it looks like S3 is just as good if not better when utilizing this in the everyday real world.

Is there anything that is a WOW factor for iphone that will set it apart from S3?

The iPhone will be supported for a lot longer by apple than the support for future updates that the s3 will get IMO

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

johnwolves said:
The iPhone will be supported for a lot longer by apple than the support for future updates that the s3 will get IMO

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

When you sell your iPhone down the road to get the iPhone 6 you'll get more money for the trade then you will for the s3.

They are both great phones and the features that they share are handled equally well on both phones(IMHO). I have the S3 and my sister has the iPhone 5. She loves Siri, which is a big plus for the iPhone over the S3. You will also have more accessory options with the iPhone. If you like to change the look and functionality of the interface, as well as being able to use widgets, then you would be better off going with the S3. Either way I think you will be happy. Best of luck to ya.

Tampa Tapper

I did the same and I don't regret it. I upgraded from a Fascinate and I lost faith in Samsungs hardware quality. I was on my THIRD replacement (4 phones in all) I surprised myself (and my iKids .. lol) when I switched from android to the new iPhone 5. I really like the overall quality .. hardware, screen and audio is much crisper/clearer even when on the speaker phone. Personally, the S 3 is just too big. The i5 is the same length as the Fascinate, but a tad less wide. Some of the features are definitely better designed and user friendlier. You will just have to compare and decide. I am happy with the switch.

I have been thinking of making the switch also.
Is it true that you can not surf the net and talk on Verizon iPhone 5? I know I could not on a 3g android but could on my gnexus which is 4g. I figured you would be able to on the 5.

To the OP, welcome. I too came from the Droid format (Droid X) to the iPhone 5. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Like you, I was initially torn between the S3 and the iPhone 5. I played around on the S3 and it seemed like a very nice phone. Immense screen size? You other love it or hate it. I kinda liked it but I also realized that one-handed operation was not going to be easy (or possible) most of the time. Coming from my DX, with its 4.3" screen, the S3 seemed a LOT bigger. Whereas the iPhone 5's 4" screen didn't seem too much smaller than my DX. I could handle either so I don't feel like I lost anything going to the 4" screen.

On to the operating system. First, I found the Droid OS to be disjointed, laggy and buggy. Might it have gotten better since I got the DX? I'm sure it has. However, the iPhone 5's iOS is buttery smooth and opens things almost instantaneously, something I wasn't used to with my DX. The system just feels smoother and more integrated. As for not being able to use data and voice at the same time, that doesn't really affect me as I can't think of a time in the 4 years or so that I've had one smartphone or another where I needed it or wished I had it. Again, though, this is a personal decision that great minds will differ about.

In addition, while everyone raves about being able to swap out batteries on the S3, the only time I ever pulled the battery from my DX was when it crashed and I was forced to do the ubiquitous battery-pull to get the phone operational again. Frankly the DX now can't keep the battery cover on since it's been taken off so many times in the last 2+ years. I won't have to worry about that with the iPhone. I can't compare battery life but honestly all I really need is for a smartphone to be able to remain operational though an entire workday and into the late dinner hour (7 am - 8 or 9 pm). It can go on the charger at night for all I care as that is when I spend time with my family and have no real use (most of the time) for the phone to be glued to my hand. That's just me, however, and I'm certain there are others who place a greater emphasis on batter life. I'm assuming that both phones have similar battery lives, though neither is the best performer in this category as I understand it. I've yet to have mine die at an inopportune time, though admittedly I have not totally tested its boundaries yet.

Finally, build quality. This one is not even close. The S3 felt very cheap to me. It felt like I could damage it by simply increasing my grip pressure. And judging from my experience with the DX battery cover having to come on/off on a very regular basis during its life cycle, I don't believe I would be going out on a limb to say that pulling/swapping batteries on the S3 would not be good long term to the battery cover. However, since I don't even know how you pull/swap the battery out of the S3, I won't really ding it in this category. But swapping batteries isn't important to me so this is a non-issue.

The iPhone itself simply presents itself as a better-built piece of electronic hardware. The lines, the edges, the buttons and the screen all look and feel better in every way than the S3. It just appears that far more R&D went into the iPhone and that it was built to a higher quality spec than other phones. While I'm sure there may be some quality control issues with the iPhone, as there are with ALL smartphones, there is NO phone that has sold 5 million units in its first weekend, and there is arguably no electronic product to ever be under as much scrutiny as the iPhone. Therefore, we're more likely to hear about some of the QC issues than we would with over phones. However, my phone arrived with no issues whatsoever, and it has exhibited nothing but smooth and hassle-free performance in the week and a half that I've had it.

In addition, the display on the iPhone is unmatched by the S3. The S3's display is certainly nothing to sneeze at, and it's a far cry better than my DX. However, test the iPhone 5 and S3 side by side for comparison purposes. The iPhone 5's screen is crisp, clear and has incredible color reproduction. The S3's screen seems to have some unnatural color reproduction and has kind of a "faded" or "washed out" look to it. Maybe it could be manually calibrated to make it look better, but even with tweeks I'm fairly certain it could not rise to the level of the display on the iPhone 5, which is like having a small, flat panel HD LCD TV with you at all times.

I chose the iPhone 5 and have not second-guessed myself one bit. In the end, though, only you know what features are important to you. Test drive both phones to see which one floats your boat.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Thank you for the quick replies. You all have excellent recommendations and good reasons for buying an Iphone. I am going to take the plunge and order one tomorrow. Only thing that kinda sucks...a month wait for it to arrive! cry...
Oh well...good things come to those who wait...

Thanks again all!

I had the Samsung galaxy S3 which is the best android phone that's out. I got rid of it to get the iphone 5. I don't regret it at all. Android OEM's don't pay attention to detail like Apple does. They just seem to rush headsets out in a hurry to stay on top. When picking up an iPhone I can feel the quality. I can't say the same about any of my android phones in the past. Get the iphone 5 don't settle for less :)

I'm late to this thread but I guess the OP has made his choice. I have a Iphone 5 and am selling the S3. I'm not selling it for the reasons mentioned here. I actually like the bigger screen, the ability to remove the battery and add more storage. I wish the Iphone 5 had a bigger screen. If they sold two versions, one with the 4" screen and one with maybe a 4.5" I have no doubt they would sell a lot of them.

The only reason I'm selling the S3 is because I'm a phone junkie and already have the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus, like the Iphone, is a stock experience phone and I've always liked that. Some other things I like about the Iphone 5 besides the obvious stuff is the lighting connector. It's nice to have a extra battery with the S3 but, from my experience the Iphone 5 still has better battery life and the new connector charges very fast. I charged my phone from 32% to 94% in a little under an hour. IMO you can't go wrong with either phone, it's just up to your personel preference.

Last edited:
If you root/unlock/flash custom kernels and roms then you will NOT find a better phone out right now than the S3. The s3 hands down with the right kernel and rom is faster and out performs all phones on the market.

BUT, if you do not root/unlock/flash then you may as well have an iphone because that is what android is all about anyways. I can't think of one android phone that is perfect without flashing it. IPhones are meant for the user friendly people that buy a phone and don't mess with it.

That's my. 02, I have the s3 and the wife has a ip5, they are both great phones. It's really all person preference. The whole android vs ios war is ridiculous because it all boils down to person preference.

Tapatalk'd / Galaxy SIII / Beans Rom

I'm late to this thread but I guess the OP has made his choice. I have a Iphone 5 and am selling the S3. I'm not selling it for the reasons mentioned here. I actually like the bigger screen, the ability to remove the battery and add more storage. I wish the Iphone 5 had a bigger screen. If they sold two versions, one with the 4" screen and one with maybe a 4.5" I have no doubt they would sell a lot of them.

The only reason I'm selling the S3 is because I'm a phone junkie and already have the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus, like the Iphone, is a stock experience phone and I've always liked that. Some other things I like about the Iphone 5 besides the obvious stuff is the lighting connector. It's nice to have a extra battery with the S3 but, from my experience the Iphone 5 still has better battery life and the new connector charges very fast. I charged my phone from 32% to 94% in a little under an hour. IMO you can't go wrong with either phone, it's just up to your personel preference.

Have to comment on this. I'm assuming you run custom kernels and roms since you own a nexus? And there's no way in hell the ip5 beats the s3 with custom rom/kernel in battery life. That's just false. Sorry for calling you out, but if someone were to read this its just not true.

I love apple and android, not bias at all so don't take it that way please, but not a true statement.

Have to comment on this. I'm assuming you run custom kernels and roms since you own a nexus? And there's no way in hell the ip5 beats the s3 with custom rom/kernel in battery life. That's just false. Sorry for calling you out, but if someone were to read this its just not true.

I love apple and android, not bias at all so don't take it that way please, but not a true statement.

According to the reviews posted on Verizon ..

S3 .. Customer Ratings & Reviews

1177 REVIEWS

rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

Features
ratingSecondary.gif

Ease of use
ratingSecondary.gif

Battery Life
ratingSecondary.gif

Performance
ratingSecondary.gif

Call Quality
ratingSecondary.gif

Share this produc

i5 reviews expectantly fewer reviews because it just came out ..

285 REVIEWS
rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

Features
ratingSecondary.gif

Ease of use
ratingSecondary.gif

Battery Life
ratingSecondary.gif

Performance
ratingSecondary.gif

Call Quality