What's new

Is this battery life considered good ? Picture attachef

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can run the same test with different devices and results is still the same
I have. That's how I know your claims are false.
Your claim that wifi has minimal effect on battery life is simlpy not true
It's you that are stating myths my friend. I did the test again over the last two days. No battery drain difference between Wifi on or off when "Ask to Join Networks" is turned off. If it's on on YOUR phone / then there will be about 30 min to an hour's worth of battery difference. That's probably how you're getting your results.

But it doesn't matter how many times you state the myth, i5. Doesn't make it true. You're the only one making this claim. The rest here that have chimed in have done the same test and none can corroborate your claim. So if there's some proof you could show us. Even 1 written source from Apple or other 3rd party testing company? In the absence of proof I would suggest others reading this thread to ignore your input, my friend. Make sure your "Ask to Join Networks" switch is set to off.

Here is another example of saving more than 1.5 hours just by turning wifi off

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361484224.078280.jpg

Here is another example of saving more than 1.5 hours just by turning wifi off

View attachment 11354
Yes, that's one source. But as I said - battery dr's "estimates" are based on people leaving their Ask to Join Networks button in the on position - which is how the phone comes set stock. I already acknowledged this to you in my first post here when I said both you and Thomas were correct. What you are trying to say is that when that switch is OFF there is still an hours worth of battery drain. That is not the case. I believe you are keeping that switch on, i5.

Newest one 612
You know, i5, I've been doing some more mulling this over this afternoon and another couple of thoughts occur to me. I'm assuming you're jailbroken. Right? When we jailbreak our phones we take them out of their "normal state" of running exactly like Apple designed. I will admit too that a wifi transmitter/receiver is a machine that needs power. And turning it off or on could seem like a no-brainer that it could save battery power. The problem with that thinking is that wifi uses the same base antenna circuitry within the phone as the transmitter for the cellular. Only meaning to say that it's never really totally off - which is why it can't really be that large a factor in battery drain. "Some part in it", yes - when the Ask to Join Networks is on - moreso than when off.

But if you're jailbroken I have another humch. It is true that how much you "actively access' the wifi network versus not using it all will affect battery drain. The more you're transmittting the more you're using it - the more it will drain battery as opposed to shutting it off. Up to now your argument has been simply turning it on and off, whether or not you use it, will affect battery. That's false. BUT, BUT....... there are many tweaks - that if not set up properly could be accessing your Wifi all day long. Certain types of weather animations or widgets that you use - even news service tweaks and things like that that can all lean heavily on the Wifi receiver which makes it work harder which drains battery. If you were to compare your Wifi being on to off and have a tweak that is constantly accessing data via wifi all day long, even when your phone's in standby (yes the phone can do stuff when it's in standby) then that could account for what you're experiencing. But it's NOT in Apple's design for iOS and that's why you've gotten so much push back here. But I am willing to bet that you're jailbroken and that you may use a tweak or two that accesses data via wifi all day long when you were doing your tests.

Are you in fact jailbroken?

You know, i5, I've been doing some more mulling this over this afternoon and another couple of thoughts occur to me. I'm assuming you're jailbroken. Right? When we jailbreak our phones we take them out of their "normal state" of running exactly like Apple designed. I will admit too that a wifi transmitter/receiver is a machine that needs power. And turning it off or on could seem like a no-brainer that it could save battery power. The problem with that thinking is that wifi uses the same base antenna circuitry within the phone as the transmitter for the cellular. Only meaning to say that it's never really totally off - which is why it can't really be that large a factor in battery drain. "Some part in it", yes - when the Ask to Join Networks is on - moreso than when off.

But if you're jailbroken I have another humch. It is true that how much you "actively access' the wifi network versus not using it all will affect battery drain. The more you're transmittting the more you're using it - the more it will drain battery as opposed to shutting it off. Up to now your argument has been simply turning it on and off, whether or not you use it, will affect battery. That's false. BUT, BUT....... there are many tweaks - that if not set up properly could be accessing your Wifi all day long. Certain types of weather animations or widgets that you use - even news service tweaks and things like that that can all lean heavily on the Wifi receiver which makes it work harder which drains battery. If you were to compare your Wifi being on to off and have a tweak that is constantly accessing data via wifi all day long, even when your phone's in standby (yes the phone can do stuff when it's in standby) then that could account for what you're experiencing. But it's NOT in Apple's design for iOS and that's why you've gotten so much push back here. But I am willing to bet that you're jailbroken and that you may use a tweak or two that accesses data via wifi all day long when you were doing your tests.

Are you in fact jailbroken?

No

Not jailbroken

dont know if this helps, but ( for comparison sake ) i have experienced that being at home with wifi connected all day drained less battery as opposed to not using wifi at home all day. this was with the 4 though. and always jailbroken.

As 2 other people have stated in this thread, when wifi is on and ask to join is off, the phone disconnects from wifi networks after 60 seconds of being locked and only scans for a split second for wifi once its unlocked. This is noted by Apple also. It's been that way forever now. If your device is draining battery, then you should do a full restore with no backup. If the problem persists, take it to Apple.

another way of proving this is. when ur connected through wifi. lock ur phone. wait a few minutes. turn ur phone back on. u will see it goes from 4g/lte/3g, Whatever first then a few seconds later, it switches to wifi. at least thats how it works with all my idevices.

Wifi off

100% after 90 mintes

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361554118.448454.jpg

This didnt meant to be a test

Just an update on my battery usage with wifi off

I have yet to see a battery usage of those who claim wifi-on doesnt impact the battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.