What's new

Not a valid Ipsw on snowbreeze after changed from zip file

Nikkilee

Reaction score
I'm trying to jailbreak my iPhone for Verizon 4.2.8 and have downloaded snowbreeze 2.7.3 and a new version of the Ipsw. Every time I try it tells me not a valid Ipsw. Have downloaded over 10 and they all say the same. Even tried redsnow. Same thing. Can someone please help me as this is driving me nuts and making me hate my phone and it's stock text tones. PLEASE. Thank you.

LOL, You might just want to wait for iOS 5 then. It has custom text tones.

But if you are hell bent on jail breaking, simply go to the new jailbreakme 3.0 site and it will take less than 2 minutes. I highly recommend you do a standard iTunes backup before visiting the site.

dont download the .ipsw with internet explorer! that seems to recognise the ipsw as a .zip for some strange reason

dont download the .ipsw with internet explorer! that seems to recognise the ipsw as a .zip for some strange reason

Technically, it is a zip file with a .ipsw extension. Try renaming it with a .zip extension, and then unzip it, you will see what I mean.

I have been downloading .ispw files in Explorer for a long time with no problems. Make sure you haven't assigned .ipsw to be opened in windows with Unzip by default, it should be set to open with iTunes only.

Technically, it is a zip file with a .ipsw extension. Try renaming it with a .zip extension, and then unzip it, you will see what I mean.

I have been downloading .ispw files in Explorer for a long time with no problems. Make sure you haven't assigned .ipsw to be opened in windows with Unzip by default, it should be set to open with iTunes only.

yes i know, when you rename to .zip you extract the many files with in the .ipsw but the point is that when they think its a .zip that needs to be extracted and use winrar to extract it and wonder why its not working..

But Internet explorer has this issue with downloading the .ipsw so he would need to use chrome or ff or safari, anything but ie

"But Internet explorer has this issue with downloading the .ipsw so he would need to use chrome or ff or safari, anything but ie"

Sorry, I had forgotten about that thing called "Internet Explorer", it's been so long sense I used it. But, that just adds to the other thousand reasons NOT to use Internet Explored for anything. I use FF and Chrome. I don't think Microsoft will ever get it right, in spite of all the great examples that FF and Chrome have given them.

Alittle more detail....lol I used safari to download the Ipsw as well same thing. So I had no idea. I gave up and used jailbreak me 3.0 today it took 2 mins. I was happy and aggravated all at the same time ;) downloaded bitesms and guess what constant reboot mode and when it finally came around 2 hrs later it was in safe mode. Yay!! Not. Managed to delete bite and now seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all the help guys!! I'm sure I'll have more questions when it comes time to jailbreak 5.0 lol. The only things I wanted were custom text tones and music without iTunes! Ugh