What's new

Battery Life for Iphone4

Whoever is getting horrible battery life compared to ANY droid phone (Thunderbolt is complete garbage when it comes to battery life, even with 4G disabled and in CDMA Auto) is probably ignorant on how to setup their iphone.

A simple search on this site will yield hundreds of result treads on how to extend your battery life...

Turn off Push Notifications
Dont use Exchange email
Dont use location services for apps like Facebook, news, etc
Use Wifi when in a Wifi area
Turn off Bluetooth
Set Fetch interval to 1 hour
Set screen timeout to 1 min
LET YOUR BATTERY GET USED! (the worth thing you can do is always leave your phone plugged in, this goes for ANY Li-po battery)

When I first got my Verizon iPhone, I thought CRAP, this phone SUCKS with battery... but using my brain and reading articles allowed me to get my usage time to over 8 hours of usage. This includes Games, Videos, Web Browsing, News apps, Facebook, texts and some phone calls, and over 1 day of standby.

Right now I have 44% on my battery and I havent charged it since Tuesday.

The battery life on the iphone 4 is amazing, but it takes some adjustments of settings to make it that way. When you install an app and it asks you if you want to enable push notifications, as well as location services and you say YES, you just sliced some of your battery off right there.

Oh, and dont even ask how laughable the Thunderbolt battery is. My friend is unable to get 4 hours of use time and barely 9 hours of standby time. He does nothing but complain about the battery. Applications management shows that there are about 57 apps running. 38 of them are Sense related, and the others are bloatware that you cannot disable, because once you do, they restart... this includes VZ navigator (ironic isnt it?) and a ton of other power draining apps.

He is returning his phone to Best Buy today.

Oh, and since someone called shenanagins on my battery claim (which is NOT an outrageous claim by the way)

image.png

Wow thats not bad!! I'm more hopeful now that it is possible to reserve battery life. This helps make my decision of the Iphone4 vs. Droid X.
Oh, and since someone called shenanagins on my battery claim (which is NOT an outrageous claim by the way)

image.png

U honestly returned the thunderbolt for the iPhone. I hear thunderbolt was supposed to match the iPhone in battery life.

Absolutely not!!!! I already said, with everything turned down or off and all feeds and widgets set to manual update only the Thunderbolt struggled to make 5 hours on a charge.

I even disabled 4g.

I love the battery on my iPhone. Having had blackberries and a Droid OG I finally don't have to worry about lasting the day. Unplugged the other day at 4am and at 11pm I still had 30%. That's good enough for me!

8 hours and 22 minutes of usage is a lot.

Not necessarily, iPhone gets about 1 hour of use per 10% of battery. Now this is with screen not very bright and not downloading constantly, but I normally see about 6-7 hours usage before I charge around 10% or so.

Edit: to clarify, I use auto brightness with the slider set to about 60%. Do mostly gaming texting and news app reading

Last edited:
the iPhone battery life us superb. i can get over a days usage easy. I got my phone when it released on Verizon, read about battery life, changed my settings and now I'm unplugging at 7:15am and getting to 70% by 5pm. I rarely play games now, I quit reading my emails but keep my news readers open. only if I could just let it out of my hand.

With my droids i literally had to fully charge it 3-4 times a day! It was bullcrap!! With my iphone 4, i can litterally go 3 full days before i hit 40%.. I am heavy user

I'm thinking about getting an Iphone4 and give up Android. I really would like a smartphone with better battery life. Can someone tell me how the battery life is on the Iphone4? Can you get a full day out of it without having to charge it before leaving work?

I Just came from the Dx with the extended battery from vzw, and let me tell u, the batt on the iphone is so much better!! one charge a day!!!

also if you go to settings and then networks and change it to not auto detect wi-fi you will get lots better battery life as well as setting push to e-mail every 30 min....i get 2 days on a single charge and use it lots...

bigtankusa1 said:
also if you go to settings and then networks and change it to not auto detect wi-fi you will get lots better battery life as well as setting push to e-mail every 30 min....i get 2 days on a single charge and use it lots...

I don't see that options in the networks. I go into general options and I dont see where u can change it.

I charged mine yesterday around 2, and I'm at 22% now with decently heavy usage(beluga, twitter, email, some internet, texting)... I love the battery on it. But I do have a question... The usage section, will that only show you your time whe you are not connected to wi-fi? I charged to 100% and it started tracking the time, but then it connected to a wifi location and the tracker went to "-" and said it will track at the next full charge

I charged mine yesterday around 2, and I'm at 22% now with decently heavy usage(beluga, twitter, email, some internet, texting)... I love the battery on it. But I do have a question... The usage section, will that only show you your time whe you are not connected to wi-fi? I charged to 100% and it started tracking the time, but then it connected to a wifi location and the tracker went to "-" and said it will track at the next full charge

OH NO!!!!!

You've activated the self destruct sequence. You're screwed buddy.

Just kidding!!!

I wouldn't think that it would track them separately. Sorry I'm no help at all on this one.

Cya

OH NO!!!!!
You've activated the self destruct sequence. You're screwed buddy.
Just kidding!!!
I wouldn't think that it would track them separately. Sorry I'm no help at all on this one.
Cya

CRAP! It actually just melted in my ha.... o wait, not really. lol. But seriously, I'm curious if anyone else has this issue or its a random glitch?