What's new

What is a really good GPS App for the iPhone 4?

I did not see the GPS Drive app in the app store, is the the name of the app?

the default maps app would be good enough if it had voice telling you where to turn..etc

the default maps app would be good enough if it had voice telling you where to turn..etc

Yea, cept google Is going to keep that for android. I can see eventually the maps app changing all together if google and apple keep butting heads.

maps is justa pain to use especially if your on your own you have to keep pressing next keep up with the blue pin. its more like an electronic map not gps you have to have some one there directing you all the time, i would cars if i was on my own trying to use that thing

waze is good but it does not find specific places very well. for instance when i type my address XX milton road it finds milton road not the number and then tries to direct me to the other side of milton road..

I've tried waze a few times. I've been disappointed with it every time.

The first time I got it, I guess only an Israeli version was available and the only language was in Hebrew.

When the English version came available, and it was suggested on this forum, I figured I'd give it another shot.

It's not very user friendly, the menus are small and complicated, and especially difficult to use when you are trying to drive at the same time. Not only that, but it creates strange routes that force you to mess with the phone to get it to work right, again, making you fuss with confusing menus while driving.

I know it uses aggregate user data to create the routes and show where traffic is bad to suggest better routes. But hardly anyone in my area uses it. I live in Orlando, Florida, so if there's no one here using it, there's even fewer people using it in less populated areas. This makes the user-generated features less appealing.

The app just sucks.

So far, my favorite free navigation app is MapQuest. It's easy to set up destinations for driving directions, shows an easy to read map, has loud voice guided directions, and works great with multitasking. When I have it plugged into my car stereo, it'll tell me the directions ON TOP of the audio from another app, even if the other app isn't multitasking compatible yet.

Sure, it probably can't beat NAVIGON or the other expensive GPS apps, but you can't beat it for the money.

I still use the pre-installed google maps app for looking up businesses and phone numbers quickly, however.

I actually got both the MotionX GPS Drive ($0.99) and MotionX GPS ($2.99) and think they both are pretty decent. One is for driving, and if you want to be able to mark wavepoints and get different coordinates MotionX GPS does that. I use that one the most since I am outdoors a lot and moving around.

Skobbler is free and does voice turn by turn... Works pretty well! Even worked in Florence, Al on the edge network

I use Navigon but only because I have used iGo8 previously on a windows mobile, it is great. Not a huge fan of tomtom.

I bought iKitt the other day that won't help with the directions but doesn't half make the journey a little more fun!!!

Why has no one suggested MapQuest?
it's a free app and it's fantastic, had it since I got my iphone 4 and it has given me no problems whatsoever

Map quest is available in app store.
MQ_iPhone_AppIcon.png

I've been trying mapquest and it works great - sometimes. Often it will just stop providing guidance, or not start. Not sure what's up with that. The other annoyance is that you must enter an address. I use a garmin device that let's me use a map scroll to pick the destination, which is real handy when I kinda know where something is but just don't know all the turns to get there. I've not found a way to do that with mapquest. Any suggestions?

I love that it is integrated through your car's head unit though and would like to figure out how to make it work better.