What's new

4.2.8 jailbreak not working!!

Reaction score
Ok, so a friend and I go new phones from Apple yesterday...they are Verizon iPhone 4s. They came with the 4.2.8 firmware, and I'm sure everyone knows the latest is 4.2.10 for the CDMA phones. We can't get the Sn0wbreeze jailbreak to work, and I'm thinking it's because Apple isn't signing the 4.2.8 firmware anymore so the jailbreak isn't going to work at all. Am I correct in thinking this? If not, what am I doing wrong, and if so, is there another jailbreak solution? Seems kinda dumb to make a jailbreak that will only work while that firmware is the latest out....

Edit: I forgot to mention that we get as far as restoring the phone with the IPSW file that Sn0wbreeze creates, but we keep getting the 3194 error from iTunes.

Last edited:
Try jailbreakme.com from the safari browser in the phone.

Sn0wbreeze would have worked if you would have dumped your SHSH with iFaith first. Are you still able to boot to your springboard on 4.2.8? If so just go to JailbreakMe 3.0 to jailbreak. However, if you got stuck in a recovery loop trying to restore the custom firmware without your SHSH I'm afraid you are stuck and have no choice but to go to 4.2.10.

If you are still able to boot to your springboard with 4.2.8 I would suggest dumping your SHSH with iFaith ASAP.

Last edited:
Well I tried doing the RedSn0w tethered jailbreak...got as far as downloading the untethered app from Cydia, when the phone rebooted, the apple logo came up, then would go away, then would come back up, then would go away, then would come back up...over and over and over...finally had to put it in DFU and restore it in iTunes and I know have the moderated 4.2.10 again!!! I don't understand why that didn't work though...and why can't they come up with a similar solution for 4.2.10 where you can do the tethered jailbreak and then make it unthethered through an app in cydia?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no jailbreaks for 4.2.10(tethered or untethered). If you are on 4.2.10 you will have to wait until iOS5 is released and jailbroken or until MuscleNerd updates Redsn0w to support a tethered jailbreak for 4.2.10

Jmills87 said:
There are no jailbreaks for 4.2.10(tethered or untethered). If you are on 4.2.10 you will have to wait until iOS5 is released and jailbroken or until MuscleNerd updates Redsn0w to support a tethered jailbreak for 4.2.10

Redsnow will do a tethered jailbreak. But basically, there may as well be no jailbreak at all if tethered is all that exists...because tethered SUCKS!! I don't know if I can wait until iOS 5! It takes like a week for these people to make a jailbreak...why not make one for 4.2.10?!

Redsnow will do a tethered jailbreak. But basically, there may as well be no jailbreak at all if tethered is all that exists...because tethered SUCKS!! I don't know if I can wait until iOS 5! It takes like a week for these people to make a jailbreak...why not make one for 4.2.10?!

No, there is not even a tethered jailbreak for 4.2.10.

Also, you are DRASTICALLY underestimating what it takes to make a jailbreak. Firstly, you have to find an exploit within the operating system to deliver the jailbreak payload(this step alone can take months).

Once you find the exploit, you have to figure out a way to deliver the payload via the exploit you have found(this takes days if not weeks). You then have to package the exploit and payload into a tool that can be used by the end-user(again takes days if not weeks).

Once you have packaged the exploit and payload, you then have to test the tool on multiple different devices to make sure there are no bugs which takes another few weeks.

THEN you can release the jailbreak. So no, it does not take "like a week" to make a jailbreak.

Last edited:

*UPDATE 8/1/11* After several reports of 4.2.10 tethered jailbreak not working after installing a Cydia package that requires reboot, it appears that it is not currently possible to jailbreak 4.2.10. If you have your 4.2.9, or better yet, 4.2.8 SHSH blobs, you should downgrade. Otherwise, for now, you are out of luck. I am actively trying to find a solution to this issue and will post an update if I find one.

*UPDATE 8/1/11* After several reports of 4.2.10 tethered jailbreak not working after installing a Cydia package that requires reboot, it appears that it is not currently possible to jailbreak 4.2.10. If you have your 4.2.9, or better yet, 4.2.8 SHSH blobs, you should downgrade. Otherwise, for now, you are out of luck. I am actively trying to find a solution to this issue and will post an update if I find one.
Ok, so is the jailbreak they're working on going to be just tethered, or can we look forward to an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.10? Seems like it's going to be a few months before they release iOS 5 so seems like it would be worth it. I would think Apple would have more updates between now and then so makes perfect sense to me to go ahead and make a jailbreak for it. But the reason I ask so skeptically is because I started a thread a while back specifically asking about the 4.2.10 jailbreak and the guys who replied to that seemed to be pretty confident in the fact that there will never be a 4.2.10 untethered jailbreak because of the fact that iOS 5 is being released "soon".

There will never be an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.10, it would be a waste of an exploit. There MIGHT be a tethered jailbreak at some point if MuscleNerd decides to add compatibility in Redsn0w, but he has not even acknowledged it yet, so who knows.

Jmills87 said:
There will never be an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.10, it would be a waste of an exploit. There MIGHT be a tethered jailbreak at some point if MuscleNerd decides to add compatibility in Redsn0w, but he has not even acknowledged it yet, so who knows.

Well that's a huge let down to us who are stuck on stupid 4.2.10. And if you're not going to follow up with an untethered jailbreak, tethered is a waste of time because who in the heck wants to go through that BS every single time they wanna reboot their phone!

My phone was tethered during 4.0 for 2 months, I never once rebooted it without a computer near me. It's really not that big of a deal. Just keep your phone charged and don't install any Cydia packages that require reboot unless you're near a computer.

Jmills87 said:
My phone was tethered during 4.0 for 2 months, I never once rebooted it without a computer near me. It's really not that big of a deal. Just keep your phone charged and don't install any Cydia packages that require reboot unless you're near a computer.

I can think of tons of times I download a app from Cydia while not around a computer that required a reboot.