What's new

What is a really good GPS App for the iPhone 4?

I've been trying mapquest and it works great - sometimes. Often it will just stop providing guidance, or not start. Not sure what's up with that. The other annoyance is that you must enter an address. I use a garmin device that let's me use a map scroll to pick the destination, which is real handy when I kinda know where something is but just don't know all the turns to get there. I've not found a way to do that with mapquest. Any suggestions?

I love that it is integrated through your car's head unit though and would like to figure out how to make it work better.

It's a get what you pay for thing. There are several free navigation apps in the app store... None seem to work to great. Just buy tom-tom or navigon....

Why has no one suggested MapQuest?
it's a free app and it's fantastic, had it since I got my iphone 4 and it has given me no problems whatsoever
Me too!! Gives you turns also. Won't let you miss one.

I have downloaded the Geocaching app onto my Iphone 4g. The "maps" app on Iphone does not give text to speech directions.

Am I to assume I have to download anothe GPS app to get this feature and to have it work with Geocaching app?

My eyes are hurting now... huge font much! lol Google maps for me.. simple... lol

Tomtom ownes them all. altho it's expensive...
i have a solution for that: JAILBREAK YOUR iPHONE! I dl'ed tomtom benelux, europe and West europe in one night on my mac and just placed them in iTunes... that's it :) 20 minutes sync and you're done... :)

The MapQuest app is great and free. But I agree with palio if you rely on a GPS it's better just to get one. On the other hand if yer just like me and just get lost every once and awhile this one seems to work. In San Antonio, Tx anyway.

In Australia, Tom Tom is $89, it is aberrant when Nokia, Gamin phone and other phones have free navigation; I think Tom Tom need to have a good look at themselves.
In OZ, I use Metro view, cost me $24; good value for money and does the job. I would refuse to pay $89 to Tom Tom.

Last edited:
I have been really unimpressed with TomTom got it on sale for $25 & still wasn't worth that....