What's new

Is this battery life considered good ? Picture attachef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am buried with changing companies, so I will be very brief on this subject

WiFi ON with Ask to Join Networks ON: iPhone will scan for new WiFi points every 60 seconds while it is UNLOCKED ONLY and not actively connected to a WiFi point.

WiFi ON with Ask to Join Networks OFF: iPhone will scan for known WiFi points AT UNLOCK based on LOCATION and will continue to check for a KNOWN point based on your current LOCATION until connected.

WiFi will AUTO DISCONNECT within 60 seconds upon iPhone going to sleep UNLESS there is an active connection and the application makes an API call to keep it alive. Currently Apple's SDK documents that connection will only stay active for up to 30 minutes unless it re-request another block of time.

Now what does this mean? If you run a test of "WiFi On with Join Networks OFF" at or even NEAR a location where you have TAUGHT your iPhone that a TRUSTED WiFi point exists but that WiFi point is OFF, OF COURSE you are going to drain the battery FASTER. This is a NO DUH moment if it ever existed. This why location data is collected and used by Apple. It is to SAVE BATTERY life for the cellular radio, WiFi radio and full positional (sub 100 meters) GPS locking.

But if you change the condition without reteaching the iPhone, you can bet your life you are going to drain the battery.

So if you are in a location with NO KNOWN WiFI points and you have WiFi ON and Ask to Join Networks OFF you will NOT drain your battery. PERIOD. End of that myth.

Ok, I am buried with changing companies, so I will be very brief on this subject

WiFi ON with Ask to Join Networks ON: iPhone will scan for new WiFi points every 60 seconds while it is UNLOCKED ONLY and not actively connected to a WiFi point.

WiFi ON with Ask to Join Networks OFF: iPhone will scan for known WiFi points AT UNLOCK based on LOCATION and will continue to check for a KNOWN point based on your current LOCATION until connected.

WiFi will AUTO DISCONNECT within 60 seconds upon iPhone going to sleep UNLESS there is an active connection and the application makes an API call to keep it alive. Currently Apple's SDK documents that connection will only stay active for up to 30 minutes unless it re-request another block of time.

Now what does this mean? If you run a test of "WiFi On with Join Networks OFF" at or even NEAR a location where you have TAUGHT your iPhone that a TRUSTED WiFi point exists but that WiFi point is OFF, OF COURSE you are going to drain the battery FASTER. This is a NO DUH moment if it ever existed. This why location data is collected and used by Apple. It is to SAVE BATTERY life for the cellular radio, WiFi radio and full positional (sub 100 meters) GPS locking.

But if you change the condition without reteaching the iPhone, you can bet your life you are going to drain the battery.

So if you are in a location with NO KNOWN WiFI points and you have WiFi ON and Ask to Join Networks OFF you will NOT drain your battery. PERIOD. End of that myth.
Thank you! Matches what's been said by most of us. So the least chance of drain on the battery in everyday use would be in what optimum set of switches on or off? And what most likely explains i5user's experience?

Last edited:
checking for wifi connectiom based on the location is an interesting concept

👍

My battery usage today.
ydyby7yn.jpg

checking for wifi connectiom based on the location is an interesting concept

👍

It's not a concept. It is working code that has been in use for several years.

BTW the rules apply to Android as well. The only major difference is Android can be easily hacked to set the time frame for each WiFi sweep when looking for open hotspots. Back when I was doing my own ROM builds I would set the sweep time to 180 seconds for the Droid A855.

It seems like talking on the phone is getting outdated

People prefer to text or facebook each other more and more

Yeah it's easier to text majority of the time unless I'm driving then I call

It seems like talking on the phone is getting outdated

People prefer to text or facebook each other more and more
Yes, indeed. This is very much a Generation "I" thing. (Builders-->Boomers-->Gen X-->Millenials-->Generation 'I" [for Internet]). Though I will say it's easier to text a few short things than get caught on a conversation that might take up more of your day. So this invention of texting has become an "introvert's" dream tool. Talking without have to talk. ;)

Yes, indeed. This is very much a Generation "I" thing. (Builders-->Boomers-->Gen X-->Millenials-->Generation 'I" [for Internet]). Though I will say it's easier to text a few short things than get caught on a conversation that might take up more of your day. So this invention of texting has become an "introvert's" dream tool. Talking without have to talk. ;)

I know women don't even want to talk on the phone for 5 mins !! But they text paragraphs of crap that would take 2 min of just a and b convo lol

How's this battery life. It's a lot of plants vs zombies, Facebook, ruzzle, and texting. Oh plus this forum lol

Attachments

• $image-3105049783.jpg
    $image-3105049783.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 388
Status
Not open for further replies.