What's new

Why I got the iphone?

nj1266

Reaction score
I came up with a list of why I got the iphone over an android phone. Are any of these reasons factually inaccurate?

‎1. I can keep it stock and it works like promised. With the Droid phones you have to root to get them to work are promised

‎2. Battery life on an iphone is MUCH better than that of a droid. I do not want to get an extended battery that makes the phone look pregnant. I am looking at you HTC T-Bolt

‎3. Only the iphone allows you to shut down the Apps. With Android the apps are constantly running in the background and will only shut down once the RAM memory is full and you command another App. That is the way the system is designed to work. IMO, that is the reason for the battery drain on the droid phones. BTW, task killers do not work on later version of Android software.

‎4. The Apple store is right there next to you so you can take the phone to them to get it fixed in case you want to. I am told they are VERY good at customer service.

‎5. While the Android 2.2 and 3.1 have more bells and whistles (widgets, better notification, customization), the iOS is just SMOOTH and has no glitchs in its operation. It works all the time everytime. It rarely freezes or hesitates. You do not need to root/jailbreak at all.

‎6. BLOATWARE. Droid phones on verizon have up to 17 pre-installed Apps that you CANNOT remove. That eats a lot of memory. Since Apple is in control with the iphone, the pre-installed Apps are kept to a bare minimum. I will have to root the Droid to get rid of the bloatware. I do not want to do that.

‎7. Resale value. Iphones are introduced yearly and have great re-sale value. By contrast, there is a droid phone introduced on VZ every month. Since March I have seen 5 new VZ droids introduced: Thunderbolt, Charge, LG Revolution, Droid X2, Droid Inc2. They reproduce like rabbits and soon the mother company forgets about them.

‎8. App store has 500,000 screened apps. There is little room to introduce malware into your iphone. With the Android App Market, anyone can create an App and you risk viruses. Google just removed Apps from the store that had viruses in them. I do not want to deal with that.

Are there any other reasons that I missed?

I got it because I don't have to explain why I bought it everyone I see friends with Androids while they have to explain why they bought androids over an iPhone.

Friend of mine has an HTC something and he keep says how stupid it was when he got it he hate it he so depressed about it

+1 to number 7 -- if you keep it pristine with case and screen protector, you can upgrade every year with little or no cost.

I got mine to because I wanted to leave with no fear, virus free malware free and spyware free :) also because I don't have to be a tech savy before I can use my phone and yes services after sell is just what it is AWESOME.

My reply to these as both an Android and iPhone 4 user.

I came up with a list of why I got the iphone over an android phone. Are any of these reasons factually inaccurate?

‎1. I can keep it stock and it works like promised. With the Droid phones you have to root to get them to work are promised

Depends on the phone you are talking about. The new Droid X2 works pretty flawless in its stock form thanks to the new Moto Blur... Blur really is the best interface of all the manufacturers.

‎2. Battery life on an iphone is MUCH better than that of a droid. I do not want to get an extended battery that makes the phone look pregnant. I am looking at you HTC T-Bolt

Battery life on the Droid X2 is just as good as my iPhone 4. Yes, the T-Bolt is garbage. The T-Bolt was returned for the Droid X2 and it is amazing, even when compared to the iPhone 4

‎3. Only the iphone allows you to shut down the Apps. With Android the apps are constantly running in the background and will only shut down once the RAM memory is full and you command another App. That is the way the system is designed to work. IMO, that is the reason for the battery drain on the droid phones. BTW, task killers do not work on later version of Android software.

This depends on the bloatware that comes with the phone. HTC Sense was rediculous when it comes to bloatware. Motorola does tend to have a lot as well, but it doesnt affect the battery in this case.

‎4. The Apple store is right there next to you so you can take the phone to them to get it fixed in case you want to. I am told they are VERY good at customer service.

Where as many of us live next to, or close to an Apple Store, not everyone does... this is a bold statemtn, that many will challange as my sister in upstate NY has to drive 3 hours to get to the nearest Apple store. I on the otherhand to live with 30 minutes of one.

‎5. While the Android 2.2 and 3.1 have more bells and whistles (widgets, better notification, customization), the iOS is just SMOOTH and has no glitchs in its operation. It works all the time everytime. It rarely freezes or hesitates. You do not need to root/jailbreak at all.

I do agree with this statement, however jailbreaking the iphone opens up many more features that apple could have, and should have done themselves! I shouldnt have to jailbreak to allow a simple "reply" from an SMS popup... but I did.

‎6. BLOATWARE. Droid phones on verizon have up to 17 pre-installed Apps that you CANNOT remove. That eats a lot of memory. Since Apple is in control with the iphone, the pre-installed Apps are kept to a bare minimum. I will have to root the Droid to get rid of the bloatware. I do not want to do that.

There is a difference between memory and storage. Bloatware is added by the carrier and not the manufacturer. If Verizon says "we want Blockbuster, Netflix, VZ Navigator, blah blah blah, installed before we will contract the phone from you, naturally the manufacturer will comply. Apple simply held its ground regarding preinstalled apps.

‎7. Resale value. Iphones are introduced yearly and have great re-sale value. By contrast, there is a droid phone introduced on VZ every month. Since March I have seen 5 new VZ droids introduced: Thunderbolt, Charge, LG Revolution, Droid X2, Droid Inc2. They reproduce like rabbits and soon the mother company forgets about them.

Prior to these phone, there were only 4 phones from the span of a year and a half... From November 09 until March 11, there was only Droid, Droid Eris, Droid Inc, and Droid X introduced on verizon. Android sold its OS to the manufacturers... this is like saying "Damn, why are there so many cars out there?!?!?!" - Apple is just a single manufacturer offering its own smartphone alternative... this statement... is bogus in my opinion.

‎8. App store has 500,000 screened apps. There is little room to introduce malware into your iphone. With the Android App Market, anyone can create an App and you risk viruses. Google just removed Apps from the store that had viruses in them. I do not want to deal with that.

This was an issue for Apple as well in the begining... you answered your own issue in your statement... at least Google is doing something about it now...

I got it because for some bizarre reason, my husband thought it was a good idea for me to have a smart phone. I had asked for an iTouch for my birthday, and he said, what about an iPhone. I had never in a million years ever dared to dream of having one. Needless to say it was surreal. So I grabbed that bone and ran with it and less than a week later, I had one in my hand, and it's barely been apart from me since.

On a side note, both of my nephews have Droids, and they are rather new as well. They are lamenting that they can't download all the music from their iPods onto their Droids.