What's new

Who's buying the new Macbook Pro?!

Another little voice keeps asking me......
How much of the huge price increase is due to the new technology?

How much is due to the weak pound?

How much is due to Apple greed? (If any?)
This might help, if only just a bit:
I've got my MacBook Pro 13" last year in March (~ 2,260 €). The new one with the same processor, memory and flash storage, would cost me about 300 € more than last year.

Don't come cheap do they, [emoji15] just been price checking

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

It's probably a combination of all three.

Regardless of the experience and all it can do, the new pricing will knock many out of buying one. Most people don't have that kind of money to spend on a laptop.

New tech is easy to price. Compare prices with the model that lacks the touch features.

Weak pound? The pound has lost 20% of its value since Brexit, from $1.50 to $1.20

Greed? At current exchange rates and prices, Canadian buyers could buy cheaper in the U.K. Haven't worked out whether Americans could too.

New tech is easy to price. Compare prices with the model that lacks the touch features.

Weak pound? The pound has lost 20% of its value since Brexit, from $1.50 to $1.20

Greed? At current exchange rates and prices, Canadian buyers could buy cheaper in the U.K. Haven't worked out whether Americans could too.
I didn't take any notice of MacBook prices before the event.
I do know that the same spec I have now has gone up roughly £350 since 2014, Thats probably about right?
I now wonder if I might be better getting a 2015 MacBook Pro, This would be an upgrade for me and more affordable.
I have noticed these are disappearing fast too since the event.

Last edited:
I didn't take any notice of MacBook prices before the event.
I do know that the same spec I have now has gone up roughly £350 since 2014, Thats probably about right?
I now wonder if I might be better getting a 2015 MacBook Pro, This would be an upgrade for me and more affordable.
I have noticed these are disappearing fast too.
Presumably Apple was letting the inventory run down in anticipation of the announcement of the new MacBooks. Anything left in Apple Store inventories would be shipped to resellers with the exception of those kept for warranty and out of warranty replacement purposes.

Presumably Apple was letting the inventory run down in anticipation of the announcement of the new MacBooks. Anything left in Apple Store inventories would be shipped to resellers.
I noticed that its now getting hard to find the 2015 MacBooks, Obviously people are snapping them up as they can't/won't pay the new prices.

I'm referring to my spec, Not sure on the lower spec.

I noticed that its now getting hard to find the 2015 MacBooks, Obviously people are snapping them up as they can't/won't pay the new prices.

I'm referring to my spec, Not sure on the lower spec.
There's also the new MacBook Pro without the new Touch Bar that was also released yesterday.

There's also the new MacBook Pro without the new Touch Bar that was also released yesterday.
Yes I'm seriously considering that one, Its still a very nice upgrade.
Just been looking at the comparison.

• MACBOOK PRO 13-INCH 2.0GHZ DUAL-CORE I5 256GB SPACE GREY

APPLE_MLL42.jpg

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.0GHz dual-core i5 256GB Space Grey
Special Price £1,405.54 Regular Price£1,449.00
Qty

Also found a reduction here, Means waiting longer though.

Just had a look through that article I posted. Apple make £8 less on a computer sold in the U.K. than they do on the same one sold in the US. so it appears they cut their margins a bit.

Of course, the British consumer gets hosed because sales tax is 20%

Just had a look through that article I posted. Apple make £8 less on a computer sold in the U.K. than they do on the same one sold in the US. so it appears they cut their margins a bit.

Of course, the British consumer gets hosed because sales tax is 20%
Oh yes, Thats our wonderful government.
They would tax the air we breath if they could get away with it.