What's new

Concerned about switching from Android

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I've been an Android user forever. I've never had anything against iPhones but once I started with Android it was easier to stay with Android but now I may have a reason to switch but this is causing me some concerns. My first concern is how integrated ny apps are with my mail, calendar, contacts and photo backups and my MP3 music are integrated with Google apps. Are Google apps available on iPhones so you can still operate as I have on my Android phone? If not what apps are available to allow you to still keep everything stored in my Google account?

Well most of the same apps that you have for android or available but they have to be re-purchased the platforms are not interchangeable (for the most part) but Apple is not as versatile as android but since Apple makes it’s own hardware and it’s own software it works in conjunction much, much, much better than android which is independently owned and operated as it is the hardware so that is a big advantage In stability and speed.

Here's my concern.... My calendar of events is store in the Google calendar. Are most Google apps available for the iPhones so I don't have to change apps or change where my data is stored as my PC has already been setup to use my days from my Google account? Right now I have not made the switch I'm only considering the change as I'm going to need hearing aids and the aids have been integrated with the iPhone so that they work together and they can't with the Android.

Google is your friend ..I'm using one Android phone and iPhone ..all my Gmail ..Google photos and calendar events sync on both devices without a skip ..as long you use your Google account to sign in to the apps they all work perfectly..
Good luck with your decision and transition and overall health ..

Afaik, apps developed by Google themselves for iPhone or iPad are free. If you don’t wish to use the built in browser, Safari, there’s also Chrome. You’ll find an app called Google.
Google Drive is free, you just have to login with your Gmail account.
If you save your images to Google Photos, you’ll find that app in the App Store as well. Google Play Music is also available, afaik.
Google makes sure these apps are working with the latest software, so they are up to date and working without problems.

Most calendars for iPhone sync with google i have the stock and two other colanders i use from tome to time all sync fine

Good information above and all I can add to that is make the switch....
You won't regret it.

Only you can be the judge of that.
All l will say is that l use almost all of Google’s Apps for my info, without a problem (so far).

As an aside -- I have a pair of Beltone hearing aids and their app pretty slick. Multiple frequency response curves and control right from your iPhone. I am not affiliated with Beltone in any way just a happy customer.

bob

There are apps that will transfer all your data from an android phone to an iPhone. Can’t remember name off top of my head. You may or may not like IOS. You can’t customize like you can with android, but the system runs way smoother!! Just my experiment with using both platforms. Apple phones are much simpler and easy to use for most people. Never had issues with any of mine dating back to the 3GS. I’ve owned almost all of the ones after. And none ever gave me issues like the android phone I had did!!! Man it was awful. But like said, in the end you will be the one that makes the choice of whether you like iPhone or not. They are very nice phones that just work!!! Best way I can describe them!! Good day.

Thanks everyone for addressing some of my concerns. I have a few more questions for you all that hopefully can be answered by some of you.

On my Android phone I use an application called Gravity Screen. This app runs in the background all of the time monitoring the orientation of the phone to save battery and to prevent the phone from dimming and blanking the screen if I'm looking at the screen and not actively performing screen navigation. For example, if the phone is placed flat on a table either face up or face down the application will immediately blank the screen to save power. on the other hand if I'm reading a news feed article it knows from the angle of the phone that I'm using the phone and will keep the screen fully lit. Unfortunately Gravity Screen is an Android only app so I was wondering if the IPhone has this functionality built in or if there's a similar app for the iPhone?

Apples IOS operates a lot different than Androids does. Battery drain and constantly having to have apps to maintain processes and running apps is not needed for the iPhone. Your screen can detect the needed brightness when it’s dark or sunny out to save battery power. It’s call auto brightness. Not sure about some of the other things you are asking about. But I know that Apple IOS is a totally different platform than android is. I do k ow what you are describing the iPhone does I am pretty sure. Never truly laid attention. Like I said, a couple of the features you are asking about may be solvable through the Settings menu and some tweaking of the settings. Not seen or heard of an app like the one you are asking about though. Sorry can’t be if more help as far as finding a similar app. Maybe there is one. I searched a few different ways and got nothing of the such. Good luck and good day.

Apples IOS operates a lot different than Androids does. Battery drain and constantly having to have apps to maintain processes and running apps is not needed for the iPhone

Just to clarify as perhaps the iPhone does work differently. On an Android phone if you are not using your fingers to tap on the screen or navigate the screen, your android phone screen will begin to dim and will lock the screen for you believing that your finished with whatever you're doing. This can be frustrating as you may actually be looking at the screen but not touching the screen. The app I mentioned assumes that if the phone is at lease at a 15 degree angle you're actually using the phone and will not dim or lock the screen while your busy reading something. Using the app resolves having to tap and re-tap the screen just to keep the screen fully lit and unlocked.

On the iPhone you can set the amount of time from the last screen activity until the screen turns off. There are a number of times from never to 15 minutes.

Reactions: 933