What's new

Horrible battery life

zphone said:
Seems unusual. Was it at 100% when you took it off?
Then, from 7am to 12:30 is about 5+ hours so you could discharge any phone to 30% in that time with very heavy use so to tell I would really have to know what you mean by short calls and how many hours of web? What kinds of games?
Also how many emails do you receive?

Also turn your brightness down from 100% to around 60%. It's plenty bright for most uses. Just because it can go that bright does not mean that is what should be done. I mean you don't drive with your pedal to the metal all the time. You don't listen to music cranked to 100. You don't watch tv at 100% brightness and contrast. Yet when you tell people that turning their phone brightness to 100 is wrong they seem to take offense at this. dde0f

Agree. I only have my brightness at around 40%. Always under 50%. That saves juice. A lot. Also his 5 should charge in much less time then 5 hours to what he's described. That's troublesome. Even w heavy usage. iPhones at known for their fast charging times. I've always loved how fast they charge. I'd recommend he charges it one more time without using the phone at all. Just to get a more accurate reading on if he's got a defective device. Or if it was just a freak occurrence by usage etc.

Honestly my brightness is low. Was the first thing I did after getting the phone. Calls were 20 minutes at best. Used the web off and on all day between playing jet pack joyride and bejeweled blitz. I've got gmail set up as an exchange account and Facebook so maybe my push settings are killing the battery? It's down to 19% now so I'm watching it die lol. Good thing I brought my charger to work

iRich said:
Well I never got a chance to charge the phone to 100% and drain it out since i got it. I'll try that out.

The funny thing is I think this does have to do with battery readings being accurate or not, because when ever I hit 20% to get to 10% it takes at least 30 minutes of use.

Also If I leave my phone charging over night, lets say i go to sleep at 11PM leaving it charging. Possibly at 2AM it's 100% and still leaving it charging till 7AM. Will this hurt the battery life in any way?

You're fine to leave it in on the charger over night well into the morning. I believe the phone does a trickle charge ( I can't remember the term) once it's at 100 to keep it at 100. It charges it every so often again while on the charger. It'll be fine. I don't recommend leaving the charger on it for days or anything like that. Just get that thing up to 100. And regardless of what hookbill says. Keep at 100 for a little bit. iPhones show some innaccuracies in showing its fully charged when its actually not. THAT is why I stated keep it at 100 for 10-15 mins extra.

And regardless of what hookbill says. Keep at 100 for a little bit. iPhones show some innaccuracies in showing its fully charged when its actually not. THAT is why I stated keep it at 100 for 10-15 mins extra.

Primetime, I've had quite a bit of experience with lithium batteries. Once they fully charge they stop charging. Leaving it on 10-15 minutes isn't going to make a dimes worth of difference.

I'm sure you are aware that if you take the phone off the charger and just let it sit there without turning it on it will lose power. And when you keep it plugged it if it looses power, absolutely it starts charging again.

You are correct, lithium has been with us for some time that's why I'm a bit surprised about some of what you say. The only real reason you want to fully discharge a lithium battery is to extend the overall life of the battery, not to make a charge last longer. If you're anything like me you have a phone for a year so that's never an issue.

That is my personal experience and knowledge I've obtained from being a member in Blackberry Forums and Android Forums over the past 4 years. Doing any of the suggestions you give do not harm the battery by any means, I'm just saying as far as added continuous power out of a charge, I don't agree.

hookbill said:
Primetime, I've had quite a bit of experience with lithium batteries. Once they fully charge they stop charging. Leaving it on 10-15 minutes isn't going to make a dimes worth of difference.

I'm sure you are aware that if you take the phone off the charger and just let it sit there without turning it on it will lose power. And when you keep it plugged it if it looses power, absolutely it starts charging again.

You are correct, lithium has been with us for some time that's why I'm a bit surprised about some of what you say. The only real reason you want to fully discharge a lithium battery is to extend the overall life of the battery, not to make a charge last longer. If you're anything like me you have a phone for a year so that's never an issue.

That is my personal experience and knowledge I've obtained from being a member in Blackberry Forums and Android Forums over the past 4 years. Doing any of the suggestions you give do not harm the battery by any means, I'm just saying as far as added continuous power out of a charge, I don't agree.

I respect your statements certainly. It seems we have varying experiences with our smart phones. I've had 5 iPhones. And this method I've been using has always proven better then semi charging and unplugging before its at 100 as the story goes. I've never had android though but many ppl who are close to me use android. It seems their battery issues are much worse then ours. My final advice/thoughts for the original poster, is to try it my way and/or your way. Let him decide which method is more efficient for him..

If the battery lasts longer than 24 hours I'm happy. I have to sleep every 24 hours and I can't answer the phone in my sleep, so I may as well charge it while I'm sleeping :)

I respect your statements certainly. It seems we have varying experiences with our smart phones. I've had 5 iPhones. And this method I've been using has always proven better then semi charging and unplugging before its at 100 as the story goes. I've never had android though but many ppl who are close to me use android. It seems their battery issues are much worse then ours. My final advice/thoughts for the original poster, is to try it my way and/or your way. Let him decide which method is more efficient for him..

I am so use to constantly having to charge my battery every 8 hours I really haven't put anything to the test in regards to the iPhone. I've had it off the charger for 2 hours now and the battery charging app I have says I have 24 hours left of time. If this is accurate I find it amazing. Every smart phone I've ever had battery usage got worst. I use to get almost 24 hours off a Blackberry Storm, if you remember those things.

Anyway as I said your methods certainly won't hurt anything. And this is my first iPhone so I don't know how long a charge last.

hookbill said:
I am so use to constantly having to charge my battery every 8 hours I really haven't put anything to the test in regards to the iPhone. I've had it off the charger for 2 hours now and the battery charging app I have says I have 24 hours left of time. If this is accurate I find it amazing. Every smart phone I've ever had battery usage got worst. I use to get almost 24 hours off a Blackberry Storm, if you remember those things.

Anyway as I said your methods certainly won't hurt anything. And this is my first iPhone so I don't know how long a charge last.

From my experience with iPhones the battery life has done a good job at staying consistent. (If a new software update doesn't add drain to it, like iOS 5 did on iPhone 4) Meaning, the battery life over time never really got worse. It may have gotten marginally worse. But nothing to the likes of android based phones where the batteries noticeably got worse over time (months) as people I'm close to have reported. Overall. iPhone batteries do a fantastic job of long life over time (months or even 1-2years) we all know this is all relevant to usage and treatment of the device as well. But on average from an average iPhone user. I'd say they're more then Satisfactory.

We also must remember that the new upgrade, iOS 6, brings new features and people will want to play with those new features. So, the battery life, at first, is going to be lowered a bit due to the user playing with the new features. Give it time and I'm sure it will return to normal.

We also must remember that the new upgrade, iOS 6, brings new features and people will want to play with those new features. So, the battery life, at first, is going to be lowered a bit due to the user playing with the new features. Give it time and I'm sure it will return to normal.

lol, absolutely. Get something new and what do you do? Play with it for 72 hours and say hey, how come the battery is only lasting 12 hours. Excellent point my friend.