What's new

Best Phone Protective Case

Honest reviews and civil discourse this place is awesome!!

I've got an otterbox shipped my way, I'm so excited. :)

The Griffin Survivor offers the best protection between the Defender and Sedio Rugged. The Survivor offers all around protection since it covers and protects everything on the iPhone such as the back camera/flash. The Sedio Rugged I would put in second in regards to protection only because it doesn't have a built in screen shield. The Defender is 3rd because it doesn't offer the all around protection that the Survivor and Rugged offer. Although the Defender covers all necessary ports there's no protection for the back camera/flash.

If the Defender had protection for the back camera/flash I would say it would be a toss up between the Survivor. Because the Defender shows off iPhone better. Has the cutout for Apple logo, is thinner than the Survivor but offers same protection. It is just a classier case than the Survivor.
I didn't really like Seidio. No kickstand.

I gotta ask, the camera not being protected by the ottorbox defender, is that really a big deal?
The rep at the store didn't think so, and even let me drop her phone on the floor, and it was fine.
So if you drop the phone, meh, 10 times a year or 2 years ( roughly the span you will keep it), will you be good (even if drop on concrete from 6 feet)?
Or do you need a Griffin?

Last edited:
Hey I got a problem with the OB Defender, and this is it:

When I want to put my headphones into the phone, it doesn't go in "cleanly".
By this I mean, there is a small patch on the top of the phone case, which covers that compartment.

(see photo A...yeh the iPhone can't take pictures at this angle! So I had to use my other camera, figured visual aids will help you all)
$IMG_3925.JPG

Now within that "patch" there is a round circle opening which I thought I could use to place my headphones through.

The problem is, this circle opening, while it can fit the headphone jack, it does not "align" with the headphone outlet.
There are two holes in this compartment, one if a big circle opening for the headphone, the other is a very small dot.
$IMG_3924.JPG
The otterbox defender mis-aligns. It has the circle opening in the protective case lining up with the small dot NOT the large circle headphone jack.
$IMG_3926.JPG
What this means is, when I want to use my headphones, I have to "un-snap" the patch which covers up this compartment, plug in my headjacks, and so long as I want my headphones connected, the "patch" must stay open.

It would be so much easier if I could simply stick the headphone cord through the circle in the case directly to the outlet, instead of having that flap open.
$IMG_3926.JPG$IMG_3927.JPG
Does anybody else have this problem? I would normally guess maybe this was due to it being put on wrong, but it can't be. The Phone rep put it on for me, and all the other buttons and outlets on the case match up.

Is this just a model error for my Otterbox Defender/iPhone or do you have this problem too?
I have 30 days to return or not, and wondering if maybe I was given a bad case OR if all Otterbox's are this way and either it is no big deal or I should get another (Griffin?) case?

Hey I got a problem with the OB Defender, and this is it:

When I want to put my headphones into the phone, it doesn't go in "cleanly".
By this I mean, there is a small patch on the top of the phone case, which covers that compartment.

(see photo A...yeh the iPhone can't take pictures at this angle! So I had to use my other camera, figured visual aids will help you all)
View attachment 3230

Now within that "patch" there is a round circle opening which I thought I could use to place my headphones through.

The problem is, this circle opening, while it can fit the headphone jack, it does not "align" with the headphone outlet.
There are two holes in this compartment, one if a big circle opening for the headphone, the other is a very small dot.
View attachment 3231
The otterbox defender mis-aligns. It has the circle opening in the protective case lining up with the small dot NOT the large circle headphone jack.
View attachment 3232
What this means is, when I want to use my headphones, I have to "un-snap" the patch which covers up this compartment, plug in my headjacks, and so long as I want my headphones connected, the "patch" must stay open.

It would be so much easier if I could simply stick the headphone cord through the circle in the case directly to the outlet, instead of having that flap open.
View attachment 3232View attachment 3233
Does anybody else have this problem? I would normally guess maybe this was due to it being put on wrong, but it can't be. The Phone rep put it on for me, and all the other buttons and outlets on the case match up.

Is this just a model error for my Otterbox Defender/iPhone or do you have this problem too?
I have 30 days to return or not, and wondering if maybe I was given a bad case OR if all Otterbox's are this way and either it is no big deal or I should get another (Griffin?) case?

I know this does not solve your problem about leaving the flap open when you use headphones, but that hole is not meant for the headphone jack, but for the top mic, it has to do with the noise canceling.

Hope this helps,
HiddenPuppy

I'm thinking the otterbox as well with an xoskin screen protector.

I have the Otterbox Defender, my iPhone has taken some pretty hard knocks with it. Not even a scratch in the case. Bullet proof armor for the iPhone!!!!