What's new

Android power user thinking about switching to iPhone - questions

ahpitre

Reaction score
I am an Android power user (rooted, phone, always tinkering and changing stuff). Thinking about switching to iPhone 6S Plus. Some questions :
1) I use Firefox on my Android phone and love how my history, bookmarks, passwords, and tabs are synced with my Windows computer. I don't see Firefox in the iTunes store, is there a way I can effectively sync my Firefox data with an iPhone?
2) In Android there are apps that help you get better battery life. Read some reviews for iPhone for some apps, but, reviews are not clear (some pros, some cons) on whether these apps really work. Any suggestions?
3) Are there apps. that can let me view my contacts but with their photos (like Android or Windows phone which can use an internal photo, or the Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn photo)? I don't understand why Apple doesn't address this after 9 years, you can only see the photo once you are in a call, but, not while scrolling thru your contacts list.
4) Can the home screen be customized (E.g. themes, change the icons, resize the icons or how many columns/rows can be displayed?
5) What is the experience with the new features in the pressure touch sensitive display? How does it work, is it really useful?
6) What is the typical battery life (E.g. can you go a full day with moderate to heavy use w/o recharging)?
7) ON Android, I rooted my phones so I could try new versions of the OS. What would be the advantage of rooting/jailbreaking an iPhone? Since iOS 9 is new, how long before a jailbreak version is available?
8) Anyone using Word, Excel, or PowerPoint? What is the experience (how can you compare to the Desktop version)?
9) Any good calendar apps? I use 1 Gmail, and 2 Outlook/Hotmail accounts, like to use Exchange mode so I can sync my email, contacts, calendar.
10) Any apps that can sync my Hotmail/Outlook tasks, and notes?

3.) As far as I remember, Android doesn't let you view the contacts with image in list view. That's not different on the iPhone.
In the Phone app, you can select contacts as favorites. When you go to Phone - Favourites, the images from Facebook/.../or pictures you chose will be displayed.

Also, in the Contacts app, you don't need to make a call when you wish to see the photo of one of your contacts. Tap the name, and this will lead to the next page where you'll see every information, including the photo.

4.) The size of the app icons can't be customized. In portrait mode, you'll get four apps or folders in a row. You can't start a second row unless the first one isn't completed. The iPhone 6s can have up to 6 rows, and the dock with the apps or folders you prefer there.
You can use wallpapers from Apple, or from apps, it's also possible to use your own photos as wallpapers.

3.) As far as I remember, Android doesn't let you view the contacts with image in list view. That's not different on the iPhone.
In the Phone app, you can select contacts as favorites. When you go to Phone - Favourites, the images from Facebook/.../or pictures you chose will be displayed.

Also, in the Contacts app, you don't need to make a call when you wish to see the photo of one of your contacts. Tap the name, and this will lead to the next page where you'll see every information, including the photo.

4.) The size of the app icons can't be customized. In portrait mode, you'll get four apps or folders in a row. You can't start a second row unless the first one isn't completed. The iPhone 6s can have up to 6 rows, and the dock with the apps or folders you prefer there.
You can use wallpapers from Apple, or from apps, it's also possible to use your own photos as wallpapers.

I have been using Android since version 2.X, and it allows you to see the photo of your contact while you are scrolling down the list. Windows Phone, and the new Blackberry 10 devices also allow it, only iPhone doesn't. I know that when you are viewing a contact's details you see the photo, but not while scrolling or searching on the list.

What about the icons, can you change those? In Android you can download what are known as Icon Packs, or Themes, these will change your Icons.

The last time I used an Android was almost a year ago, so it's possible that I didn't remember this right.

You can't change the icons with a stock iPhone. Maybe it's possible with a jailbroken device, I don't know. I prefer my Apple devices un-jailbroken, so I can't tell you exactly what's possible.

This thread will give some information about jailbreaking, as it was one of the questions you posted above:
What is jailbreaking? | Apple iPhone Forum
The current software versions (9.0.1 and 9.0.2) are not jailbreakable (yet), so if you purchase an iPhone 6s, you'll have to wait until it is available.

I switched from Samsung and LG rooted phones to a new iPhone. I can't answer many of your questions but the iPhone is a lot less customizable.

Jailbreak allows a lot more but it will take a while for a iOS 9 jailbreak to arrive. The way I understand it jailbreaks take advantage of "holes" that Apple can plug after a JB comes out. Since iOS 9 came out there have been 9.0.1 and 9.0.2. If a JB did come out now Apple would shortly come out with a 9.x which would keep people from jb unless they wanted to keep the iOS they had. Many people who jb are still on iOS 7.That being said iOS 9.1 is rumored to be the iOS on the new iPad so perhaps the JB will not come out till the new iPad arrives.

There are no custom roms, just jb apps so if you jb and stay on an older iOS there is no way to upgrade to features on a newer iOS unless someone writes an app for a specific purpose.

I just got my iPhone a week ago so I could be wrong. In fact, I posted partly for people to point out mistakes I have made.