What's new

jailbroken iphone 3gs will not turn on after respring

SanrioPrincess

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I was downloading fonts on my phone using betafont, the first font worked fine but after I resprang the second time it never turned back on. the wheel thingy just continued turning but nothing ever happened. However something very annoying does happen; Whenever somebody calls me, it shows me but will not let me answer and the screen freezes on that screen until I turn the phone off. At this point I have given up on the phone and gotten an htc wildfire (i'm very unhappy and i miss my iphone). All I really want is an explanation as to why this happened to me or if possible if it can be fixed, I haven't messed with it in about a week because every time I do I just become more disappointed. I guess the last thing I can mention is that it does have water damage, but hasn't had a problem since maybe around may, ever since then it's worked fine.

First off welcome to the forums! Secondly have you tried to perform a hard reset on your iPhone? That may help it cut on. If it does, I'd delete the last few apps/tweaks you've installed from cydia. If it doesn't help, you'll have to do a factory restore through iTunes.

SSH into your phone and uninstall BytaFont using this command:

dpkg -r com.iphoneruler.bytafont

Then go into System/Library/Fonts and delete any fonts that you installed with BytaFont

Bytafont provides the ability to restore your original fonts, so you should probably try that first, since it's likley just a bad font package you have... All the app does is replace your system fonts with another file, so the app itself can't be causing the problems.

Bytafont provides the ability to restore your original fonts, so you should probably try that first, since it's likley just a bad font package you have... All the app does is replace your system fonts with another file, so the app itself can't be causing the problems.

He said that he can't even access the springboard, it's just a black screen with a spinning wheel so he will have to uninstall the package manually with SSH.

Jmills87 said:
He said that he can't even access the springboard, it's just a black screen with a spinning wheel so he will have to uninstall the package manually with SSH.

Sorry, missed that part, but uninstalling the package is not the solution either IMHO. The original fonts need to be restored as they have been replaced. Getting shot of bytafont wont resolve that, and neither will deleting the fonts packages...

Last edited:
f4780y said:

How do you create a QR code with your info embedded in it? Saw your and have tried to search around with no luck

Sorry, missed that part, but uninstalling the package is not the solution either IMHO. The original fonts need to be restored as they have been replaced. Getting shot of bytafont wont resolve that, and neither will deleting the fonts packages...

Trust me, it's the solution. Same issue happened to me after I installed a font with BytaFont. By removing any fonts that BytaFont installed, the phone is forced to fallback on a default font which allows the phone to boot up again. BytaFont doesn't replace system fonts, it installs new ones and modifies the system configuration. The default system fonts will always remain in the fonts folder.

Last edited:
Trust me, it's the solution. Same issue happened to me after I installed a font with BytaFont. By removing any fonts that BytaFont installed, the phone is forced to fallback on a default font which allows the phone to boot up again. BytaFont doesn't replace system fonts, it installs new ones and modifies the system configuration. The default system fonts will always remain in the fonts folder.

We'll agree to differ on how bytafont works. The application website describes it quite well, including the process you need to perform if you end up with an endless respiring loop because bytafont does indeed replace your system fonts, rather than redirect them - Restore the iOS original fonts | BytaFont

The OP can use this process to get back to normal. Trust me, I've don't it myself :)

Those instructions are for if you are able to access the bytafont app, but again, he is stuck at a black screen with a loading wheel so the /only/ way to fix it is to SSH into his phone and uninstall bytafont and remove any fonts it installed manually like I suggested.

I don't debate he can't access the springboard, as I said I missed that on the first post.

I don't think you bothered to read down past the first section to the "Manual Restore" section which is specifically targeted to the OP's situation. i.e. where your only option is to SSH onto the device.

As I said, bytafont replaces the system fonts, it does not re-direct them. Specifically, on 4.3.3, the files it replaces are as follows (although not all installed font packages will replace all files):

_H_Helvetica.ttc
_H_HelveticaNeue.ttc
_H_MarketFeltThin.ttf
LockClock.ttf
PhoneKeyCaps.ttf
PhonpadTwo.ttf

These are all stored in System/Library/Fonts/Cache

It does not matter what fonts you install through Cydia. When you use BytaFont to apply the font it is always these system fonts it copies to and overwrites... I am using bytafont at the moment, and can confirm this to be the case...

I'm not sure what additional evidence I can provide, but you should at least be able to respect the developers own guidance from their website.

Hi everyone, first off let me tell you that I don't know about SSH or trying to get into the iphone because I'm an 18 year old girl who just graduated high school and was in no way in any technology classes, So if yall could please educate me in that I would be so greatful! Thank you so much for yalls help, unfortunately I was never able to try yalls solutions because my mom got ahold of the phone (she is the one who saved it after the water damage) and tried to reset it to the factory settings, she unjailbroke it and now it's the same problem I had before except there is an apple on the screen instead of a pineapple. I'm not real sure where to go from here, it's asking to connect to itunes. Before I knew what was wrong just not how to fix it, but the problem is now I do not know whats wrong nor how to fix it. :(

Hi everyone, first off let me tell you that I don't know about SSH or trying to get into the iphone because I'm an 18 year old girl who just graduated high school and was in no way in any technology classes, So if yall could please educate me in that I would be so greatful! Thank you so much for yalls help, unfortunately I was never able to try yalls solutions because my mom got ahold of the phone (she is the one who saved it after the water damage) and tried to reset it to the factory settings, she unjailbroke it and now it's the same problem I had before except there is an apple on the screen instead of a pineapple. I'm not real sure where to go from here, it's asking to connect to itunes. Before I knew what was wrong just not how to fix it, but the problem is now I do not know whats wrong nor how to fix it. :(

OK, well given your situation it's doubtful you ever had OpenSSH to start with, so the best thing for you to do is to try and get your phone back to stock IOS and take it from there... At least we should be able to get it working again... :D

To do this the best thing to do is get the phone into DFU mode. First of all connect your iPhone to your PC with the cable.
Then it is quite simple. You hold both the home and power buttons together for exactly 10 seconds and let go of the power whilst continuing to hold home. After about 15 seconds your device will be in DFU mode. We have a guide here if you are struggling with it - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

Just remember, hold both buttons for exactly 10 seconds, let go of the power but keep holding the home button. Your iPhone will reset at about the 7 second mark. This is normal. Just ignore it and continue counting up to 10... It might take a couple of attempts to get it right, but don't give up!

Your screen should stay black when in DFU mode, but iTunes should tell you it has detected a device in recovery mode. This is good! When it does this, press OK and then press the "Restore" button in iTunes. That should get you back to factory freshness with a working iPhone.

Let us know how you get on... Good luck!

Thank you guys for all your help, my dad somehow unjailbroke his on accident and fixed it, then was able to fix mine! It works perfectly now (however I have no idea how he did it) :)

Those instructions are for if you are able to access the bytafont app, but again, he is stuck at a black screen with a loading wheel so the /only/ way to fix it is to SSH into his phone and uninstall bytafont and remove any fonts it installed manually like I suggested.

Hi there, I am in the exact position the other guy is. Changed my font using bytafont and my phone won't turn on, only on the black screen. Can I just restore it using iTunes, by returning it to factoring settings, or will that brick it? I have absolutely no clue what to do, I had the iPhone jailbroken for me, so whatever SSH is (to do it manually) I don't know about. But I am willing to do it.

Thanks for your time,

jhoff