What's new

Who's buying the new Macbook Pro?!

Exactly! Even reducing them means people have to spend more money and of course they will be spending it with Apple.
Years ago Apple included all sorts of adaptors in the box with their computers and other devices.

I might stock up.

I'm definitely going to buy a spare MagSafe. I can see the original failing long before the MBP that it powers.

I might stock up.

I'm definitely going to buy a spare MagSafe. I can see the original failing long before the MBP that it powers.
Its just cables and adaptors for the new MacBooks.

Here is the list -
First-party accessories

• USB-C to USB adapter: from $19 to $9
  • Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter: from $49 to $29
  • USB-C to Lightning cable, 1 meter: from $25 to $19
  • USB-C to Lightning cable, 2 meters: from $35 to $29
  • USB-C digital AV multiport adapter: from $69 to $49
  • USB-C VGA multiport adapter: from $69 to $49
Third-party accessories

• SanDisk Extreme Pro SD UHS-II Card USB-C reader: from $49 to $29
  • Other third-party USB-C peripherals: about 25% off

I know, but I intend to do that anyway. Look at the 30 pin. Apple don't even make it any more and there are still millions of devices in service that use it.
Thats true.

I know, but I intend to do that anyway. Look at the 30 pin. Apple don't even make it any more and there are still millions of devices in service that use it.
I just checked the Apple Store app and the Apple 30 pin to USB cable is still offered for sale.

Looking at the numbers that @Maura dug up today, it appears that Apple have indeed been inflating prices more than is reasonable.

While it's easy to hate phone companies for their apparent excesses, perhaps we might have listened with a bit more sympathy when they were complaining about being forced to sell iPhones at a loss.

The question I have regarding computers is this:

Windows 10 is disgusting, but is it so bad that I'm prepared to pay a 50% premium to avoid it? I can buy any number of very well put together laptops for much less than the price of a new MBP. When the hardware is comparable, and in many cases superior, I'm beginning to feel that macOS may not be worth it, after all.

There is also competition from Linux, so Windows is not the only other avenue.

I just checked the Apple Store app and the Apple 30 pin to USB cable is still offered for sale.

Are you sure it's made by Apple? I tried to buy one a while back and was told only Belkin cables are available. That was at the Apple Store in Edmonton.

Are you sure it's made by Apple? I tried to buy one a while back and was told only Belkin cables are available. That was at the Apple Store in Edmonton.
Here's the listing. It says it's an Apple cable.
IMG_3281.jpg

Just bring up the listing in the Apple Store app while you're in the Apple Store.

Good idea. Thanks for the info. Now there are no kids "borrowing" my cables, I shouldn't have to keep buying them. Of course, Lightning cables are a different matter. They seem to disappear without trace quite frequently.

Shouldn't the question be who is ready to get the Apple alternatives? I will just wait cuz my 2013 model pro still performs well