What's new

Switching from Android to IPhone 5c

theposhcat

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife has swapped to an iPhone.

Can I get some advice please?

I have synced Gmail contacts and calendar for her. I can see no reason to import them into icloud, they seem compatible and a change either end ends up at the other end?

I add ringtones using iTunes?

The biggest issue is moving sms texts across. Is it easy and free? I've downloaded the texts as an Xml file, can I import to the iPhone?

Cheers

Darren

[emoji4]

Hi,

My wife has swapped to an iPhone.

I did the same thing a few months ago myself, took some getting used to but in the long run it was well worth it.

Can I get some advice please?

I have synced Gmail contacts and calendar for her. I can see no reason to import them into icloud, they seem compatible and a change either end ends up at the other end?

Well here the choice is yours whether to sync to the cloud or not, but it doesn't hurt to have a little redundancy. Also keep this in mind, in the event you have to do a restore on your phone, you'd have to setup and resync the contacts from GMail all over again, but the phone would automatically get them from the cloud once you've entered your AppleID credentials.

I add ringtones using iTunes?

Yes, it's an Apple thing you'll have to get used to. There's an app called Zedge (it's also available for Android) that has some pretty good ringtones as well as wallpapers. You use the app to pick which ringtones you want, then you have to install a small program on your PC which downloads them and places them in your iTunes library on the PC. Then next time you sync your phone with iTunes, the ringtones get put on your phone.

The biggest issue is moving sms texts across. Is it easy and free? I've downloaded the texts as an Xml file, can I import to the iPhone?

Sorry I can't help you here, I just didn't want to go through the hassle. Besides I felt that the texts that I did have on my other phone weren't important enough to save.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You're probably just as well off to leave the contacts in gmail. Regardless of gmail or icloud contacts you have to resync them in the event of a phone wipe.

One thing you don't want is to have both gmail and icloud contacts on, does some screwy things.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net

I switched from Android recently as well. The only thing I use iCloud sync for are photos and safari. Everything else is turned off and syncs via gmail.

Facing the same dilemma, I used "SMS to Text" (FREE) Android app to create a text file of my text messages. Then I saved the file to Evernote (also FREE) ( AND which is a "must install" on any device I own).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk