What's new

Wireless Charging!

Higher ampere chargers from what i have heard

FYI , for those looking at existing wireless charging pads.

I bought a Belkin 5W/1A charger for Qi/PMA smartphones and I was unable to get it to charge my iPhone 8 Plus. It would bump up about 2%, then the pan would flash RED and stop charging. According to the instructions, flashing RED means there’s a metal foreign object sitting on the pan (like car keys). I’m going to assume the pad is fine and the iPhone 8 is just not compatible with this charger. Does anyone know what model works with the iPhone 8?

View attachment 36632

View attachment 36633
According to Apple, any charger compliant with the Qi standard should work with the iPhone 8 models and the iPhone X. You might want to have both your iPhone and the charging pad checked out at an Apple Store Genius Bar.

Last edited:
I bought a generic charging pad from Best Buy and it works fine with my iPhone 8. I like the option. Puts less tear and wear on the port, IMHO. Although that hasn't been a problem for these phones as far as I know

According to Apple, any charger compliant with the Qi standard should work with the iPhone 8 models and the iPhone X. You might want to have both your iPhone and the charging pad checked out at an Apple Store Genius Bar.

That’s what I thought I had heard about it’s wireless charging capability. I guess it won’t hurt to get it checked out.

I have a wireless charger for an android tablet I have, what are the chances it works with the 8 Plus??

It's not a pad, but a little stand the tablet sets in/on, like ^^^

I have a wireless charger for an android tablet I have, what are the chances it works with the 8 Plus??

It's not a pad, but a little stand the tablet sets in/on, like ^^^
If it conforms to the Qi standard and the charging coil is located where it will be directly behind the back of the iPhone will be when it's in the stand it should work. It's likely though, that the coil will be located in the wrong place and won't charge your iPhone.

Yep, haven't and won't try it, no reason as I'm waiting on a proper one to arrive

I bought a generic charging pad from Best Buy and it works fine with my iPhone 8. I like the option. Puts less tear and wear on the port, IMHO. Although that hasn't been a problem for these phones as far as I know

Which one did you get? I’m in the market now to buy one!

I believe it was their own brand, but it's "Insignia". It was on sale at the time. I "think" it was $40 regular and $25 on sale.

can you play games on the phone 8 while it's charging (wireless charging )?

I think with certain games it would be no problem. I play star wars heroes and hawk: freedom squadron and most days I have it on the pillow and am swiping the screen so I think those types of games would work with the wireless charger, and other simple "Games" like candy crush if any one still plays it :D

I think with certain games it would be no problem. I play star wars heroes and hawk: freedom squadron and most days I have it on the pillow and am swiping the screen so I think those types of games would work with the wireless charger, and other simple "Games" like candy crush if any one still plays it :D
Wireless charging is less efficient than wired charging and any apps that use a lot of battery power may cause the iPhone to stop charging or even lose charge if the iPhone is using more power than can be supplied through wireless charging.

Last edited:
Wireless charging is less efficient than wired charging and any apps that use a lot of battery power may cause the iPhone to stop charging or even lose charge if the iPhone is using more power than can be supplied through wireless charging.

I am going to try it when I get my X but if the battery is too low, maybe I won't. I will always set the phone to charge at night no matter what % it is on so if its over 20-30 I will probably try and see.

I have a 3 meter lightning cable from Amazon Basics that lets me be active on the phone or iPad while charging. I can sit in the chair and split time with football and my iDevice with plenary of room to swing around or recline. My wireless will be for overnight charging

BE WARNED, if you have a case with a metal plate inserted for magnetic mounts then your phone WILL NOT charge without taking the case off, I have tried putting the metal plate in different areas but no luck, so a bit of a pain changing cases to charge, so just giving people the heads up.

What I did do to overcome this was to buy the fantastic Otterbox Strada case, I then put the metal plate in the credit card slot on the cover, this enables me to fold it back and still use the charging and magnetic mount.

Just about time ... sam has it long long time .. agoooo....:)