What's new

Help build how to thread: Activate, Jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.1

iDane

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

As I have talked with Saku about I have a request I hope to have your help with.

As alot of other people, I have bought an iPhone 4 new "out of the box" with iOS 4.0.2. But I have come to peace with the fact that I just have to wait for the jailbreak and unlock for 4.1.

But it could be nice to start out with a complete guide for the entire process, to be absolutely clear on what I, and all others in the same situation, have to do to go from brand new "out of the box" iPhone 4 iOS 4.0.2. to Activated, Simcard-modified (if necessary), Jailbreaked and Unlocked iPhone 4 ready for use.

So if I start out on what I THINK I know about this, I really hope that you guys will add the remaining information on what we know for a fact will be a part of the process, when the jailbreak and unlock for 4.1 is ready:

Draft for complete jailbreak guide:
Prerequisite: A new iPhone bought from a Apple Store in the US without a AT&T contract, installed with iOS 4.0.2. and wrapped in the box.

Step 1:
Unwrap the iPhone 4.

Step 2:
Install latest iTunes from Apple.

Step 3:
Activate the iPhone 4 in iTunes.
> How is this done?

Step 4:
Upgrade the iPhone 4 from iOS 4.0.2. to 4.1.
> How is this done?

Step 5:
Jailbreak the iPhone 4.
> Awaiting the jailbreak for 4.1.

Step 6:
Unlock the iPhone 4.
> Awaiting the unlock for 4.1.

Is anything missing and is the process sequence right?

Any inputs would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 4:
Upgrade the iPhone 4 from iOS 4.0.2. to 4.1.
> How is this done?

When your phone is plugged in (use the USB cable supplied) to the computer, iTunes will open and then say found new firmware version 4.1. Click the download and update button. Then rest your phone on the side, do not touch it, do no even look at it or you will ruin the download and break your iPhone.

I hope that helps.

Hi again and thanks for the replies so far.

Jane55 and anyone else:
This guide should be for the people (like me) who bought the iphone 4 "out of the box" with 4.0.2 from an apple store and without a at&t contract. Therefore there has been some confusion on how to activate it in Denmark, Spain etc. In the activation section of this guide, it should therefore be possible to find how to activate the phone when you don't have or will use AT&T. Is the activation process really just to connect the phone to iTunes, no matter where in the world you connect, and not using AT&T? If it is, then hurray, a simple step in thd guide. :) But if anyone know of any obsticals for activation when bringing a iphone 4 home from the US, please explain how to get by them. :) By obsticals i mean, some AT&T forced policy, registering etc. which is not possible to fill out, when from Europe and have nothing to do with AT&T.

Paliometooxo:
What do you mean exactly? :)

Roy_Drage:
Thanks! Is there any prerequisite to have iTunes agknowledge the iPhone and install the update, other than the ones described in Step 1 to 3? Anything to remember?

Again thanks for the replies so far, guys! Keep'em coming! :)

I still can't believe people buy these phones when they might not be able to use them.

To activate you plug it in to your pc / mac and open iTunes. That's it. If you are not using an official carrier you will need to wait for the 4.1 jailbreak.

I will be adding a guide to my jailbreak sticky thread once the JB has been released.

I still can't believe people buy these phones when they might not be able to use them.

To activate you plug it in to your pc / mac and open iTunes. That's it. If you are not using an official carrier you will need to wait for the 4.1 jailbreak.

I will be adding a guide to my jailbreak sticky thread once the JB has been released.

Here in the us if you buy from AT&T it's not that easy. You havetoo have a valid phone number and last 4 of your social security number to activate.

Chazzw: Do you mean that you're to involve an activation guide? Can you post a link here for me? This thread might be unnecessary if you have a complete guide.

DannyBoy: I bought my iPhone 4 in the US in an Apple Store without AT&T contract, but it still contains a AT&T microsimcard in it. Does this mean that the microsimcard is blank and all I do to activate it and make it ready for update and jailbreak, is to plug it in to iTunes? No AT&T bull?

they have great trust in the jailbreak community and would rather save some money then buy it sim free that costs lots of cash

Hi again and thanks for the replies so far.

Jane55 and anyone else:
This guide should be for the people (like me) who bought the iphone 4 "out of the box" with 4.0.2 from an apple store and without a at&t contract. Therefore there has been some confusion on how to activate it in Denmark, Spain etc. In the activation section of this guide, it should therefore be possible to find how to activate the phone when you don't have or will use AT&T. Is the activation process really just to connect the phone to iTunes, no matter where in the world you connect, and not using AT&T? If it is, then hurray, a simple step in thd guide. :) But if anyone know of any obsticals for activation when bringing a iphone 4 home from the US, please explain how to get by them. :) By obsticals i mean, some AT&T forced policy, registering etc. which is not possible to fill out, when from Europe and have nothing to do with AT&T.

Paliometooxo:
What do you mean exactly? :)

Roy_Drage:
Thanks! Is there any prerequisite to have iTunes agknowledge the iPhone and install the update, other than the ones described in Step 1 to 3? Anything to remember?

Again thanks for the replies so far, guys! Keep'em coming! :)

well the dev team found a hardware level jailbreak so pretty soon we will see a jailbreak for the 4.1 firmware that will continue to work through every firmware apple release until they release new hardware.

sites like www.iclarified.com have great tutorials but once you jailbreak a few times you get the hang of it and can do it easily all the time, its pretty much the same each time to jailbreak.

but why do you buy it locked to att when you plan to use it in denmark? the eu has so many countries where its sim free now, or is it to save some cash? because we all know sim free phones are like 600 euros plus to buy. and for roughly the same price you can buy it locked in the eu any way, you could get it locked to a carrier then use the pay as you go sim and it would work. either way it was worse off for you getting it from america.

Last edited:
Palio: exactly right on the reason why to buy even though not sure if it can be used. And this actually also answers your other question: When buying in denmark the phone itself is cheap enough, but you buy it with a contract for 6 months, which in the end costs from 830$ and up. Also, you have to be on a list to get it, because DK is always in the second wave from Apple. So not only you have to wait for at least 6 months more than the US but it also cost quite a bit. I already have a good deal with a company, and just need the phone. If it, as you say, possible to buy it simfree in other eu countries, I have to say thats it's just my lack of investigation that I did'nt buy it there. I have always just bought my iPhones from the US and then jailbreak. So maybe this time, it was just because "thats what I always do". :)

But I did NOT buy it with a contract with AT&T. But there's still a AT&T microsimcard in the iPhone. I have not connected the phone to iTunes yet, because I want to be sure on the process from activation to unlock, why I made this thread. So right now my question is: Do you know if the microsimcard that comes with the phone is a blank, since the phone is bought without a contract, and I can just connect the phone to iTunes and activate and upgrade it without any AT&T crap? :)

Palio: exactly right on the reason why to buy even though not sure if it can be used. And this actually also answers your other question: When buying in denmark the phone itself is cheap enough, but you buy it with a contract for 6 months, which in the end costs from 830$ and up. Also, you have to be on a list to get it, because DK is always in the second wave from Apple. So not only you have to wait for at least 6 months more than the US but it also cost quite a bit. I already have a good deal with a company, and just need the phone. If it, as you say, possible to buy it simfree in other eu countries, I have to say thats it's just my lack of investigation that I did'nt buy it there. I have always just bought my iPhones from the US and then jailbreak. So maybe this time, it was just because "thats what I always do". :)

But I did NOT buy it with a contract with AT&T. But there's still a AT&T microsimcard in the iPhone. I have not connected the phone to iTunes yet, because I want to be sure on the process from activation to unlock, why I made this thread. So right now my question is: Do you know if the microsimcard that comes with the phone is a blank, since the phone is bought without a contract, and I can just connect the phone to iTunes and activate and upgrade it without any AT&T crap? :)

it would of been much less hassle to just buy it factory unlocked from another country in the eu at least that way you would of been able to use it with any sim :)

Well, now I know. :)

Do you have a answer for my activation question?

Well, now I know. :)

Do you have a answer for my activation question?

well they do come blank i think but then you would have to ring att and activate it or do it online and sort out a contract payment, maybe you can get a pay as you go att card and it will let you activate it that way also

Okay. I'll try to connect it to iTunes, activate and upgrade to 4.1 if I can. Im gonna let you know how it reacts on the activation.

Okay. I'll try to connect it to iTunes, activate and upgrade to 4.1 if I can. Im gonna let you know how it reacts on the activation.

If this does not work for you, you can buy a blank micro sim card at best buy for 30 bucks. Just put it in and connect to itunes and it will automatically activate your iphone.

If this does not work for you, you can buy a blank micro sim card at best buy for 30 bucks. Just put it in and connect to itunes and it will automatically activate your iphone.

Pakalolo: thanks alot! Thats just what I was looking for. A good specific answer on this. :) I just have 2 more days in the US so, i will go by a Best
Buy. Thanks.