What's new

Battery Life

WhelanUK

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

I've just upgraded to the 5 after having the 4 and the battery life seems to be appalling. I sent 3 texts as soon as I unplugged it this morning and the battery went down 2%, I made a 10 minute call yesterday and it went down 8% during the call. I charged the phone for 10 hours when I first got it. Is this battery life normal as I'm sure it wasn't this bad with my 4. In fact just writing this its gone down 3%. Before anyone suggests I always close all my apps when I'm done. I know these are big jumps but when I'm on my phone several times a day it means the battery goes very quick and I normally have to give it a quick top up charge when I finish work just so it lasts the evening.

You should have keep you 4 I have the 4S and the battery life SUCKS I am seriously thinking of going back to Iphone 4 it has a better battery.I sold minds and sorry I got the 4S I'm not even going to mess with the 5 until about a year from now

WhelanUK said:
Good Afternoon All,

I've just upgraded to the 5 after having the 4 and the battery life seems to be appalling. I sent 3 texts as soon as I unplugged it this morning and the battery went down 2%, I made a 10 minute call yesterday and it went down 8% during the call. I charged the phone for 10 hours when I first got it. Is this battery life normal as I'm sure it wasn't this bad with my 4. In fact just writing this its gone down 3%. Before anyone suggests I always close all my apps when I'm done. I know these are big jumps but when I'm on my phone several times a day it means the battery goes very quick and I normally have to give it a quick top up charge when I finish work just so it lasts the evening.

I have the same issue with m 4s but as soon as you take off the charger cut the phone off and wait a few seconds and cut back on and your battery will go back up to 99-100%. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net

Yeah because batteries get better after a year of sitting

I have had mine about a week now and the battery is just good enough for one day. One day might look like this- bluetoth on all day, wifi on for two hours, pandora with many thumbs up or downs for about three hours per day, 2 hours of phone usage, forty emails, ten to fifteen google searches, 20 minutes of euchre, twenty minutes of online news, twenty text messages, and for the forseeable future alot of screen time up for arranging things and getting my settings where I want them. I usually unplug at 6:45 am and plug in at 11:30 and the battery is between 10-35% when I finish the day. Hope this is helpful for you.

The 4 has the best battery. The 4S was worse. I'm finding the 5 slightly better than the 4S--I'm very consistent in my daily usage. You can try this: Unless you reeeaaaally need your phone first thing in the day--take your phone off the charger and turn it off for a little while. Or even check emails, etc. real quick THEN turn it off for awhile. I starting doing this for my 30 minute drive into work (at 5:30 in the am), or sometimes for an hour or so. The battery reeeaaallly seems to like this and it lasts me all day with moderate use. If I leave it on after charging it drains faster with no more use and only an additional hour or so with standby.

I'm a truck driver use phone all day for loads calling wife emails video chat I charge my 4s up to 3 times a day worst battery in a phone I have ever had but I do use if for everything seeing its my only device for Internet and everything I find my self now just leven it pluged in most of the time now

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I have had mine about a week now and the battery is just good enough for one day. One day might look like this- bluetoth on all day, wifi on for two hours, pandora with many thumbs up or downs for about three hours per day, 2 hours of phone usage, forty emails, ten to fifteen google searches, 20 minutes of euchre, twenty minutes of online news, twenty text messages, and for the forseeable future alot of screen time up for arranging things and getting my settings where I want them. I usually unplug at 6:45 am and plug in at 11:30 and the battery is between 10-35% when I finish the day. Hope this is helpful for you.

I have found that my 5 also last the entire day and I do just about the same usage and in about the same time frame.

On Sunday I had unplugged from the charger at 8:00am and had to travel home. from when I got home at 11:30 I used the phone non-stop all day from text, face time, calls, downloading apps, surfing the web, emails, playing games, etc. at 10:00pm it was still at 25%. I find this AMAZING! Not to sure why some people seem to be having really short battery life? I also never turn off Bluetooth or wifi.

I too am pretty constant with my phone use. It's the same use every day, that's how I've noticed the big difference. This is without wifi or Bluetooth being on. I used it early for navigation and the % was almost going down by the minute. I wish there was an app that would test your battery usage and compare it against others.

I am an avid iphone user. I've even tried going to the s3 thinking surely there was something better out. Now that I have my 5 and coming from the 4s, I've got to say that I don't think the battery is bad at all. In fact, I believe it to be better than my 4s. All that with 4lte. I'm pretty solid in terms of use, however I don't use Pandora. I do have 2 different email accounts going. One is personal email and the other is work. My work account gets about 50-75 emails a day directed towards me. I just don't get the notification, I open the email and respond as necessary.

I also do the google searches, etc. etc. I've yet to run the battery past 10%. Towards 8pm-9:30pm I get down int he 25-35% range though.

Again, I'm very happy.

Try rebooting your phone. Also let the phone get down to 5% and then put a solid 6hr charge on it. Do that a couple times and see if it changes anything.

NOW IF APPLE WOULD JUST MAKE THE KEYBOARD ACT CORRECTLY...

I upgraded from the 4 as well and the battery life was one of the first things I noticed. I'm not a heavy user but by the end of the day it's around 30% where as my 4 would still be about 60%. I turned off wifi, bluetooth, only have 3 notifications turned on, Mail is set to grab every 30 minutes and I make sure to kill apps running in the background. Just checking email, FaceBook and twitter (about 8 minutes) will typically drop it about 3%. I'm assuming it has to do with the LTE since it's a faster network (I do have it in my area), hope it starts getting better but I doubt it.

Common since tells me!! A brand new phone with a brand new battery that's supposedly more efficient, should out perform an older phone with an older battery that's supposedly less efficient!! If its even close, I would say Apple has some battery efficiency issues on there hands! I am on the fence, deciding if I really want to leap from the 4S to the 5!! And I appreciate all the feedback on this Forum that will greatly influence my decision!!

Had my ip5 since Friday battery sucked first few days but after a few charges its been getting better, it used to say 100 then drop soon as I did anything on phone, now it starting too stay longer once unplugged.. My advise give it sometime too do whatever it does. Today I went all day at work then some were as on Sunday it was dead by 1pm ..

My battery life is amazing. So far the phone has been on standy for 9 hours, used for about 1.5 hours and it's still showing 93%. I can easily leave my iPhone 5 a couple of days between charges.

On Monday, with heavy use (about seven hours) and one day seven hours standby, it still had 45% in it. Compared to my Android phone, which requires charging every twelve hours due to the use I put it through, the iPhone 5 battery is superb.

Initially I was shocked, the phone practically drained in 8 hours. However. I rebooted, turned off LTE, turned off uneeded location services and push stuff and now im looking at about 60% at 1600 after the phones been on since 0600. Thats with dabbles on Twitter, texts phone calls. So all in all pretty much what id expect from a smartphone.