What's new

4.2.8 jailbreak not working!!

Jmills87 said:
So just don't download them while you're not around a computer.... simple.

Yeah but you never know which ones are just gonna respring or which ones require a reboot. It's not worth having if you have to be around a computer EVERY SINGLE TIME you wanna download an app from Cydia. Not to mention that there are sometimes you need to reboot your phone for reasons that have nothing to do with your jailbreak. I do hard restarts all the time to simply refresh the phone.

Any applications that modify mobilesubstrate or the way the phone operates or functions require reboot. All other apps require respring or nothing at all. Just install all the apps you want when you're at home near a computer and then if you're on the go at some point and you want to install an app that requires reboot just wait until you get home to install....it's really a small price to pay to be jailbroken.

Jmills87 said:
Any applications that modify mobilesubstrate or the way the phone operates or functions require reboot. All other apps require respring or nothing at all. Just install all the apps you want when you're at home near a computer and then if you're on the go at some point and you want to install an app that requires reboot just wait until you get home to install....it's really a small price to pay to be jailbroken.

Thanks for the headsup

I agree tethered isn't that bad. I don't turn my phone off ever. unless i am jailbreaking is the only time I reboot my iphone unless i am having trouble. There really isn't any reason to reboot. If your phone is running ok. Then whats the need

Found a solution today. Went to apple and told them the phone was being screwy and they gave me a new phone that was on 4.2.8. Went to jailbreakme.com before I even left the store and there ya go...phone is jailbroken! Untethered too!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work Clemson, I've done that before as well! Make sure you dump your 4.2.8 SHSH with iFaith so that you can restore 4.2.8 if your phone ever gets screwed up!

IFaith V1.1 looks a little scary. Running Jailbreakme 3.0 on Verizon 4 CDMA 4.2.8. Runs great and smooth. No problems at all. Tried Tiny umbrella no luck saving SHSH blobs. Is I faith easy to use? looks like it may take device into DFU mode and with jailbreakme never had to do that. Also what is the Cydia patch I need to do the security update that 4.2.9 and 4.2.10 protected against? Love that Jailbreakme. Just want to make sure I am covered and stay at 4.2.8 until 5.0 comes out. Jailbreakme makes a great device even better

My phone was tethered during 4.0 for 2 months, I never once rebooted it without a computer near me. It's really not that big of a deal. Just keep your phone charged and don't install any Cydia packages that require reboot unless you're near a computer.

This.

Unlike most other phones i've had, my iPhone never spontaneously reboots itself. There is really no need to reboot it more than once in a great while, and there's no risk of the battery falling out.

Just plan your reboots around when you are close to your PC and you will be fine.

ClemsonMarshal said:
Redsnow will do a tethered jailbreak. But basically, there may as well be no jailbreak at all if tethered is all that exists...because tethered SUCKS!! I don't know if I can wait until iOS 5! It takes like a week for these people to make a jailbreak...why not make one for 4.2.10?!

What's the difference between tethered and untethered?

holophyte said:
What's the difference between tethered and untethered?

A tethered jailbreak requires your phone to be connected to your computer every time you need to reboot. A untethered jailbreak doesn't need a computer to reboot itself.

IFaith V1.1 looks a little scary. Running Jailbreakme 3.0 on Verizon 4 CDMA 4.2.8. Runs great and smooth. No problems at all. Tried Tiny umbrella no luck saving SHSH blobs. Is I faith easy to use? looks like it may take device into DFU mode and with jailbreakme never had to do that. Also what is the Cydia patch I need to do the security update that 4.2.9 and 4.2.10 protected against? Love that Jailbreakme. Just want to make sure I am covered and stay at 4.2.8 until 5.0 comes out. Jailbreakme makes a great device even better

Doesn't matter how smooth it's running you need to backup your SHSH ASAP. You never know when your phone might get corrupted and force you to restore. You need to use the latest version of iFaith version 1.3. Just click "Dump SHSH" and follow the onscreen instructions to put it into DFU mode.

Wait, so how do you save your SHSH? Is this app you're talking about in Cydia or do you do it from a computer? I thought Cydia was supposed to have some "make my life easier" option to do all that also...