What's new

Two Android users contemplating switching to the iPhone

-see attached screenshots for the navigation for iOS Google maps
Thanks! For the second screenshot (the map itself with the route highlighted), do you have the ability to zoom in to see more detail, as needed, as you traverse the route?

Thanks! For the second screenshot (the map itself with the route highlighted), do you have the ability to zoom in to see more detail, as needed, as you traverse the route?

Yes you have the ability to zoom in/out to see more detail while you are following the route.

Are you certain about the 1 Exchange account? I currently have 3 Exchange accounts set up and they all seem to push fine....

madcat said:
Are you certain about the 1 Exchange account? I currently have 3 Exchange accounts set up and they all seem to push fine....

interesting you say that....hmmm....I just read that I could only have one, never actually tested it. I stand corrected, thanks for your input :)

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Mapquest for iphone works very well, including voice directions.

cgwaters said:

all of those apps only work if the iPhone is jailbroken ( the equivalent of "rooting" an Android phone). it is not hard to do, but you just need to be comfortable with modding your phone.

once you jailbreak your phone, the opportunities really open up with how you can customize your phone :)

D'oh! Rats! That makes it sound doubtful (again) that the authors of PhoneWeaver will be able to produce a version for un-rooted iPhones.

cgwaters said:
D'oh! Rats! That makes it sound doubtful (again) that the authors of PhoneWeaver will be able to produce a version for un-rooted iPhones.

you should contact them and ask if they will be able to

you should contact them and ask if they will be able to
I did, on Friday; hoping to hear from them soon. The last comment they made about it, in public forum, was about a year ago--when they mentioned how difficult it was to access certain features in iOS. At that time, they indicated they were making *some* progress but said they would likely be stymied until a more open version of the platform was released. I'm hoping iOS 5 (with it's more Android-like notification system) is it.

cgwaters said:
I did, on Friday; hoping to hear from them soon. The last comment they made about it, in public forum, was about a year ago--when they mentioned how difficult it was to access certain features in iOS. At that time, they indicated they were making *some* progress but said they would likely be stymied until a more open version of the platform was released. I'm hoping iOS 5 (with it's more Android-like notification system) is it.

that'd make perfect sense. I guarantee you of they jailbroken the phone they could access those features. maybe they will make their app only downloadable from their website, because I know for sure Apple doesn't allow apps on the AppStore that require jailbreak

Call it wishful thinking but I'm hoping Apple opened up iOS 5 enough to allow these kind of applications without having to jailbreak.