What's new

Wireless Charging

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I see the 8 Plus does wireless charging. Never used wireless charging before. Which wireless charger do you use? Which one do you recommend? Thanks! :)

Wireless charging is excellent and so easy to use. I bought mine from Amazon, but forget the brand. I think they may all be fairly similar.

One point, when you place your phone on the charger pad, make sure you hear the charging ‘bong, if the screen is covered, or see the charging symbol on the phone screen. It is very easy to miss the hot spot - as I have found once or twice.

Thank you, NSquirrel. I always have a cable sticking out of the side of my computer for the phone since I usually charge my phone from the USB port on the computer. I get lazy and leave the cable plugged in all of the time, and it is a bit messy. Maybe this wireless charging is the way to go with the 8 Plus. My desk would certainly be neater! Does the phone have to taken out of the plastic/rubber case to charge it that way?

Is should charge in the case. Try it and
Make sure you get the chime and the charging symbol.

Our two 8s are in cases and do not need to come out for charging.

I would give it a try; I doubt that you will be disappointed.

That would be ideal. Taking the case on and off would be a pain. Speaking of the case, USPS finally delivered my Amazon order last night at almost 8 p.m. I swear USPS gets worse every year, and I shudder to think how bad the holiday season is going to be this year. Last year was positively dreadful. Anyway, I was thrilled to finally be able to put on the screen protector and case, but to my complete astonishment, they shipped me a case for regular iPhone 7, so I am sending the case back for exchange today. Hopefully they will get the replacement to me by the end of the week. If it is not one thing, it is another. :rolleyes:

I will start looking at wireless chargers. I am not in a huge hurry to choose one after spending money on the mobile, the screen protector and the case, but it is something I think will be worth getting. Thanks, scifan57. :)

Thanks again, NSquirrel. :)

My two pads cost about £15 each in UK money a couple of years ago. They came with USB cables which I can plug into my standard iphone charger or could go into a laptop.

I was just looking around to see where I could plug in the charger. My place is so tiny now. I downsized a few times over the last 20 years, and pretty much every flat surface in my house is full! :D

My next downsize will likely be a small, wooden box. :p

No reason why the pad should not be vertical, with the phone standing against it, as long as you get the hotspot positioned right. I did think of making a small bracket initially, before I found the ideal location.

That is a good idea. I sometimes charge my Android emergency phone standing up against the wall near the electrical outlet. If this charger can be placed vertically, that would be a good possibility for me. Everything else seems to be bursting from the seams. Closets and cupboards are overfull. Pretty much all table top and other flat surfaces are full. My garage is packed with tons of stuff that would not fit into the house whence I moved here some years ago. I have been threatening to clean out that garage every Autumn and Winter for years! I swear, this year I am going to get it done! :rolleyes: :D

>> Everything else seems to be bursting from the seams.

I know the problem. We started de-cluttering a couple of years ago -perhaps longer; it seems so. All my old laptops and computers (several Macs), way beyond resuscitation, course books from days at Uni in the late 70’s, loads of VHS and cassettes, etc., etc., etc., 35 or so years worth. Still a way to go and if it was up to me, we would still have to start! Christmas and birthday presents with family and friends are now preferably consumable, so they do not clutter any of our houses. (And finally, several times I have gone to look for something and realised that I had recently taken it to the rubbish tip.)

It is amazing how much stuff we amass over the years, NSquirrel. Reminds me of an old George Carlin routine about places to keep our "stuff." It is so much more difficult to get rid of the "stuff" than it is to acquire it in the first place! For example, I have so many books it is unreal. I went through a lot of them a few years ago and donated over 400 titles to the public library, and despite that huge purge, I sill have way over 1K book left. I need to get rid of more of them, and like you, I have tons of VHS tapes, and now a small accumulation of DVDs, too. The VHS tapes took up so much room over the years! Not only did I buy programmes on VHS, I also regularly recorded programmes off of the telly. I ended up with hundreds of VHS tapes.

I like the DVD's better, though, and now I am very selective about the DVDs I am willing to add to my "video library." My collection is small enough that I pretty much can recall all of them off hand....I have the complete Downton; Indian Summers season one; complete Good Neighbours and complete As Time Goes By; Wild Pacific; Wild China; and the complete Hollow Crown. I think that is everything I own on DVD, and I am determined not to let that collection grow too much larger.

I found that selling on eBay and CL (I think CL is local to the U.S. only) is a good way to get rid of some things and bring in a little revenue at the same time, but it is a lot of work. Prima facie it may look easy, but as you probably know, snapping and uploading photos, creating listings, communicating with both potential and actual buyers, and packing and posting sold items, etc., is very time consuming indeed. I would prefer to sell on CL only so that local buyers could just pick up their items, but CL just does not get the traffic eBay gets, so I end up going back to eBay. I donate a lot of stuff, too. I think if I worked at it like a job for 8 hours a day, it would still take me months and months to weed out everything I need to get out of here. :(

The lesson for me has been "think twice before you bring home anything new, and try to make a weekly effort to get rid of at least 1-2 things." Eventually, I may be able to see the bottom of my desk again and find the "lost" things around here that I need! :D

It is amazing how much stuff we amass over the years, NSquirrel. Reminds me of an old George Carlin routine about places to keep our "stuff." It is so much more difficult to get rid of the "stuff" than it is to acquire it in the first place! D

Occupation foole!