What's new

how to "prepare" my iphone before jailbreaking??

Yes you will lose everything. Backup first and you won't. It's simple as that.

I know to backup as I did the jb before. I wasn't sure about a backup of all the jb stuff. Wasn't sure if that got saved with a normal backup. This will be the first time i update while already on a jb.

Buy pkgbackup from Cydia. It'll back up everything on your device, literally everything. Then extract the back up file before restoring and restore it after rejailbreaking and reinstall pkgbackup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Good info, guys. I'm an experienced Android-rooter, and I JB'd my iPad 2, though I'm chillin at 6.0.1 with my iPhone 5.

So I'm SOL with blobs for 6.0.1. When I get home tonight, I'll backup, update to 6.1, then install TinyUmbrella and save my blobs just in case.

What about APTickets? Do I need to save those? If I ever need to downgrade? I thought that's what blobs were for...I'm just trying to get an initial grasp on when I will need each.

APTickets are automatically stored on your device. The only working APTickets are those from devices that are restored through iTunes. OTA updated iOS's will not have working APTickets

APTickets are automatically stored on your device. The only working APTickets are those from devices that are restored through iTunes. OTA updated iOS's will not have working APTickets

"Restore through iTunes"...does this include updated through iTunes? Or are those terms interchangeable? (I consider restore with a wipe & install, and update simply and install over existing OS -- yeah, I'm a PC guy)

Regardless of the above, should APTickets be saves in the same sense as blobs?

For pictures contacts and all that bunch of rubbish you must have a backup either plugged into iTunes or over iCloud so you don't lose anything over the upgrade.

Many thanks,
Software

Restoring means putting a fresh copy of iOS on a device, no matter if it's an upgrade or downgrade or rerestore. APTickets are saved on your device automatically when you restore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

I have a question..

You should still save your blobs even tho your jailbroken before you update to 6.1??

That... absolutely made no sense to be honest. You should always save your blobs. You can only save blobs when the signing window for the iOS is open. So if your device is on iOS 5.1.1, you can still save blobs for iOS 6.1.