What's new

Help build how to thread: Activate, Jailbreak and unlock iOS 4.1

Also if you already have 4.0 keep it so you can unlock. If you upgrade to 4.1 then its a waiting game to get the unlock.

Also if you already have 4.0 keep it so you can unlock. If you upgrade to 4.1 then its a waiting game to get the unlock.

Yeah, my phone came with 4.0.2 so it a waiting game no matter what. Im going to activate the phone with the card from best buy, upgrade it to 4.1 and then just wait for the good guys to finish the jailbreak. :)

this is exactly the reason why i never buy locked iphones, i hate the waiting game ;p

this is exactly the reason why i never buy locked iphones, i hate the waiting game ;p

C'mon. Everybody loves a waiting game. :p he he.

Another question. When I have activated the phone with the blank simcard, does it matter when I insert the simcard from my provider? What I mean is, does it make a difference which simcard is in the phone during the upgrade, jailbreak and unlock process?

Another question. When I have activated the phone with the blank simcard, does it matter when I insert the simcard from my provider? What I mean is, does it make a difference which simcard is in the phone during the upgrade, jailbreak and unlock process?

as far as i know you leave the sim in until its done then put in any, but it could be different now i havent used unlock since the iphone of 2007.

iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials has great tutorials and will tell you detailed how tos and if you need to keep the sim in or not or if it even makes a difference once its activated

I really love this thread because this is exactly what I need. Im in the same situation: bought an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and can't jailbreak / Unlock (which I rely on).

My question is: Both the chronic dev team and the dev team told us not to update on FW 4.1 . But would it make a difference if we did?
4.0.2 is never going to be Jailbroken, and a JB for 4.1 was already confirmed.

My concern is that apple might change FW 4.1 quickly after the JB was released, so that if I updated my iPhone, as directed by the dev teams, AFTER the JB was released and apple has already changed FW 4.1 quickly (because they could then find out how to make the JB impossiblle, can they do that??) I would end up not being able to Jailbreak and unlock.

Also, is an unlock confirmed? There will definately be a Jailbreak but what im interested in is an unlock.

//edit
oh and I read something about changing basebands which would make the unlock impossible.
Does my baseband change when I upgrade to 4.1?

//edit
oh and I read something about changing basebands which would make the unlock impossible.

Yes your baseband changes.... so dont update if you want to unlock again once the JB is out

//edit

Yes your baseband changes.... so dont update if you want to unlock again once the JB is out

But once the JB is out I will have to update to 4.1 and therefore change my baseband, making the unlock impossible... right?

Or is there a way to update and not change the baseband? Read something about this on the internet, could this be legit? (it directs you to use tiny umbrella, and then hit restore instead of update.)

//edit

But once the JB is out I will have to update to 4.1 and therefore change my baseband, making the unlock impossible... right?

Or is there a way to update and not change the baseband? Read something about this on the internet, could this be legit? (it directs you to use tiny umbrella, and then hit restore instead of update.)

Everything is just assumption at the moment. Nobody has the REAL answer except the dev teams. Be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok hold on... u got me frustrated here!!! u bought an iphone with FW 4.1 already installed and baseband 02.10.04 DOES THAT MEAN THAT EVEN IF IT GOT JAILBROKEN I WONT BE ABLE TO UNLOCK IT FOREVER??? PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ tell me cuz im going overseas in 1 day and if this baseband is unlockable then i'll return it!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!! HELP GUYS!!!!

ok hold on... u got me frustrated here!!! u bought an iphone with FW 4.1 already installed and baseband 02.10.04 DOES THAT MEAN THAT EVEN IF IT GOT JAILBROKEN I WONT BE ABLE TO UNLOCK IT FOREVER??? PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ tell me cuz im going overseas in 1 day and if this baseband is unlockable then i'll return it!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!! HELP GUYS!!!!

More than likely it will be eventually. But it just takes time......

i heared they will not jailbreak this baseband maybe untill OS 5???!!!!!!! or do you think it will be a matter of weeks or a month maybe??

Hi again everybody

Im now home in dk, and have followed the thread. Im glad to see that other find it as relevant as I. :)

Good question on the baseband. I read somewhere that using Tiny Umbrella you can upgrade to 4.1 without changeing the baseband. Can anyone confirm this? And which prerequisites does this require?

For me, im not in a hurry and I trust the Good Guys out there (the ones making jb's and unlocks) to finish the jb for 4.1 and then making a unlock for the updated baseband.

That why im activating and updating the phone tomorrow, using iTunes. This will both update the fw and the bb. Ill let you know how it went. :)

Whatever one works to acitivate it....is the one you will need in the phone...

Hi again guys,

I can now confirm that the AT&T card that comes with the phone, when you buy it without contract from an Apple Store, seems to be blank.

I connected it to a newly installed iTunes 10, and it did'nt prompt me for any contract selection for AT&T. No AT&T stuff at all.

So I completed the registerprocess and added the new iphone 4 to my existing Apple Account (used on my old phone aswell). After completing the phone setup afterwards, the phone home screen was unlocked. I can now use the iOS 4.1 on the phone, but can of course don't use the call function yet, since my new microsimcard have not arrived yet. I wonder how it will react, when I insert the new microsimcard. It's hooked up to my existing contract with a danish provider. So I wonder if I need a unlock to use it, or I will be able to actually call someone. :D I actually thought that it would not be possible to use the iOS 4.1 before I had the jailbreak, but it seems to work fine. Can anyone explain this?