What's new

Best Phone Protective Case

throgs

Reaction score
I am getting a new iPhone, in part, because I am clumsy and dropped my old phone too many times.

I often wear mess shorts, and my old phone (LG) would usually fall out.
Mess shorts do not work well in having a clip.

I can try all I want, but I am clumsy, so I want to know if the iPhone 4 can fit nicely in the pocket of mess shorts and which case will be best to protect it when it falls.

I was considering ballistics or otterbox.

throgs said:
I am getting a new iPhone, in part, because I am clumsy and dropped my old phone too many times.

I often wear mess shorts, and my old phone (LG) would usually fall out.
Mess shorts do not work well in having a clip.

I can try all I want, but I am clumsy, so I want to know if the iPhone 4 can fit nicely in the pocket of mess shorts and which case will be best to protect it when it falls.

I was considering ballistics or otterbox.

Either griffin survivor or otterbox defender.

Moved to appropriate area.

There are so many iPhone cases out there, I am overwhelmed!

I want a case that will do the following:
-Protect the screen from scratches/glare and not bubble
-Allow me to prop the phone on a kick stand
-Not be too bulky so I can fit in the pocket of gym shorts without falling out

-Most important, I am a clumsy idiot who will drop and fumble the phone throughout the 2-3 years I plan to use it. My last phone (LG Camera phone), slipped out of my pocket many times and cracked the LCD.
Therefore I really need a case that will offer outstanding protection from drops.

I was thinking of getting this http://www.goballisticcase.com/produ...sg-series-case but it does not have the kick stand I want so I can set it back.

HELP!

I personally use an Otterbox Commuter case.

Not only does it have a hard shell on the exterior over the lint free silicone, but it covers both the headphone jack, and 32-pin connector for your doc/charging cable with plugs built in.

I also use it in conjunction with ZAGG invisibleSHIELD maximum coverage, cuz the Otterbox commuter isn't fully padded toward the dock/charger, and there is a big hole revealing the apple logo in the back.

ZAGG also covers additional invisibleSHIELDs for as long as u own your phone under their lifetime warranty. Just claim your ZAGG was damaged while protecting your phone, and they will send you another for free, as long as you play the shipping.

I'd definitely recommend The Otterbox commuter for $40, in conjunction with a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for $25.

P.s. the OB Defender is great, and will definitely protect your phone from any typical harm, but is an incredible lint catcher.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net // Twitter: @xristinax

There is about 10 hard cases available, also waterproof cases, do a search on ebay.

I use the Griffin Survivor, great vids on You Tube, one showing the phone in video mode being bowled down a road, also being towed round the block on a string - by a car!

As an engineer i'm often ip ladders or in roofs etc, i also ride motorbikes using ghe phone as satnav and music player so opportunities to drop phones is a hazard.

Both otter (which i have mot used) and griffin boast military dust, sand and water splash protection specs, so going to be a personal preference choice which you choose imho.

both make the sleek iphone4 more ruggedised but also mire bulky, the survivor can be had for £15 on Amazon so not that much dosh to try one :).

Big hidden advantage with either case means it no longer looks like the very desirable iphone, more like s stick checker device, so a lower risk of being attractive to thieves.

Gear4 make a clear acrylic case which covers all but the ports, very good against reasonable drops, less bulky but prone to scratches from keys, pocket change and dust ingress.

The holy grail is a case of 1th material with military specs, but not found it yet. so a compromise between being sleek or safe has to be made, the day i removed my iphone from its survivor case - i smashed it :(

Hey, you need a case which well protected your iPhone.

you should do a search on the forum because this topic has been talked about a lot.

i currently use the otterbox commuter and it works wonders. ive been using otterbox since my iphone 3g (defender) 3gs (commuter ) and also the commuter for the iphone 4 and i also plan on getting the commuter for the iphone 4s

I just with the ottorbox had a place to allow the back kickstand...any rumors if it will soon?

The ATT store is offering a deal for the ottorbox defender....how would you rank that compared to:

Ottobox commutter
Ballistics
Griffin?

the defender has more protection but is also bulkier than the commuter. i personally pick the commuter because its not that big and offers great protection

ottobox defender is the case that has the biggest rating on phone protection, if you drop you phone many times you don't want to go for less than a bulky case, yes is bulky, but who cares, at the end when you pick up your phone from the floor, at least you won't be worry if you broke your phone again. besides the clip is great, it rotates you carry your phone the way you want it. Just make sure to buy the 4S version, the iphone 4 defender case is not compatible with the 4S, ottobox has the right case for the iphone 4S. So if you descide to go with the Defender you wont be disapointed.

I have been using a Cygnett 'Work Mate Pro' for a while. I'm a musician and I do a lot of gigs. I have broken loads of phones while carrying heavy amps or jumping up on stage to set up or generally just being a clumsy idiot. I have dropped my iphone4 a good few times since getting the Work Mate and, not only is the phone perfect, but the case is too! Highly recommended!

$WorkMate-Pro-Orange.jpg
Available in plain black too.

Has a competing price to the Griffin defender of £15 on Amazon (which I have).

Observations from pictures, are No flaps over camera, switch or earphone socket. Some find them a pain I prefer them to keep out building dust when on sites.

Think the Griffin and Otterbox score higher especially against blown sand and splashed water ingress, and both those cases claim to meet US and UK military spec, no mention of it with this case just a claim to be the toughest case out there so i'm not sure how they can this without comparrison proof?

It will be fine for many people, as I ride motorcycles in the UK, I need a degree of water protection, just so I have enough time to pull over and pocket the phone if it suddenly rains.

ottobox defender is the case that has the biggest rating on phone protection, if you drop you phone many times you don't want to go for less than a bulky case, yes is bulky, but who cares, at the end when you pick up your phone from the floor, at least you won't be worry if you broke your phone again. besides the clip is great, it rotates you carry your phone the way you want it. Just make sure to buy the 4S version, the iphone 4 defender case is not compatible with the 4S, ottobox has the right case for the iphone 4S. So if you descide to go with the Defender you wont be disapointed.

Agreed with the above, but I bought the Griffin survivor case after reading problems with screen protector damage with the otter box (and being a tight wad the survivor was a lot cheaper ;) ).

Have you had any such problems?

For a kick-stand, may I suggest one I found on amazon.

Spending most of my time in an office cubicle working night shift with restricted internet access, my iphone is the only way to keep me entertained. I usually youtube or watch tv series, and I tried many ways to keep the phone at a certain stable degree for my comfort - leaning it against the monitor, the coffee mug, etc. But it somehow always manages to slip. I looked online for iphone cases with stands, but those are usually too huge for my liking as I wanted a 2-in1 solution. I came across this one here on amazon and gave it a try.

The Mondrian case is based upon simple geometric patterns found in the paintings of Piet Mondrian, where the name or brand probably originates from.

While it's not only a protective case, it is also a cleverly built-in stand. At the back are two rectangle shaped pieces that fold-out and fit into each other. As they do, they provide a perfect adjustable angle for watching youtube etc - exactly what I needed it for.

Even with the possibility to fold out the back of the case, it is not too thick once closed. The case itself is only 6mm thick and made out of hard plastic. Luckily, it does not look cheap. The color scheme works for me (black/yellow), but if you like I am sure there will be other variations available in the future. I noticed from the packing that this is a korean made item, fairly new on the market as I could not find any other reviews so far.