What's new

Horrible battery life

iRich

Reaction score
Is it just me or the battery life is horrible?
I mean this is my 4th time charging my phone to about 70-80% through out the day since morning.
It gets really frustrating when I head out with 80% and hours later check to see myself at 60%

Hope

iRich said:
Is it just me or the battery life is horrible?
I mean this is my 4th time charging my phone to about 70-80% through out the day since morning.
It gets really frustrating when I head out with 80% and hours later check to see myself at 60%

Hope

how heavy are you using it

In my experience, most of the time if the battery is draining faster than you think it should, it is due to push notifications. Go in and turn them off except for the ones that you must have. Note that you must turn off notification center ad well as turning off everything else (no alerts, no badges, etc). See if that helps it. Also, it seems that I've had another issue with push notifications since they were first introduced: it seems they get hung or something and continue to drain the battery. In order to release it, I have to force quit all the apps and reboot the phone. That seems to work for awhile, but it usually comes back (words with friends and Skype have this issue for sure. Others do too as I think it's an apple problem and not necessarily an app problem).
One other thing that seemed to drain the battery when the 4 or 4s came out is the time zone location service (settings...privacy...location services...system services). Turning that off helps if your location arrow comes on and stays on a lot. Good luck!

First off.. You need to be charging the thing all the way to 100% and on 100% staying on the charger for at least 10-15 mins. And before u do this, you need to drain the phone to almost completely dead. Less then 5%. Then do a full charge with no unplugging until after you've been at 100% for awhile. Then unplug the phone and use as normal. You'll notice a massive difference. U can't be semi charging the phone and using it then semi charging it again to add more. You need to do a full clean charge. And try to practice this as often as possible. Avoiding semi charging.

Primetime is correct, what you are doing is not giving the battery software a way to calculate how full it actually is and it will give you very wild and misleading readings.

You have to understand how modern batteries work to know why this is so, but suffice it to say that the charge of a battery cannot be read directly, it's only an estimate that is provided by the software. You have to charge to 100% at least once a month and discharge to less than 10% to keep the estimates realistic.
However with lithium batteries, avoid discharging completely, it's better to keep it topped up than to leave it sitting for months at a very low charge level. I just plug in my phone at night, and sometimes it does get down to 20% in a busy day.

Worst thing you can do to hurt the overall life of the battery is to charge almost all the way all the time. I just pulled mine off the charger that was charging all night and have been surfing the web for the past 45 minutes. Listening to music and just overall fooling around on my new jewel an I have 94% right now. Better than my 4S so far. I'd be around 85% right now.

Maybe iPhone5 sacrifices its battery because of its slim size and shape
On the contrary... the iPhone 5 uses a 3.8V - 5.45Wh - 1440mAh battery while the 4S uses a 3.7V - 5.3Wh - 1432mAh battery. So, there's absolutely no sacrafice in battery due to the iPhone 5's "slim size and shape."

I started at 6:00am this morning with a full charge overnight. Five hours later I was at 50% using the personal Hot Spot (Verizon), surfing, emails, text etc. I was mostly on 3G with a short run on a weak 4G. By the way, I picked up my 5 last night at 8:30pm from a local Verizon Store. No pre-order, no waiting in line. I'm convinced Apple throttles the supply early in every release to build the hype.

Bob

First off.. You need to be charging the thing all the way to 100% and on 100% staying on the charger for at least 10-15 mins. And before u do this, you need to drain the phone to almost completely dead. Less then 5%. Then do a full charge with no unplugging until after you've been at 100% for awhile. Then unplug the phone and use as normal. You'll notice a massive difference. U can't be semi charging the phone and using it then semi charging it again to add more. You need to do a full clean charge. And try to practice this as often as possible. Avoiding semi charging.

No, you don't need to charge it to 100%. This is a lithium battery. You can use it anytime.

Now I personally prefer to charge it to 100% But leaving it on 15-20 minutes extra does absolutely nothing for it.

Just about all the advise you gave, about semi charging and draining it until it's dead is dead wrong. Nicad batteries you would do all that with. Not Lithium.

Some people, Apple is one of them recommend draining the battery once a month or 3 months completely. But that's it.

I'm not trying to pick on you Primetime really, but your info needs a little updating. That's all.

You can charge it whenever you feel it and you do not have to wait until it gets too low. Me personally, I think 20% is low enough but you can go lower if necessary.

How long does this phone take to fully charge? I charged for maybe 5 hours over night took it off 7 am and now at 12:30 I'm at 26%. Mostly web text few short calls and couple games. Is this normal battery life? I'm new to apple from Android this is my first iphone.

How long does this phone take to fully charge? I charged for maybe 5 hours over night took it off 7 am and now at 12:30 I'm at 26%. Mostly web text few short calls and couple games. Is this normal battery life? I'm new to apple from Android this is my first iphone.

I purchased an app called 360 battery. I'm new from android too, I would suggest you give it a try. There are a lot of helpful suggestions that come with it.

Hookbill. Since he's on an iPhone 5. I suspected he never fully charged the battery. So I should clarify. He Should drain it then charge it fully for the first time. And all my iPhones have experienced much better battery life by using the drain method and then full charge. I've done the semi charging and it's no where near as effective or efficient. I speak from experience obviously. Lithium ion batteries have been around forever. That's nothing new. And feel free to "pick" on whoever. It's not a concern to me. I'm just trying to help this person get the most out of their 5. It is correct though he doesn't have to fully drain as often as possible. I've done it, unintentionally. Phone just used up all its juice. And had to charge it obviously. My experience with these Devices shows much better battery life by the way I describe to charge it. It's that simple. I've done it both ways.

Dyvurcz said:

Seems unusual. Was it at 100% when you took it off?
Then, from 7am to 12:30 is about 5+ hours so you could discharge any phone to 30% in that time with very heavy use so to tell I would really have to know what you mean by short calls and how many hours of web? What kinds of games?
Also how many emails do you receive?

Also turn your brightness down from 100% to around 60%. It's plenty bright for most uses. Just because it can go that bright does not mean that is what should be done. I mean you don't drive with your pedal to the metal all the time. You don't listen to music cranked to 100. You don't watch tv at 100% brightness and contrast. Yet when you tell people that turning their phone brightness to 100 is wrong they seem to take offense at this. :-/

Last edited:
Well I never got a chance to charge the phone to 100% and drain it out since i got it. I'll try that out.

The funny thing is I think this does have to do with battery readings being accurate or not, because when ever I hit 20% to get to 10% it takes at least 30 minutes of use.

Also If I leave my phone charging over night, lets say i go to sleep at 11PM leaving it charging. Possibly at 2AM it's 100% and still leaving it charging till 7AM. Will this hurt the battery life in any way?