What's new

Help build how to thread: Activate, Jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.1

Hi again guys,

I can now confirm that the AT&T card that comes with the phone, when you buy it without contract from an Apple Store, seems to be blank.

I connected it to a newly installed iTunes 10, and it did'nt prompt me for any contract selection for AT&T. No AT&T stuff at all.

So I completed the registerprocess and added the new iphone 4 to my existing Apple Account (used on my old phone aswell). After completing the phone setup afterwards, the phone home screen was unlocked. I can now use the iOS 4.1 on the phone, but can of course don't use the call function yet, since my new microsimcard have not arrived yet. I wonder how it will react, when I insert the new microsimcard. It's hooked up to my existing contract with a danish provider. So I wonder if I need a unlock to use it, or I will be able to actually call someone. :D I actually thought that it would not be possible to use the iOS 4.1 before I had the jailbreak, but it seems to work fine. Can anyone explain this?

Hmm, now some hours has past and it seems that the phone is not activated. I can use the iOS, but the message "Awaiting Activation. This might take some time." appears sometimes. I googled it, and it seems that most people just say "be patient". Can I expect the phone to just activate suddenly? Or can I myself do something to hurry up the activation? And finally, how will I know that it activated?

What sim are you trying to activate with? The blank one?

Yeah, but im not a 100% sure that the one that was in the phone, when i got it, actually is blank. But it worked fine to register the phone and open the homescreen, so I can use the iOS. But as of yet, it dosent seem to activate the phone. The message described earlier still appears.

But I have bought a blank sim card in Best Buy, and cut it down to a microsim size.

You think the phone can ge activated with that instead, and how can i do it? :)

Last edited:
What service are you planning on using? I don't think it will activate until it's a sim that has service.

What service are you planning on using? I don't think it will activate until it's a sim that has service.

Im planning on using my regular danish provider. Im currently awaiting the microsimcard from them. So i'll try again there. :) Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well guys,

Now I got the new microsim card from my danish provider. And it seems I cant do anything with the card. The phone just say "Invalid sim" or "No Service" after typing in the pin code.

Does this mean, that I have to jailbreak and unlock the phone, and THEN it can be activated or what? :)

Well guys,

Now I got the new microsim card from my danish provider. And it seems I cant do anything with the card. The phone just say "Invalid sim" or "No Service" after typing in the pin code.

Does this mean, that I have to jailbreak and unlock the phone, and THEN it can be activated or what? :)

my brother seemed to have a similar problem with his factory unlocked iphone 4 when he put a contract one that has a pin, im sure you have tried but did you put it in itunes? when my brother did that it fixed the problem and unlocked, but since you need jailbreak and unlock it might nto be so simple for you, your phone will have to stay locked and on that screen until there is a jailbreak for the firmware your on if its 4.0.2 or 4.1 which i am guessing its one of the two, in that case its a waiting game for you now for new jb and unlock

Well guys,

my brother seemed to have a similar problem with his factory unlocked iphone 4 when he put a contract one that has a pin, im sure you have tried but did you put it in itunes? when my brother did that it fixed the problem and unlocked, but since you need jailbreak and unlock it might nto be so simple for you, your phone will have to stay locked and on that screen until there is a jailbreak for the firmware your on if its 4.0.2 or 4.1 which i am guessing its one of the two, in that case its a waiting game for you now for new jb and unlock

Now I have tried that aswell, but it didnt help. It seems that the only way for even activating the phone, is to wait for the jailbreak and unlock.

Well guys,

Now I have tried that aswell, but it didnt help. It seems that the only way for even activating the phone, is to wait for the jailbreak and unlock.

yes it is... because you bought a locked phone

Pal, you're so wise. XD

For another time, where did you buy your phone?

What I mean, is that im from Denmark, so I need to know where I can buy my next iphone factory unlocked, like you.

Pal, you're so wise. XD

For another time, where did you buy your phone?

What I mean, is that im from Denmark, so I need to know where I can buy my next iphone factory unlocked, like you.

thanks i think :) if its locked it will stat on emergency calls only unless you jb it and then unlock.

lots of places sell it unlocked some more expensive then others, i dont know every where that sells it unlocked but i know a few places,

Greece - not sure about the price
England - price 499 - 599
Cyprus 1300 euros - 32GB
Canada - price ?
italy price ?
play.com usually have unlocked iphones not sure on price though

Where to Buy iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked | iPhone 4 has a list of more countries that have it sim free.

I found a blog where he explains a tutorial on how to downgrade firmware 4.1 to the lowest, 4.0.2 or 4.0.1

see you too: blackra1n.biz/2010/09/downgrade-ios-4-1-to-4-0-2-or-4-0-1

:rolleyes: :cool:

I found a blog where he explains a tutorial on how to downgrade firmware 4.1 to the lowest, 4.0.2 or 4.0.1

see you too: blackra1n.biz/2010/09/downgrade-ios-4-1-to-4-0-2-or-4-0-1

:rolleyes: :cool:

Only if you have your blobs saved from 4.0.1 does it work tho.. :)

iDane: Did you solve your problem? I have the exact same problem as you. Back in Denmark with the iPhone with no service plan, the AT&T card is included but I can't activate.

What to do?

iDane: Did you solve your problem? I have the exact same problem as you. Back in Denmark with the iPhone with no service plan, the AT&T card is included but I can't activate.

What to do?

Hi HofmanDenmark

The current status is like alot of other people. :) Im awaiting the jailbreak (for firmware v. 4.1.) and the unlock (for baseband v. 02.10.04).

I hope that once the unlock is installed and my simcard will get connection to a mobile network, the phone will activate. I'll update this thread as it goes.

Concerning the jailbreak and unlock, I read on the official jb thread on this forum, and on twitter that it should be ready real soon. Hopefully the unlock will be done soon aswell.

All we can hope for is the dev-heroes that makes the jb and unlock keep ignoring those imbeciles who give them a hard time, for their own lack of patience. The jailbreakers and unlockers is doing great and much appreciated work, and we're lucky that they even bother. Some people should remember that.