What's new

Who's buying the new Macbook Pro?!

Part of the upgrade to Sierra involves making a decision to transfer your documents and desktop to the cloud. If you do this, they disappear from your Mac entirely, as some users have found to their cost.

No internet, no documents.

I think Apple is trying to push users in the direction of no cables and having everything in the cloud. That's all well and good, until you lose your internet connection.
Agree.....I don't really like change, When something works well I'm very reluctant to change it.

Like it, but even now, as l see and if you only have normal phone with not a blitz fast connection you can't connect anyway.
When l wanted to update yesterday to 10.1.1 my internet was down and l only had E on my handy so nothing worked.
Maybe if l had LTE it would have worked, don't know.
Could it be that they are half way there l wonder?

Like it, but even now, as l see and if you only have normal phone with not a blitz fast connection you can't connect anyway.
When l wanted to update yesterday to 10.1.1 my internet was down and l only had E on my handy so nothing worked.
Maybe if l had LTE it would have worked, don't know.
Could it be that they are half way there l wonder?
Unfortunately iOS updates can only be done over WiFi.

Just read something that neatly sums up Apple's new philosophy.

2010 - There's an app for that.

2016 - There's an adapter for that.

Part of the upgrade to Sierra involves making a decision to transfer your documents and desktop to the cloud. If you do this, they disappear from your Mac entirely, as some users have found to their cost.

No internet, no documents.
The Documents and Desktop folders are still on your Mac, along with all of their content, they're in the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder. The only thing Sierra did was to sync the content of those folders with iCloud. The content is still there, it's just in a different location and now being sync'd - if you disconnect your Mac from the 'net, you don't actually lose anything in the iCloud location (~/Library/Mobile Documents).

The Documents and Desktop folders are still on your Mac, along with all of their content, they're in the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder. The only thing Sierra did was to sync the content of those folders with iCloud. The content is still there, it's just in a different location and now being sync'd - if you disconnect your Mac from the 'net, you don't actually lose anything in the iCloud location (~/Library/Mobile Documents).

That's a relief. Hadn't tried it myself after reading the horror stories.

That's a relief. Hadn't tried it myself after reading the horror stories.
Those particular horror stories stem from people who don't understand how macOS works. The iCloud Drive location in Finder is actually a special folder that only shows select content.

Here is an eye opener; open Terminal.app and issue the following commands (one command per line):

cd ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents
ls

Now, compare that output to what you see in the iCloud folder in Finder. The first command takes you to that location, the second command lists the content.

When I bought my first Mac, back in 2013, I knew nothing about OS X. I had spent the previous 13 years on Linux and BSD and there was no way I was going to trust my personal data to a new system without research. I spent 4 days on my new Mac mini scrutinizing every nook and cranny, every file and folder, and trying to break the system and find a reason to doubt it. What I found was a very robust system that was very reliable and stable. So, I made the switch to OS X and it has never let me down.

Understood. I haven't delved into this too much having decided not to use iCloud too much, but from what I've seen, most advice centres on how to restore the default behaviour rather than use the iCloud facility.

All employees of Apple have copies of this on their iPhones and watch it before starting work.