What's new

Help with Snowbreeze/jailbreaking?

foolery

Reaction score
Folks:

New to the forum - thanks for some great info already, BUT while I have tried to scour the forum, I haven't found a specific answer to my personal problem which is -

I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon, OS 4.2.1. Love personalizing it but hadn't been able to get personalized SMS alerts onto it. Found that I need to (1) jailbreak it and then (2) browse and add things using a program like iPhoneBrowser or Redsnow.

If I'm right so far, the issue I seem to be having is that although Snowbreeze SEEMS to read the iPSW package I downloaded and SEEMS to clean my iPhone (Snowbreeze talks me through holding the home and power keys, then says it is complete in reading and storing it, etc). I then connect to iTunes, which says it is a clean phone and proceeds to reinstall eveything.

I THEN try to browse my newly reinstalled (and I THOUGHT jailbroken) iPhone using iPhoneBrowser v.1.9.3.0 but it says the iPhone is NOT jailbroken (connected but not jailbroken (no afc2 found)). I can see loads of basic files and folders (Books, DCIM, Downloads, iTunes Control, etc.) stored on my iPhone but sure cannot seem to locate where to insert any new *.caf files to use as an SMS alert tone...

Any suggestions/advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Tom

If you have Cydia on your springboard then you're jailbroken. You won't be able to access the root directories using iPhoneBrowser, you have to connect via OpenSSH using an SSH client like WinSCP.

Also there is no 4.2.1 for the Verizon iPhone and unless you had your SHSH keys saved for 4.2.6/4.2.7/4.2.8 it is not possible for you to jailbreak.

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I listed 4.2.1 was when I check my settings on my iPhone is shows software version 4.2.1 on the iTunes page for my iPhone...? I have seen references to the term/program "Cydia" arouind on pages and forums, but obviously don't have it on my iPhone yet. I have tried connecting to my iPhone using WinSCP but the connection is always denied (although I did set the timeout to 45 seconds)...

Is there a different/better program than Snowbreeze to use to try to jailbreak my unit? I am running Windows 7.

Thanks again.

To9m

If you are jailbroken, you will have Cydia on your springboard. Open that and find and install OpenSSH. Once that is complete you will be able to connect to the phone using Winscp using "root" and "alpine".

Yes, I have been looking for Cydia to appear somewhere - ANYWHERE! I guess my real question is: Since Snowbreeze doesn't appear to jailbreak my iPhone, what does anyone suggest?

And perhaps another question, since Jmills87 brought it up, what's the deal with my version being 4.2.10? iTunes updates and says that is the latest software version for my iPhone...? Can I somehow force an upgrade to a newer version and maybe THEN Snowbreeze or something would jailbreak it?

Continued thanks.

Tom

4.2.10 is different than 4.2.1. 4.2.10 is the latest CDMA iPhone firmware and 4.2.1 is an old GSM firmware. There are no jailbreaks for 4.2.10 so unfortunately you are stuck for now.

Yowch! How totally uncool! But thanks for the replies and info.

Tom