What's new

Jailbreaking

nicki248

Reaction score
I am trying to download the 4.2.8 ipsw, I need to know is it suppost have a zip? at the end of it. Maybe that is what is giving me trouble, thanks
If it is, how do I get rid of it?

Unzip the file to your desktop, the file should be ipsw extention and size about 600mb.

Don't unzip it. It's a firmware file it's supposed to be zipped. If it appears as a zip file it's probably because you have a program like win rar installed that recognises it as a zip file.

If you've downloaded it from the Internet somewhere and the ipsw file is in a zip folder be very aware. It could contain any sort of virus, spyware etc. My advice would be to delete it and download th ipsw direct form apple. I can provide you with an official link of you need one...

every one on windows keeps thinking the .ipsw is a .zip or .rar file because thats what winzip/winrar recognises it as but they dont see that its not a zip file and sit there trying to extract it not realising they are extracting the .ipsw and are insisting its a zip file :/

Ok, this is the one I will keep open. I have downloaded the 4.28 from that site that link and it is on my desktop in a folder with a zipper on it and then I have something from redsnow downloaded 09.6 rc18 and I have it open, it a browse, but when I click on it to find the ispw, it doesn't show up on my desktop, but it is there.

This is the link you need,

iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw

I suggest using snowbreeze to jailbreak your phone. You can get it from here,

sn0wbreeze-v2.7r2.zip

You will need to unzip snowbreeze DO NOT unzip the ipsw from the first link. Make sure your iTunes is also up to date.

Open snowbreeze and show it the ipsw from the first link. Wait until its verified then select expert mode, then build ipsw and finally general. You custom ipsw will now be built. It will take a while so be patient.

Once that's all finished get your phone into DFU. Snowbreeze will show you how after its built your ipsw. Now open up iTunes it should detect your phone in recovery mode. Hold shift and press restore. Once iTunes is done your phone will be jailbroken...

Hi, I click on that link for snowbreeze and says the link has been removed.

I am downloading that first link, but when I click on that it came up iphone3,3_4.2.8_,,,,,Restore.zip. It will take 1 hr and 20 seconds. Also what do you mean by show it to snowbreeze, I understand by unzipping the snowbreeze but how would i show it to it. thanks for being so patienced.

This is the link you need,

iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw

I suggest using snowbreeze to jailbreak your phone. You can get it from here,

sn0wbreeze-v2.7r2.zip

You will need to unzip snowbreeze DO NOT unzip the ipsw from the first link. Make sure your iTunes is also up to date.

Open snowbreeze and show it the ipsw from the first link. Wait until its verified then select expert mode, then build ipsw and finally general. You custom ipsw will now be built. It will take a while so be patient.

Once that's all finished get your phone into DFU. Snowbreeze will show you how after its built your ipsw. Now open up iTunes it should detect your phone in recovery mode. Hold shift and press restore. Once iTunes is done your phone will be jailbroken...

what jailbreak tool it is will never recognize a zip extension as been an ipsw extension. The downloaded ipsw have to be modify by the extension, either form .zip to .ipsw or the zip file have to be extract in case the zip file contains the ipsw file. But just loading "iphone4 4.2.8.zip" file into redsnow for exemple never works. but loading "iphone 4 4.2.8.ipsw" file into redsnow will surely be recognize by redsnow. so like i said, either modify the extension of the downloaded file, either the ipsw file is in the zip file.

Ok here's the link to the official sn0wbreeze website,

iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

What I mean by show it to snowbreeze is whnen you open snowbreeze it will ask for a firmware file. Point it to the one in the first link.

The first link is the official apple download. It shouldn't be showing up as a .zip. It's not. Do not try to modify it. Snowbreeze should recognise it as an .ipsw file and. not a .zip. Remove any win rar or 7zip style programs form your computer and it should be a little less confusing for you...

I downloaded it again on my desktop and when it gets finish it still has a zipper on the folder and I know for sure that I don't have any program like win rar on it, so why is it doing this. Thanks.

bab, how would I modify it, like what do I need to do.

ok, I click to download the ispw again, and it comes up in a small window that says "Do you want to open or save this file? Name: iphone3,3_4.2.8. Restore.zip
Type: Compressed (zipped) Folder, 652 MB
What is wrong, I can't get anywhere. I have snowbreeze downloaded, but the other isn't going anywhere. Help me, please.

bab, how would I modify it, like what do I need to do.

If the suppose ipsw file you download come in a zip file, double click on the zip file and see if you find one file in it with an ipsw extension. If yes the ipsw file is inside the zip, unzip it to your desktop. The ipsw file is one file with a size of about 600MB
of there is no ipsw file within the zip and instead you see millions of files in the zip, try to change the zip file extension from xxx.zip to xxx.ipsw still after all that manipulation the ipsw file have to be ~=600MB

My phone is finally jailbroken thanks to everyone that helped me. You guys were great.