What's new

on the fence about making the switch..

tc3

Reaction score
Having a tuff time deciding on whether or not to stih from Android to iPhone.

Pros

Google navigation
Drag and drop file system
Can install any app I want without apples permission.
Customization.
4G .

Cons
Sub par battery life
Apps are less polished or missing ie netflix,Skype (for thunderbolt anyway).

IPhone
Pros
I can't think of many real pros over the Android....maybe more stable, and no fragmentation,better battery life.

Cons?

Locked down from Apple...I really don't like Apple telling me what I'm allowed to install on my phone.

Lack of customizations? I don't know much about this but u can't your own sounds and songs as notifications?

I really hate having to use itunes and not having a drag and drop file system.

Anything u guys really missed that u wish apple would address?

I spent 13 months on Android. I helped write the book on how overclocking and voltage works on Android phones. I switched to the iPhone 4 for one reason and one reason only.

It works.

No missed calls. No missed text messages. No screen or app lag because the OS is trying to run seven applications in background at once. No more "will I make it thru the day on one charge". No need to run antivirus. No more dealing with apps that work on one phone but not another because they have different screen resolutions.

Say what you will about Apple being the "Overlord" of apps and the OS. But after playing in the free fields of Android, I have zero intention of going back to an Android phone till they fix a ton of issues.

I switched from a Win Mobile phone. It was a toss-up between Android and iPhone. What finally pushed me was my wife's Win Mobile phone was having continous problems and I was tired of having to constantly troubleshoot. Bottom line, she quit using the phone for anything but phone calls (imagine that). I kept hearing that the iPhone and its apps WORKED, period. It's true. Both my wife and I now have iPhone 4s and could not be happier. I also bitched about the lack of customization, but that is a minor issue compared to the fact that the phone and its apps do what they're supposed to. I have not had the phone freeze once in the 3 months I have had it and I have over 30-40 apps and they work as advertised. Plus, most apps are free or 99 cents and there are several very good navigation apps.

Finally, if you really want to customize, you can Jailbreak the phone. If you're familiar eough with customizing other phone types, you can do a JB.

Good Luck deciding.

I'm really disgusted with this HTC thunderbolt ....its what made me really consider the iPhone.

The random rebooting is vomit inducing. And the typical response is to root the phone and blah blah blah....I don't want to have to do anything to make my phone just work.

Can u set custom ringtones or notifications on the iPhone?

Custom ringtones, yes.
Custom notifications tones for everything else, no.

iOS 5s feature set should be revealed in 5 days. I am hopeful that Apple has addressed both the issue of custom tones and their notifications in general.

And yes, the only way to make a T-Bolt work is to load a custom firmware. Heck even CyanogenMod is finally officially working on a T-Bolt release of CM 7.0.x because of how bad the situation is.

Probably not as with all smart phones but does iPhone have built in repeating alerts for missed calls,text,etc?

They have an On/Off toggle for repeating alerts. And it is fixed to two more alerts and then done.

Better than having to use a 3rd party app I guess but don't know they (all phones) cannot have this feature so that it repeats until u acknowledge it.

Skull One said:
Custom ringtones, yes.
Custom notifications tones for everything else, no.

iOS 5s feature set should be revealed in 5 days. I am hopeful that Apple has addressed both the issue of custom tones and their notifications in general.

And yes, the only way to make a T-Bolt work is to load a custom firmware. Heck even CyanogenMod is finally officially working on a T-Bolt release of CM 7.0.x because of how bad the situation is.

This is why I'm looking to the iPhone....I'm not jumping through hoops to make my phone work.

I used android since day one and it's ok but the iPhone is a 1000 times better alot of what people say that you can't do this and can't do that , YES you can!! Jailbreak, jailbreak, jailbreak!!!! I might not never go back to a android phone again.

I'm with Skull 100%... was engrossed in the Android world since the original Droid was released - studied Skull's overclocking "book" quite extensively actually. (remember the guy in #cvpcs that lived just north of you in Frisco? :))

I've owned almost every major Droid phone since the D1... Incredible, Droid X, Thunderbolt, and even gave the X2 and Incredible 2 a run. Once I got the tinkering out of my system, I got sick of having to think about my phone or worry about it working right or worrying about charging it every night or whatever - worrying about it period. For example, I know when my iPhone is sitting on my desk in the evenings that I don't have to worry about it doing something to suck the battery dry before I go to bed.

Long story short, I had so many problems with the Thunderbolt a buddy of mine worked a deal for me and I got the ip4 at a small discount to the normal price. The "just works" iPhone plus the reliability of the Verizon network has been awesome. Yes, there are a few things Android can do that the iPhone "can't" (natively anyway), but there's beauty in simplicity sometimes. I'm beyond tinkering and care more about reliability and battery life.

"This is why I'm looking to the iPhone....I'm not jumping through hoops to make my phone work."

The only current Android phone that works pretty darn smooth out of the box right now is the Incredible 2. HTC is doing a great job of making Android as seamless as possible. If you really wanted to stick with Android, I'd recommend that. But other than that phone, there's a decent chance you'll have to jump through at least a few hoops to make your phone work right.

Android fanbois will claim that Apple is full of "sheeple", and while there is some truth to that (as with any popular brand), what they don't mention is the other large percentage of iPhone users that use it b/c it simply works and doesn't have to occupy more time in their life than it should.

And yes, people do have Android phones that work fine for most of what they do. However, I guarantee you the odds of a problem or bug cropping up on an Android phone are much greater than on an iPhone - it's just inherent in the way Android is built and the way it's fragmented.

Not that any of those Android phones I tried are bad phones, they're solid for most people, but they do tend to take more work. Android is trying to become more streamlined and more "thoughtless", but until they get control of a few important aspects of how they do things, Apple will always hold the title of "Just works".

Android seems to be all about the latest and greatest specs and hyping that up while marketing their phones as so powerful that they'll destroy you and your family if you're not careful. Apple seems to care more about reliability and form factor - the two things that matter to a majority of society.

Wow that became long-winded really quickly... sorry.

Last edited:
To add to that and reply to part of your OP, I believe iTunes gets a bad rap. Once you get it setup the first time around and tell it how you want to sync, it actually makes things a little more simple. Plug your phone in, it syncs and backs everything up, gives you the option to import your pictures, and bam you're done. Ideally it could do that over wifi, but one could argue that gives you less control over when to sync and sucks battery life down "unknowingly". It'll be interesting to see what iCloud has to offer...

Dont be sorry good info there.

I too have the thunderbolt and had an original Droid before that.

I'm at the point where I want/need a smartphone but I need it to be reliable as I don't have the time or patience to jack with it in order to make it work .

And charging it multiple times a day is a total joke.

jnt_ip; Yes, yes I do :) and I didn't mean for Overclocking 101 to become a freaking book! It took on a life I never expected. Of course it didn't help that I had even more questions than most of the users that posted in that the thread ;)

I still hang out in #cvpcs and play sounding board for Android OS questions. Of course they call me the local Apple Fanboi representative but they are very kind to me considering I switched teams :)

Dont be sorry good info there.

I too have the thunderbolt and had an original Droid before that.

I'm at the point where I want/need a smartphone but I need it to be reliable as I don't have the time or patience to jack with it in order to make it work .

And charging it multiple times a day is a total joke.

You should give the ip4 a try - I think you'll find it a refreshing change, especially coming from the Bolt. 4G is overrated anyway until they get the eHRPD technology working better in the radios/towers...